What were you doing in 1986?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In 1986, my area was already well-pounded. We'd had a dealer here since the early 1970s. And 3 dealers in the county by the late 1970s. Guys had been detecting our area since about 1964-ish (is one guy I know of anyhow, there could have been others that early on). But I don't think that even when things were "virgin", that those early hunters (with their BFO's and all-metal TRs) were necessarily scarfing up with insane #'s. They still had to work for a 4 or 5 silver day. Because the machines didn't go that deep. And you were constantly fighting foil, tabs, etc... (no discrimination). I'm sure there were exceptions. Like if you read about the first guys to hunt around snack stand/concession booths at carnival sites, etc... But at least where I was at, those guys in the late 1960s to early 1970s, were only pulling 3 to 5-ish silvers on a multi-hour hunt, at the typical 1920's elementary school type hunt.

However, by the late 1970s, the advent of motion discriminators (6000d, etc...) made the parks & schools come alive. Because a) you were you immediately adding an inch or two. Especially in ground that was moderate to heavy minerals. b) you covered ground quick! and c) you were doing all this while simultaneously being able to knock out tabs and foil. So the silver -rush was on for a few years.

But by the mid 1980s, seems that everyone now had a motion discriminator, and the playing field was levelled again. Doh!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 21 years old and just getting out of the Army, my last duty station was Ft. Hamilton, Brooklyn, N.Y. Which actually consisted of 2 forts, Ft. Wadsworth on the Staten Island side these forts guarded New York Harbor and dated back to colonial times, I always wished I had a metal detector back than, there were achy digs on colonial sites and they were finding some cool stuff, especially on the Ft. Wadsworth side.Good stuff!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was running my own small placer gold operation full time.I was 24 with no real restrictions or bills.while my partner and I werent really getting enough gold to cover expenses by its weight,we found a great way to sell it for many times its weight.we put prolly .50 cents of flour gold in small 1 dwt vials,filled them with vegie oil.we had them blister packed onto cards exclaiming 24k gold locally mined.we had a rack in almost all the small stores up here.we get $3.00 ea.and bam...we were making a modest living.

ahh...good times

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was 22 living 1200 miles from home, (Florida), struggling with a baby on way. When time permitted, at the beach laughing at the "old dudes" in socks and flip-flops metal detecting.
How times change. ;)
Peace ✌

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back in that day, I took a couple of months and 'walked lines' criss-crossing the entire grounds of what was then called the Palisades-Brentwood Jr. High School in WLA No one ever bothered me (prior to the school day opening--I'd quit at the first sign of a student arriving). The school had opened in 1955. After covering the entire school grounds, I had several hundred coins and other assorted goodies. I submitted pics of my finds and a schedule of my daily finds to a TH magazine and got noted for persistence; and being somewhat crazy. Actually, I realized I was 'ahead of the wave' and hunted as often as I could. 10-15 years earlier, I lived on the Venice beach. Each day of heavy winds, I could walk out in the sand and pick up a dollar of coins. Those were exceptional days--and filled with good memories (and finds). Today, parts of that beach have now been reserved for a bird sanctuary--and the rest is probably heavily searched daily by the locals.
Don.....

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see, in 1986 I had been married 3 years or so, was in my fifth year as a patrol officer and trying to figure out my Whites 6000 DI pro. Had a ton of fun with that thing. Wish I still had it.

JimK

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1986 I had been married for 2 years, working as a painter in a autobody shop, and detecting with a Whites 4500d from Sears that I had gotten as a Christmas present in '85

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Graduate school for physics.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in 9th grade, trying to get laid and rocking to Guns & Roses, Motley Crue, and the Scorpions!

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got out of a marriage, moved from Minnesota to Black hills, SD. met my current wife, started college studying computer programming and computer electronics and started delivering pizzas. I was 28.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was teaching high school and going up pretty dry creeks in the llano uplift area of Texas. Outside of Brady, my old $25 RS detector would find smooth black rocks for me. Some small, some fairly large and all shiny silver when you scratched them with a knife.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my first detector in 1979 and yes there was virgin spots all over. I can remember getting out and finding silver every day.

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 1975, a friend loaned me a metal detector because I was curious. I took it to a local park and (this is the honest truth!) the very first thing I found was not can slaw, a pop top, a pull tab, or a clad coin. The very first item I found was a 1944 Walker half. I was sold on the hobby and am now in my 40th year!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working telecom, living in Columbia, Missouri with ex and daughter, but working in Nebraska City Nebraska.... Drive to work on Sunday afternoon and home on Fri nights...Sucked in the winter, long drive in the snow.....

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1986... Lived in Southwest MI. Just got out of a long haired rock band called "Fantasy" (drummer). Working at General Motors (10th year). Driving a 406 small block super custom Chevy Vega. Married 1 year to my ex.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Partying...
Chasing girls...
working and living on the beach...

Should have been in Keys working the Atocha.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1986 might be close to twenty years late to the party - I think the first generation of detectorists were going strong by the
mid sixties . I think those early guys and gals did a good job too without all the bells and whistles - they "hoovered up"
a lot of the silver coins back then . Have you noticed how far off the beaten path you have to go to find silver coins in
and around towns and cities these days ? You pretty much have to spot a sidewalk replacement , or a little patch of
dirt way under some hedgerow of large bushes - or have permission to hunt a private property . I too was interested
in hearing the stories from that time when detectors became widely available to the hobbyist . I posted the same
questions here on this forum perhaps six months ago - but I was asking for stories from the mid-60's to early 70's,
got some great stories too .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread