Need advice?

curiousmind

Nov 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my grandpa go treasure hunting and normally use his old metal detector, I'm not sure what kind but I keep telling him we should think about upgrading. He's not too fond of the idea but I was wondering do you think this is even matters? I would assume as the times change and technology improves there would be a better metal detector with a higher sensitivity which would of course increase the chances of us finding treasures but I'm no pro so please help.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the very old BFO units are still good detectors. How "old" is the detector? "Grandpa" could mean he's 34 and has a detector made in 2005. ;-)

I have an "old" detector made in 2002 that I will run against any for relics or just finding metal. A Minelab Musketeer Pro. If you don't mind digging a lot it will find the coins if they're within 10" of the surface. LOVES pulltabs and bottlecaps, though.

But it's like this: the best detector in the world won't find treasures if they are not there. More modern detectors will be lighter, faster, better separating multiple targets or targets in & under trash, take fewer or cheaper batteries or be rechargeable, better in saltwater beaches probably, and have better displays that can add to the enjoyment.

Really don't know your situation or your Grandpa's. There's a lot to be said for the old saying: "Learn to live with what you've got and you won't need what you have not. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm using my new digital detector rather than my older analog machine, not because it does a better job or goes deeper, but because the digital is lighter and has a cuff. If my old analog had a cuff, I probably never would have purchased a new detector. My old one is a Whites 6000 and I found a lot of really good stuff with it, but in my old age it is just to much for me to swing for long periods, and the lack of a cuff is the major defect. In some ways I like my 6000 better than the MXT, but neither will do you much good if you don't use them, so I have to go with the MXT for the lighter weight and cuff, because I use it most of the time, and let the younger grand kids use the 6000.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

As you get older you will come to the realization that the greatest value you achieved on any treasure hunt with your grandpa was having had the opportunity to be with him. It may also be a great thrill for him to be with you and watch you hunt. Enjoy the time together and put less emphasis on finding a greater treasure--which you wont--NWS any piece of equipment you use.
Don......

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! My thoughts are to enjoy the hobby, meet nice people and find interesting things.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upgrade, the old machines get the Job done. :icon_scratch: They just lack the technology that makes it more accurate at finding the good stuff. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mow some lawns and save up and buy Grandpa a new machine for his birthday. Then he will likely give you his old one and you will have two metal detectors to go hunting with.

OP
OP
C

curiousmind

Nov 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all make some good points. How we started in the first place though was because he was packing to go one day while I was at his house and I commented on how heavy the thing looked and the rest is history lol By the way it is heavy for a man in his 60's though he doesn't let it slow him down but I just hate seeing him have to carry it.

I probably will save up and buy him a new one that would be a great gift idea! I was thinking for a second to try and find an app that I could use to take him to some great spots by chance anyone know of any? (I know it's a long shot)

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still use my Whites 5D I bought in '76 along side of my Minelab 705. They both work fine.

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Old Metal Detectors

A friend of mine was going thru a nasty divorce and needed every dime he could collect. I bought his old Garrett Sidewinder BFO detector, made around 1970, It had been used very little and I have used it a lot. In going over sites I previously went over I found things I had passed over before. It had the Metal/Mineral feature that gave a slight indication of ferrous or non ferrous metals. I also have a Compass which is a really deep seeker but I really don't feel I am "under gunned" with the Sidewinder.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a 1980 BH 840 that still gets the job done (for me, anyway), but don't get to use it much. I've never had better luck with the other later model machines that I have. The latest was new last year.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If YOU buy the upgrade, I don't see what the problem is. If he doesn't want to buy it himself, he should not be made to feel like he has to. As Mackaydon said, it will become apparent to you that your time spent together will be the most valuable thing you get from this. I don't know your financial status or age, but if you buy another detector, you will double the amount of area you can cover in a set time. This will improve the chances of finding targets, but don't lose sight of the real goal: to have fun together and spend time with someone that surely enjoys spending it with you.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely need one that cost $2500..:laughing7:

SS

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking for a second to try and find an app that I could use to take him to some great spots by chance anyone know of any? (I know it's a long shot)

You mean like Google maps but shows spots for possible treasure hunting? Never heard of something like that. All I see on my Android are treasure hunting games and that's about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread