Any coffee "connoisseurs" out there ? What kind ? And "how do you like it" ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any coffee "connoisseurs" out there ? What kind ? And "how do you like it" ?

Post your java likes and dislikes...
I like Columbian coffee as a standard but looking for a new "something"
Gevalia or whatever.
Blue mountain ...Petes. etc.
Cream and sugar
Looking for new brand soon though.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamaican Blue Mountain is the BEST I've ever had,my Wife and I spent 2 weeks in Negril,but...49.95 a lb. is a little bit over my liking!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
well i never was one to put on airs……. All i drink is plain black coffee no sugar no cream and now for about the only coffee i buy to have at home for about the last 20 years is ,.. Dunkin donut original blend arabica coffee .., Buy it at dunkin donut's shop 3 lb's for $19.99 …. on the road driving truck if i do not have a Dunkin around i go to a Sheetz service station or a truck stop…….. Never buy at Starbucks or places like them.. Never drink that stuff that people call coffee now but it is not coffee to me...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm some kinda sewer but I don't know that it's coffee.

I like Dunkin Donuts (ground beans to take home) for weekends - black.

At home for my work thermos and morning mugs in the drip machine Folgers Classic - black.

We also have a Kurig machine and I get Green Mountain Colombian Fair Trade K-cups for that - black.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also a big fan of Dunkin, way better imo than starbucks that is for sure. Another chain I like is Intelligencia, but cup for cup, I'll stick with Dunkin. And no, I don't own stock, but I should!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't drink coffee until I was about 38 years old. Started drinking coffee with breakfast at a Sambo's, which later was The Kettle. Liked it, been hooked on coffee ever since. After The Kettle closed, I found Jack and Jill Donuts' coffee to be possibly even better. A few years later, they changed brands and it was not the same. Yuck!
I've tried to reproduce that wonderful taste at home, but have never accomplished it. I've tried different ways of making different kinds/brands of coffee. Never got close to the taste I wanted. I even tried the old percolator, heated on the kitchen burner, electric percolators, drip, auto, etc.; but never got the taste I wanted.
Now I go to Albertson's and buy their bulk coffee. I like the Seattle mixed with the Costa Rican. It's nothing like the Jack and Jill Donuts' coffee, but it'll do until I find someone else's coffee that I like. I was using Yuban dark before I found the Albertson's bulk coffees.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any coffee pleases me as long as I can add
d3O1m1h-xygi.png

Don......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found any difference between coffees, it's all in how much they burn it and how strong you brew it. I like a little milk or cream in my coffee but no sugar. I do like Cafe DuMond's coffee aulait with chicory and I know some people don't like the chicory.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
well i never was one to put on airs……. All i drink is plain black coffee no sugar no cream and now for about the only coffee i buy to have at home for about the last 20 years is ,.. Dunkin donut original blend arabica coffee .., Buy it at dunkin donut's shop 3 lb's for $19.99 …. on the road driving truck if i do not have a Dunkin around i go to a Sheetz service station or a truck stop…….. Never buy at Starbucks or places like them.. Never drink that stuff that people call coffee now but it is not coffee to me...

My uncle used to say to me...."bozo..get me a cup of coffee..raw."

How else do you drink it but......RAW!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I ordered a large espresso at the oldest bakery in the city. They brought me a huge bowl full of expresso. It was like putting high octane in an old car. I was so hopped up, I couldn't shut up.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at a Hess station this morning on the way to beach and got a large Dunkin Donuts coffee...
I like that brand... tis good actually.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When on patrol, there was always a Dunkin within car reach. Foot patrol, you had to hike a bit, but I managed to hit Dunkin. At home, it's Folgers Classic.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
+1 for Jamaican Blue Mountain
Whole bean, grind to expresso dust fine, run through drip pot with double filters and be ready to bounce off the walls after the second cup! 2nd highest caffeine content of all coffees as far as I know. Only drawback is the price so I don't splurge often.

Daily.....Colombian brewed black as the ace of spades

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever I brew up over the campfire works for me. Right now I have a can of regular Folger's in my camp gear. I can't get Cain's, but that was the staple in Oklahoma. No sugar or cream and very hot. I noticed growing up that those in my family with a greater degree of Indian blood would use an awful lot of sugar in their coffee. Another curious custom I observed among some of the old folks in SE Oklahoma is they never drank coffee out of the cup. They would pour it into a saucer, blow on it, and sip it from the saucer. I don't know where that came from and haven't seen it since.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Being from the south, I grew up drinking plain old JFG, but as I got older either it or my taste changed. Now I mostly drink either Maxwell House or Sanka, although I really do like the blend they serve at IHOP and Cracker Barrel. I sometimes by them for a really good coffee blend. I have tried most of the store brands, even the ones where you can grind them fresh yourself. I think more important, at least to me, is the method in which it is made. Almost any coffee will benefit from a precise brewing method. I have found I don't particularly like most of the automatic coffee machines on the market. There are exceptions however as most of the single cup brewers do a good job of making a precise cup of Java. rockhound

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love Blue Mountain Jamaican Blue Beam coffee for the taste number one without doubt but Cuban coffee definitely get you more of a get up and go , definitely feel the difference . Cuban has a great strong taste but Blue tastes as good .

Last edited:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best smoothest coffee I ever had came from Hawaii when I was out there. The 100% Kona coffee and not the imitation or mixed blends. Just very velvety and mixed well with a creamer to lighten it up just a tad.

But as far as everyday coffee to show I am no coffee snob a local chain carries a Southern Pecan flavored coffee that is great. About $8 a pound roughly. Now I do like to get whole bean coffee and grind fresh as I drink it. I just think it makes for a better cup/pot.

We like most also have the Keurig machines for a quick cup out the door as well as a Frappe machine too for those sweet cold coffee treats.

I don't do Starbucks (don't ask it is political and personal) but I do like DD on the run.

Forgot to add..........I use to buy in the past from a online source called Flying Bean in I believe either Oregon or Washington state. Too many blends; combos; and styles to list here. Go check them out.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever I brew up over the campfire works for me. Right now I have a can of regular Folger's in my camp gear. I can't get Cain's, but that was the staple in Oklahoma. No sugar or cream and very hot. I noticed growing up that those in my family with a greater degree of Indian blood would use an awful lot of sugar in their coffee. Another curious custom I observed among some of the old folks in SE Oklahoma is they never drank coffee out of the cup. They would pour it into a saucer, blow on it, and sip it from the saucer. I don't know where that came from and haven't seen it since.
You know i was raised in central Pa. and my grand dad and his buds always drank there coffee out of a saucer … They would pore the coffee in a cup then put it from the cup to the saucer to drink it…i thought that would cool the coffee down…And i thought it was something that was just from central PA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread