CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A recent thread declared 13 wheat cents unearthed in one hole to be a cache.
Others disagreed, to say it's a spill.
I believe objects of value, when "purposely" hidden for future use, constitute a cache.
Whether it be HotWheels hidden from a sibling in the 70s, recent Banner finds of silver n gold, or 13 Wheaties, each is a cache.
Peace ✌

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
My opinion is a cache is hidden on purpose, to be retrieved at a later time. A spill is dropped by accident. I found a row of six Indian head pennies at an old one room schoolhouse on a hillside. I believed that to be a spill.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it right, a cache is put there on purpose, a spill is and accidental loss of multiple items in the same spot.

I think that 13 coins in the same hole is very likely a cache (even if it's a kid's cache), as it would be pretty hard to drop that much in one spot without SOMEONE seeing it and picking it up.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once found 18 quarters - in a nice horizontal stack. No evidence of a paper coin roll but I assume that it was a partial coin roll. Not a cache - just a chance drop in the middle of a town park.

Sure made my lunch-break!

woodrat

Dec 26, 2014
louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer se. Whites trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when I found the 13 wheats I sure thought cache

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A cache here in Middle Tennessee is when you've dug up 5-10 old iron horseshoes and SUDDENLY you see something small and round at the bottom of the hole. You carefully get it out only to discover it's an old thick washer or nut from an old horse drawn wagon. I still haven't found a cache with my MD but when I find that elusive "golden horseshoe" you all will HEAR ME!!! And a single coin will definitely be a cache. And all these horseshoes are definitely a spill. I think a blacksmith strewed these shoes out just to piss me off 150 years ago.

Spill.... 10,000 horseshoes!!!!
Cache... 1 single coin!!!!

Just humor me folks.... :tongue3:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it right, a cache is put there on purpose, a spill is and accidental loss of multiple items in the same spot.

I think that 13 coins in the same hole is very likely a cache (even if it's a kid's cache), as it would be pretty hard to drop that much in one spot without SOMEONE seeing it and picking it up.

Its sad, but I find Bum Caches all the time..Once i found a whole roll of pennies lined up, the paper was long gone, but sure enough, it was 50 pennies

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL!

I know where you're coming from. My property is where old farm equipment came to die. I have an entire horse-drawn cultivator I dug - plus not only the tips from broken tines but extra tines I have excavated. And buckets of iron "cornflakes" the size of my hand. So far - 11¢ (one dime and one cent - both from the 1980's). And about 12 pounds of shotgun slugs. One definite slug cache where a log or stump must have been that was fired into but later removed.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL!

I know where you're coming from. My property is where old farm equipment came to die. I have an entire horse-drawn cultivator I dug - plus not only the tips from broken tines but extra tines I have excavated. And buckets of iron "cornflakes" the size of my hand. So far - 11¢ (one dime and one cent - both from the 1980's). And about 12 pounds of shotgun slugs. One definite slug cache where a log or stump must have been that was fired into but later removed.

I hear ya Charlie... We both know what a spill and a cache is... but I swear a single coin at this time would be cache for me. Sound like you have experience digging old iron also... Need some horseshoes or old iron chain links? Just come on down to my Tennessee woods and old road.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks - I'll pass.

But I did dig a useable 15 ft logging chain that I find handy and the lead I re-melt for round balls in my muzzleloaders.

And if anyone wants to pay the postage . . .

IM000740.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these days Limitool you will find those golden horseshoes!

I have found multiple pennies that because of being at the same depth and somewhat stacked I figured were a coin roll drop, and I have ran across a scattering of pennies in a 36X36" area a drop too.
Then 6 quarters and 2 dimes same hole a drop, but if it's wrapped in anything, buried next to a tree, etc. I would think it's a cache.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread