Bought property with a creek, and two small streams found gold first time I saw it

Yesterdaysgvl

Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK prospectors, I am new at this... I bought some property to build a cabin and while walking up a steep hill to check out an area for a home site I picked up these tiny quartz rocks, took them home and hit them a few times with a hammer then panned the bit I broke up (Didn't get them broke up very well so just a little bit to pan. I was just goofing off.... Well looks like there's gold in them there hills:hello2:. Most of the property is ancient creek bed and bottomland with not much buildable area except up a steep hill. The hill is layered with distinctive layers of different clay colors and rock content and quartz to the ancient stream bed with two springs leaching from part way up the hill from underground and making there way above ground crossing the ancient river bed to the creek... in the middle of the clay layers there is an odd hard rock formation (could it be a vent pipe, if so what do I do next?)

I'm looking for advice on what steps to take to enjoy (maybe even profit from) my piece of land. It is in the Southeast, but isn't in an area where most would expect to find gold.

I'm thinking of getting a pyramid pro pan, does anyone have any experience with them.. All I own is a gold pan my brother in law gave me, so what all should I purchase (BTW, I'm poor so cheap is good) Any recommendations for low cost ways to extract gold and how to get it out of quartz? I think I have a lot of learning to do...

Sorry for the low quality phone pics...
Gold photo 1 (14).JPG Gold photo 2 (7).JPG

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those quartz pieces have as much visible gold in them as it appears, you may be able to sell them as specimens for more money.

Great find.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen video where guys just soak the stones in acid to dissolve the rock and just collect the gold afterwards. I'm not sure which type of acid it was but it was pretty simple and cool. Took a bit of time but........the gold left behind was very clean.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the land purchase and finds...Good Luck prospecting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread