Whites coinmaster gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Lemonman,

Usually each individual keeps his/her finds when hunting in a group or a club. As for the property owner, that all depends on the agreement between you and him. Some landowners do not care if you keep the finds, others may like a portion of the finds. What I usually do is say nothing about splitting the finds unless there is some hesitation or reluctance to allow me to search the property. In all cases other than an agreeable split, at the end, I offer the land owner his choice of an item. This builds good will and allows me to visit an area again. I have sometimes got a referral from this method. To me getting permission and have the ability to hunt an area is the most important thing for me; all the finds are secondary.

Regards,

OP
OP
L

Lemonman

Jan 14, 2015
Grand saline tx
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info,that's what I was thinking. Anyone else on this?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finder's keepers. I believe Solomon the Wise said that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finders keepers and what ever you work out with the land owner. Welcome to T-net sir and welcome back to hunting. Look forward to your post.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make the rules clear before you detect someone's property. I recently had a guy who asked me to detect his property, but he wanted to keep everything I found! What's my incentive to do that? Some people have a lot of nerve...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make the rules clear before you detect someone's property. I recently had a guy who asked me to detect his property, but he wanted to keep everything I found! What's my incentive to do that? Some people have a lot of nerve...

Just tell them sure but your hourly rate is $200, detectors aren't free.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Always hunt alone and keep everything you find. If the property owner asks for a split, give him a handful of pull tabs.

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Lemonman,

Usually each individual keeps his/her finds when hunting in a group or a club. As for the property owner, that all depends on the agreement between you and him. Some landowners do not care if you keep the finds, others may like a portion of the finds. What I usually do is say nothing about splitting the finds unless there is some hesitation or reluctance to allow me to search the property. In all cases other than an agreeable split, at the end, I offer the land owner his choice of an item. This builds good will and allows me to visit an area again. I have sometimes got a referral from this method. To me getting permission and have the ability to hunt an area is the most important thing for me; all the finds are secondary.

Regards,

I agree with the Professor. I Recently got permission from a local farmer to hunt some of his old homesites (5 total) he asked to tag along and he wanted half of the finds. My gear cost less than a grand, farm land cost $2000 to $3000 (he has several hundred acres) I said sure, you never know, I may get him hooked on the hobby or at least a good word to the neighbors!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always hunt alone and keep everything you find. If the property owner asks for a split, give him a handful of pull tabs.

My thoughts exactly. I still don't get the hunting with a friends mentality. Fun, sure, but what if one of your buddies finds something amazing 10 feet from you? The latest banner finds got me thinking about that. Can you imagine hunting with someone who finds three $20 gold coins a few feet from where you're detecting? That would kill me!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you detect with somebody in a typical detecting scenario, he who finds the goodie, keeps the goodie. There might be exceptional circumstances where this rule gets bent, but not many. With a landowner, you honor whatever deal you struck. If you don't like the deal offered, negotiate something better or walk away. An alternative possibility is offer to lend him your backup detector and hunt together while you are there (odds are, they will lose interest rapidly).

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything about ownership of recovered items needs to be decided and agreed upon before anybody turns on their machine.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that without great property owners some would have no place to detect. Be sprespectful and always be clear in the beginning. I normally tell them that if I find anything that can be tied to the house or a previous owner that it should stay with the house. Fir instance a spoon with a monogram or something of that nature. Always ask them if anybody has lost anything that you should be looking for. A piece of jewelry or something. This can also help to secure a permission. If you asking reminds them of a ring that little Suzy lost they may be more apt to let you hunt. Now for the important one. You need to at least touch upon this. If you should happen to find a rare and valuable find that you will split it with them. Make it known that this is unlikely but if it happens you guys will sell and split or one can buy the others half. And always be honest. Keep in mind that this person is allowing you on there property. They don't have to do that. And whatever you find would not be possible without them. I know Crusader has made some great valuable finds and always takes care of the owner. Another Tnet member found a Mass silver and sold and split with the owner. It's the right thing to do and the karma to come will be awesome. And if you want to get more permissions that word of mouth will help you a lot.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Everything about ownership of recovered items needs to be decided and agreed upon before anybody turns on their machine.

I already know who is going to be keeping everything when I turn on my machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What i find is mine .. And i would say that 99% of the time i hunt alone ….. I really do not like to hunt with any one.. You could call me the Lone Hunter ..In over 40 years of hunting i could count how many times i have hunted with others on one hand ….

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finders Keepers.

Of course a Large Cache/Treasure all bets are off
when the finder ain't lookin' I's a Crookin" :skullflag: Arrr ! :icon_pirat:

just kidding. Large Caches of above normal value / Treasures should be split evenly with all onboard

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread