New to MDing

Nashces

Apr 21, 2007
Columbus GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Hello All,

I go by the nickname of Nash. I am new to MDing for the most part. I use to do this with my Grandfather 20 years ago near Huntington WVA. Well in the last year i've decided to get back outdoors and do things I use to love as a kid.

I've recently got back into the Expensive Hobby of Bowhunting.... And decided I need something to do during the off seasons. I figure why not give MDing a try again.

Currently I don't even own a Detector. SO i guess my first question to you all here is which Detector should I try to start off with?

Take in consideration my Budget is limited due to Bowhunting being a new passion and I have a ex Wife and 3 kids and a New GF with 3 kids of her own. So im looking to get something new and fairly cheap in price but I dont want a junker either.

Anyways any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nash

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
For 225 bucks or less, you can get the Garrett Ace 250. It seems to be a decent starter detector and reviews have been very good on it. Lots of T-Netter's have used them and have some good finds.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard Nash,

This is a great site with a lot of super folks. Glad you are here. As far as the metal detector goes, The Ace 250 or the Tesoro Compadre. I have the Compadre and when I bought it, the Ace was not yet available. I bought the Compadre because I wanted to get into the hobby/obsession but did not want to spend a lot on my first detector. I have very happy with the Tesoro. Check them both out. Let us know what you decide.

OP
OP
Nashces

Nashces

Apr 21, 2007
Columbus GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Also I now live right beside Opelika/Auburn Alabama. Are there any known clubs and such down here that I could go talk to get advice on the proper way to MD?

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Hey Nash, I'm fairly new at this myself. I did this a little with my Dad 30 years ago.
I have a friend that ordered the Garret ACE 250 last week and he has used it 3 times and is impressed by it.
My brother ordered one today, and from all the great reviews this machine gets, if I had it to do again I'd start with one of these too.
You can order it on-line from Kellyco.com for 213.00 and it comes with all kinds of free stuff to get you started.

Good luck and welcome aboard !
Happy dirt fishin' !!!

Ima Swinger

OP
OP
Nashces

Nashces

Apr 21, 2007
Columbus GA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 4
Ok so I've decided to go with the Garrett 250 to start with. So i will start saving and hopefully have it in a month or so.

Quick question I see on the forums alot of guys and gals are digging up bottle dumps and such? Do the metal detectors pick up on the bottles? Or is the trash left behind along with the bottles?

Another question. I've been doing some research on the area I live and the Town i live beside is Pre Civil war era. Seems there use to be a stage coach... a Picnic area/Public Gathering field. This fields most exciting day was in 1856 when it had a presidential rally there.

Also have found out that there was a school for boys and another for girls. A Camp ground area used also for town meetings and a Railroad area.

SO i found this stuff out by doing a simple history check of Salem Alabama online. But cant seem to figure out the locations. Should i go to the opelika libary and see if there are any old maps there? Im hoping the areas are not established historical sites cause I doubt Ill get permission to dig there if they are.

Anyways any feedback on how to gain permission is greatly appreciated. Or any info on how to find Historical locations.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Finding the place is one problem and permission is another. Both are tough. I got permission to hunt and old home site on a farm that is being sold. Happened to belong to my old Dean. Anyway, I had the google hybrid map with everything labeled, the real estate map, and still wound up on the wrong farm. So just using newspaper accounts of rallies or things, it is tough to find the exact spot. Sometimes you can find old maps that will list places like parade grounds, fair grounds, camps, etc. Ebay has quite a number of old maps to look through. I would stay away from the books that supposedly list special or lost places to hunt.

Once you find the place, finding out who owns it is not easy. You can get Latitude and longitude data from Google maps and in some counties that will help identify the parcel. The county lands record office can help you identify the parcel number and that can be tied to a tax record to see who is paying the taxes and the assumption can be made they are the owner.

It is a tough task but once you learn the ropes, its not that bad. If you have a friend in real estate, they can help explain the ropes to you. They do it all the time when they see a piece of land they would like to develop. They have to find the owner.

Good luck and have fun with it all. It is all part of the game.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread