What were you doing in 1986?

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was 12, swinging a Micronta 3001.

Wishing I was the guy with the Cool Garret..

Welcome to T-Net DannyB!

I was doing the "Mr Mom" thing until the kid was old enough for daycare.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh dear, I was young and cute (okay, younger and not bad-looking), didn't have any arthritis, was making good money, and in 1986 we went to Nepal, China, Singapore, Japan, India, Austria, Italy, England and a bunch of other places, just for fun. Now I have trouble 'doing' Wal-Mart and Costco on the same day and I don't consider either to be fun.

I didn't pay any attention to metal detecting except I offered to buy my nephew an MD for a gift but my sister wouldn't allow it for some reason (???).

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in 9th grade, trying to get laid and rocking to Guns & Roses, Motley Crue, and the Scorpions!

Add Quiet Riot, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Poison, Boston, Steve Miller Band I'm headed to to listen to 80's rock on Pandora now! Can't re-live all the habits I was partaking in unfortunately! :(

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already a 15 year veteran of dirt digging by 86. Started in early 1971, just after I got out of the Service and went to work. Borrowed, then bought, a co-workers Whites TR machine. Don't remember the model but it still had the little round strength meter. Heavy machine but worked well enough to get me really hooked. By 86, with several upgrades and lots of finds, we were already talking about the local parks and school yards being hunted out. Of course with each technical improvement, we would go back and find more from those hunted out places.

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was 23... a warehouse foreman...swinging. a whites 6000.. 2 kids...but found a lot of silver...mostly 50's dimes..had a blast

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1986 marked my 22nd year at swinging a detector. My digging buddies and I were scrambling to find new places that hadn't been dug yet, and we would hit a hot spot every couple of months that would be worked out by us in a few weeks and then the search started all over again. You have to realize that by 86 a large percentage of places had been hit hard for years by guys with BFO's and TR's, myself included in that crowd. The new VLF's with visual and audio ID were like magic to us and we really hit it hard in the Atlanta area with at least one full digging day a week, and sometimes I would dig during my lunch break at work, and always tried to stop and dig on my way home from work. I had a flashlight in my gear and if I was doing good then I'd dig into the night. We also dug sites that had been worked hard with the older machines and still got some goodies. Found mostly coins, but CW relics too. I sold everything I found about as fast as I could dig it, relics, coins, and jewelry and spent the clad coinage as I was raising kids and needed every penny I could get. I get ribbed about the day I dug two nice gold rings out of the same hole in a park we were digging and I immediately went to a pawn shop to sell them, then returned to finish the day digging with my buds, and my wallet swollen with cash.
I was visiting one of my digging buddies from the 80's awhile back, and he was showing me his dug silver from those days and had close to two gallons of silver coins and I probably had about the same amount as we dug as a team for years and our finds were pretty consistent with each other.
So, 1986 was a good year for my treasure hunting, with lots more silver than I am finding now though I still enjoy it as much or more than I did then. There are still silver coin bonanzas out there, just have to keep plugging away, be patient, and use your head.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
FIRST REALLY STARTED DETECTING IN 1979 WITH MY DADS "GROUNDHOG" * SO I BEEN AT IT OH 35 YEARS OR SO NOW..YES SILVER WAS QUITE COMMON BACK THEN --BUT THE PRICE OF IT WAS LOW TOO.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a little RS Micronta in 1980, then bought a BH 840. Hunted some parks, but had more finds at the elementary schools. Then in 1982, work and family caused me to get out of most of it. In 1986, I started being 'self-employed' on January 1st. There wasn't much time to MD that year, or the next. I believe it was 1988 when I got the BH out in the yard and started MDing again. The yard had been a field a few years prior. Found a lot of junk, such as pieces of old cast iron wood stoves, square nuts, bolts, etc., so started going to an elementary school when I could. About the 3rd trip, the detector started 'acting up' and so I quit for a while. I bought another BH, a Tracker II D/707 in 1999, but didn't really like the 'motion' type detectors. Now I have a working BH 840 but health won't let me use it very often, and for only a few minutes at an outing. Will try some more hopefully this spring. Can't stand the cold now at 72 years old and the meds makes it worse. Hell to get old! Hope the rest of you have it better!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1986...Going through divorce #1 and living in Valencia Ca.,
then moved to an apt. that I found out was on the worst
crack street in America.

Had a 5000D Series II Whites, but no time to use it.

'86 was a very bad year.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DizzyDigger just depressed the poo out of me!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
slingshot , great post . What's the most silver you recall getting in a single day ? And what type site was that at ?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Married with two young daughter's, Working a fulltime regular job, then my 30 hour a week Hobby, working n playing in a Custom Paint shop.
Pro Street cars and Hot Rods, the hobby that takes all your extra cash, and then some..
Had a big 4th of July party and got arrested for Illegal fireworks. Something I will away's remember the Shuttle disaster that year.

79 to 89

79 to 89.jpg

These guys had the right ideas, around the 80's I would guess.
Quit there jobs and became pirates, Bob has now passed and Frank lives just a few miles North of me.
Bay hunters that Hunted from the Old Shark Pit to the Northern Shores of the Bata Shoe Factory....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
OBN, thanx for the video link. Fun to watch ! What year was that filmed in ?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, thanx for the video link. Fun to watch ! What year was that filmed in ?

.. Hay tom my uncle just past away down in San Deigo.. I might be west.. if you want to hit up some hills....

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal Detects all areas...........

Last edited: