Why do weather forecasters have to be so creative?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
So, I chuckled a few years ago when The Weather Channel started naming winter storms, I laugh a little when they toss in how many millions of people will be affected, guess our winters need additional drama. Here in my part of the country, we're having a mild winter, yes some cold but to date, no snow. Riding in the car this afternoon, tuned in to an am radio station when the weather man creates some new terminology, he says we're in a snow drought! A snow drought?! Oh boy.....I hope The Weather Channel doesn't run with this.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are trying to scrape up ratings, just like any other news organization. They border on lying when talking about how bad the storm MIGHT be.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now i know why they closed the schools today here in my part of tn.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, there was a weatherman in Denver that was a 99.9% failure on his predictions, this guy was always wrong. Those of us who figured out dressing for the opposite of his predictions were always set to go!

Another good example was in Arizona. They used to call the sand storms a Haboob. They quit after the stations got flooded with emails & letters explaining where Arizona was located & it wasn't in the middle east!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I really hate the Fact they decided to name every lame storm :(

Was bad enough they started out naming Hurricanes
then some Douche decided every other one had to have
a mans name? for some unknown reason :icon_scratch:
I hate to think what other rules they have & are working on.

Let's just go back to Weather Bunnies

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have to try something I mean seriously how many times a day can you report the weather.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tonight widespread darkness followed by widely scattered light tomarro morning.expect variable breezes with stronger gusts in mtn.passes.temeratures should increase throughout the day with widespread cooling in the evening.

bam...I could be a spokeshole for the weather channel !!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to have a job that being wrong 60% of the time is the norm and acceptable.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
The weather here in Boston is unpredictable ,however the weather people here consider themselves as scientists, they are wrong all the time now,moreso than years ago.They have this fancy equipment and satellite stuff , they have no-nonse terms like probability, chances, chances of precipatation expectations and of course cloudy with intermittent moisture.In 1978 they forecasted flurries overnight and we got hit with a blizzard that closed the whole state for 2 weeks, there answer was HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED. They dress well get paid well and are considered celebritys. So my thought is everytime they are wrong we pick one out,get a rope and hang one of em. It sure would make a rainy day sunny for me

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what can I say ?==plain old weather news is boring as hell...that's why "eye candy" weather chicks and zany dudes get the weather jobs..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what can I say ?==plain old weather news is boring as hell...that's why "eye candy" weather chicks and zany dudes get the weather jobs..

it also makes us forget the amount of times they were wrong.

Saturdays 40 Degree day has just changed to 28 for a high
with Windchills as low as 0 :(

and Sundays 40 Degree day is now 3o's & Snow & rain

zany dudes don't do it for me though :(
that's the best you can call what we get
in N.E. PA :(

I seriously want the "eye candy" weather chicks.
& they must be under 23

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever since I was a kid (couple of years ago) I always wondered what the hell is/was the difference between a forecast of "partially cloudy" and "partially sunny"??? Maybe the weather person's mood? Kind of like the glass half empty or half full...????

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They get it wrong so much of the time there better be a little redeeming comedy in the weather forecasts!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got to Florida someone told me only two types of people try to predict the weather here. Fools and Yankees.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they should all use my method of weather predictions.....when the rock is white, it's snowing...when it's wet, it's raining, and when it's moving, it's windy...works everytime. When you can see it, daytime...when you can't, nighttime.....go figure....Gary

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Our local weather guesser was called "Lying Leon," for years. Now we got a Bimbo that isn't any smarter, but she's got -------------- nice hair ---- never mind. Used to be if they said 10% chance of rain meant it would rain 10% of the day. Lately it doesn't rain as much as it used to, and snow here is rare. One thing that gets me, the radio guy will say something like, scattered clouds, no chance or rain, and it's raining so hard it will drown lambs on a hill side, trust me, that has happened, and I'm screaming at the radio, "Look out the window you idiot." The old timers around here say if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes, and there is plenty of reasons to believe that. Mostly though it doesn't rain as much as it used to, it still rains a lot. Those big old trees need to be watered to grow as big as they do.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because lets face it...................meteorology is rather boring as it refers to reporting weather to the general public! I however think a storm chaser would be a great adrenalin packed job!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread