Digging up the History to our Land - Amazing Stuff!

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted a few of the items I've found in my yard in Washington, DC. The strange finds, like an old hoarse, musket ball, pottery shards, etc., got me thinking about who came before us. Although our house was built in 1939, the land has a long history.

I found the original land deed signed in 1890. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I just took some photos of it.

The land was purchased by the 13th Governor of Kansas, Edmund Morrill. Morrill, a Republican, was also a US Congressman and Major in the Civil War, Company C, 7th Kansas Calvary.

Even more interesting was who signed the deed, Bruce Blanche. Blanche, born into slavery was, at the time serving at the DC Registrar of Deeds. He was also the 1st US black Senator to serve a full term in office.

I was thrilled to find the deed and now own it. I can't wait to dig up even more history and artifacts.
220px-Blanche_Bruce_-_Brady-Handy.jpg 220px-ENMorrill.jpg IMG_2190.JPG Deed2.jpg

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding property and history!
I can only imagine what finds await you.
GL
Peace ✌

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love history, thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey scott9050,

Funny you should mention that. This all started after I began to discover large pieces of glass after a big rain. Every time it rained I would go out to pick up the glass and unfortunately, throw it away. After so much glass, my curiosity was peaked and I began to take a closer look. I started finding strange looking black rocks. I would wash them in a bucket and then they would float to the top. What floats in water? Pumice and bone! Although abstract in shape, the pieces looked like bone to me, but burnt bone.

I collected so much of it that I finally contacted the DC Police. They came out collected the evidence and I haven't heard from them since. They did however say, this happens all the time in DC. I believe if they are bones, there's no way to extract any DNA to identify them. I assumed that because our house (built in 1939), is located near some Civil War forts and batteries that the bones were that of animals cooked over an open fire.

Recently, I discovered more bones but these are not charred, in fact, they're clearly bones. Possibly animal? No clue but I will call the investigators again to have them collect the pieces of bone. I'm sure they think I'm crazy but better that than to ignore the possibilities.

IMG_2204.jpg IMG_2205.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody used a saw on them. If you put a ruler in there we may be able to tell you cat, deer or cow.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody used a saw on them. If you put a ruler in there we may be able to tell you cat, deer or cow.
Good idea! Yes, there are not only blade marks but teeth marks, most likely from a rabbit or rat.

Taking pics and measurements now... be back soon!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the bones with measurements. Not all found in the same area. Let me know what you think. ; )

IMG_2217.jpg IMG_2218.jpg IMG_2210.jpg IMG_2212.jpg IMG_2208.jpg IMG_2215.jpg IMG_2216.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions