Garretts New Pro-Pointer AT video released from Garrett!!!

DUG-TV.com

Greenie
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason. Just like Seinfeld he THINKS he's a comedian.:laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It actually is super simple. You push one button and turn it on. You don't have to change the configuration for anything. Set it how you want and leave it alone. The Detuning or tuning feature is simple as well. Tap the button to tune out the audio as you get closer to the target.

Jason

Jason
Do not get me wrong I have been wondering why they did not waterproof them years ago. I hope you guys send Beau one. It is almost time to rewrap mine in shoe goo again for the summer. If I ruin mine I will get the new water proof one. 3 seasons of water hunting so far all is good. I made a post about this pointer coming out a week ago. I think Garrett listened to its customers needs after the ATpro came out and we appreciate the new product.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been writing them for years to please make one - Im a 95% water hunter now and plan on doing more diving this year - so looking forward to it

Thanks Gonehunting.
I look forward to release date.
Also, it sure has taken a long time for Garrett to produce a waterproof Propointer. So many have recommended/desired one for years?
RV sealant be gone. ;)
Peace ✌

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just water proofed mine in nov. but never took it in the water yet -- now I wont have to

Ok we have been water proofing these for years. They listened but they added functions. Press one for this twice for this and so on. I just need to turn it on and locate the target. My metal detector has enough functions already. Pin pointer is for faster recovery. Keep it simple and water proof.
The best feature for me is water proof and and a lanyard ring.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason
Do not get me wrong I have been wondering why they did not waterproof them years ago. I hope you guys send Beau one. It is almost time to rewrap mine in shoe goo again for the summer. If I ruin mine I will get the new water proof one. 3 seasons of water hunting so far all is good. I made a post about this pointer coming out a week ago. I think Garrett listened to its customers needs after the ATpro came out and we appreciate the new product.

I know why, it's very simple.
To save about a dollar per unit and primarily because they have little respect for their customers.
They just figure they don't know any better and in many instances they are correct.

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garrett's New Pro-Pointer AT video released from Garrett!!!

Or like any company out there, had a product that sold good and stuck with it. Has competition finally and had to evolve with the market or lose out. Garret is company and is most likely going to evolve because of free market. If there's no competition then there no push to change their product or improve it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have seen on the limited video selection the sensing function is very much like the TRX except not as good. The return to setting is the same also. Those who wish the single button and no frills should stick with the vibra probe. The last crop of pointers all have more than one menu selection. The other option would be to wait and maybe Garrett will upgrade the Pro Pointer so that it can be classed as being dependable. UPS loves the current model Pro Pointer because of the $14 ins/shipping for every breakdown and that has been in the thousands. I will say that I feel Garrett has moved into a positive direction as long as they have built them much stronger and the new users are not donating to the UPS cause as has been the case the last few years.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Or like any company out there, had a product that sold good and stuck with it. Has competition finally and had to evolve with the market or lose out. Garret is company and is most likely going to evolve because of free market. If there's no competition then there no push to change their product or improve it.

They actually had to make a conscious decision to intentionally engineer it as susceptible to water damage. Its a pointer, and not a cheap one at that. You know what they are used for right?

The Pro pointer is not even water resistant. That decision to engineer it that way was absolutely intentional. The end with the sensors in it is basically comprised of a sealed cylinder. Water won't get through the casing.
Its a good design, but also the cheapest one possible.

The decision to not add 2 rubber seals to the switch and battery compartments was deliberate. It would not have cost anything to do so.

You have to understand that $135 is absolutely nothing to most of these guys and some of them have simply purchased 3 or four replacement pointers.
Now they are all going to purchase one more.

A pinpointer that is not water resistant? Are you kidding? Think about that for a minute. Take as long as you have to.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They actually had to make a conscious decision to intentionally engineer it as susceptible to water damage. Its a pointer, and not a cheap one at that. You know what they are used for right?

The Pro pointer is not even water resistant. That decision to engineer it that way was absolutely intentional. The end with the sensors in it is basically comprised of a sealed cylinder. Water won't get through the casing.
Its a good design, but also the cheapest one possible.

The decision to not add 2 rubber seals to the switch and battery compartments was deliberate. It would not have cost anything to do so.

You have to understand that $135 is absolutely nothing to most of these guys and some of them have simply purchased 3 or four replacement pointers.
Now they are all going to purchase one more.

A pinpointer that is not water resistant? Are you kidding? Think about that for a minute. Take as long as you have to.

How many competing pinpointers at the time they were created were waterproof? Obviously it's done well for them because people payed for it. If people voted with their wallets they would have been forced to come out with a better design. I don't really see anyone complaining about their design coming out with a better product. I for one love competition, if we had more competition in our market today our internet would be lightning fast, Iphones wouldn't exist anymore and we would have a lot more waterproof and rugged built pinpointers.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
How many competing pinpointers at the time they were created were waterproof? Obviously it's done well for them because people payed for it. If people voted with their wallets they would have been forced to come out with a better design. I don't really see anyone complaining about their design coming out with a better product. I for one love competition, if we had more competition in our market today our internet would be lightning fast, Iphones wouldn't exist anymore and we would have a lot more waterproof and rugged built pinpointers.

Ok, I understand, just buy another one then.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could careless about being water proof ...im a land hunter and the only time i see mud is in the spring....but what i do care about is the pro pointer falsing in mid air or in my hole or falsing if i press it against the dirt ....i have acouple nice cut marks on mine from throwing it at trees after it wouldnt stop falsing in mid air on a fresh set of batteries.....dont get me wrong i love my pro pointer but they could have addressed better issues then being water proof

imagearhead

Sep 15, 2012
Cincinnati OHIO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250. 6.5x9 coil
Bounty Hunters Quick Silver2
Bose, over the ear noise reduction and volume control headphones wireless.
Garrett propointer.. I love the new one.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully its better...

I'm already on the prepaid waiting list for this new item. I just seriously hope it doesn't have the same issues that the first version had. For example; Constantly giving false signal, never turning off the first time the button gets pushed, constantly giving false signal.... Oh yeah, and did I mention the falsing issues. Lol.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm already on the prepaid waiting list for this new item. I just seriously hope it doesn't have the same issues that the first version had. For example; Constantly giving false signal, never turning off the first time the button gets pushed, constantly giving false signal.... Oh yeah, and did I mention the falsing issues. Lol.

Im willing to bet its the same thing in a new case with a couple bells and whistles and plagued by the same flaws i hope im wrong i really do like the pro pointer ...but id be lying if i said it didnt have its problems

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well hopefully not, the videos that were posted showed it didn't false with pressure applied to it. Maybe they fixed whatever was causing that :dontknow:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been writing them for years to please make one - Im a 95% water hunter now and plan on doing more diving this year - so looking forward to it

Then you need one of these for diving. Good to 120 feet. Not 10.

underwater-pinpointer-450x450.jpg

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You say you want to see stress put on the pro-pointer to see if it falsest? Then check out my video review. I did just that for you and more. And make sure to give Evan some love and buy from him when they come out.

Thanks for the review Jason. It looks like Garrett addressed the falsing issue. Will be interested in seeing the comments when this thing hits the market.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then you need one of these for diving. Good to 120 feet. Not 10.

View attachment 1107094

Another one that has a predecessor that has had a multitude of issues. Imagine being at 120 feet and the battery springs break while not sensing gold. Gota wait for for some very heavy duty field reports before investing in this one.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review Jason. It looks like Garrett addressed the falsing issue. Will be interested in seeing the comments when this thing hits the market.
Yeh i think ill wait on some reviews if it all checks out i will replace my pro pointer with it ....i still couldnt bring myself to sell my falsing old pro pointer even with all the problems it gives i wouldnt leave home without it

DUG-TV.com

Greenie
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If we are expecting this thing to be bulletproof, we may be disappointed. If you bend it hard enough or stab it long enough, you can break it. Under normal field tests and prodding holes like I usually do, the new PPAT did not false. My old one took very little pressure on the end or bending to false. This one took the torture. I'm not sure of what people expect from customer service, but Garrett has been amazing to me. Any time something was amiss, they took care of it. When I called, I spoke to a REAL PERSON, not a machine with endless holding queues. I have not ever had an issue with their customer service. They work hard to exude professionalism. Just my two cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread