Help for a deaf detectorist

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new guy joined our club and the poor guy is deaf. He currently is using a fisher F2 with a vibraprobe and as he comes across a target it vibrates but its slow, not that accurate and sometimes doesn't work at all. I read some time ago about a red LED light attached to a Garrett 250 but unable go find it. Really want to help this old guy so if anyone knows of such a thing for sale or who makes them let me know plz. Thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could take his detector to a electronics guy and hook up the wires that go to the speaker to an affixed light bulb on the top of detector box? Just an idea.

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
iowa formerly from the south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had more time to tinker.
I'd assume it would be possible to wire different colors of LED to show different tones etc. I might be able to do some digging/tinkering on the matter mid feb (unpacking from move and doing a couple other tnet projects currently)
I would think a audio LED meter (such as those on amps that go red yellow green) would be easy to fab up. Hard part would be calibrating it.

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stereo VU Meter Electronic Kit K4305
Never taken apart a fisher nor am I familiar with it. But a kit like this would if wired in properly would be quite helpful.
Could possibly travel to the nearest college and see if the tech/elec dept would be interested in doing a project/assembly using a kit like I linked. Or even a craigslist ad.
If you do something like this. I believe you would want a MONO not stereo vu meter as well

Last edited:

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last note. Depending on the pcb etc you could even make it to where it won't ping /light up with certain metals if you know the given audio frequency to.
I'm sort of surprised there isn't a company who does fab kits for deaf or blind people. The cost of the parts is well under 50 it'd just be getting the various popular brands of MDs so that one could fab up a housing box attachment and proper calibration

redbull

Sep 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe try this, or if you really want a led, and know someone handy see 2nd link

Vibra-Phone 280
Replace sound with vibration
Treasure Products, Inc | Home of the Vibra-Probe

METAL DETECTING FOR THE DEAF OR HARD OF HEARING
led rig
Metal detecing for the deaf or hard of hearing
[h=1][/h]

The problem with your second link is from what I Googled the f2 is a 4 tone detector (tone volume according mainly to metal type and roughly size???) With just 1 led light it'd be impossible to differentiate the types. Where as a audio VU meter or even multiple led panel can be programmed to respond to the F2 tones accordingly

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He should look into getting a Nokta Core machine. Don't have one
myself, but have read several reviews about it. There is a vibration
mode in the grip, and it is said to be very sensitive, vibrating at
even the smallest targets.

I'm near deaf myself, so I've looked into them.

Definitely worth the time to check into.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Some one on ebay did years ago sell a light that plugged into the headphone jack and the light fastened to the top of the detector when you hit a target the light would light.. could be radio shack could make one up .. Or on the treasure forums under wanted to buy you might find some on that has one they want to get rid of ..If i remember right they only cost about $10.00

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no suggestions other than ones mentioned...
BUT...
I have to say...
I am proud of all you guys.:)

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I'd just mention that the Nokta FORS CoRe (mentioned above), a relatively new machine to the market, and has a handle vibrates when passed over a signal. The vibration works in conjunction with the Discrimination setting. Maybe somebody can tell us about its efficiency.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested the Fors CoRe at the beach and found it to be a very good detector and built in handle vibration works great. I hunted with no headphones and found with vibration I didn't need one.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some old posts had ideas.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/162957-metal-detecting-deaf-hard-hearing.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/2693-crappy-hearing-metal-detectors.html

A l.e.d. hooked to headphone jack will benefit from enough wire to mount in a convenient for viewing location. One was made commercially but being a non sponsor shall not be listed.
A vibrating motor, cell phone or whatever kind, can be tapped into headphone cord. Mounting choice would follow, wrist or detector handle ect.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The LED is a good suggestion, also go on Ebay and look for vibrating motor. All different sizes available very cheap. Two wire hookup to a headphone jack and slide it into the handle. VOILA! A vibrating handle for ANY detector.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fors CoRe gives you both a visual LED ID and vibration, deaf hunters would have no problem using it to detect..

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the motor wired to the headphone jack would work. The headphones are powered even when not making noise. It wouldn't be good for the motor or battery life if the "carrier wave" wasn't enough to turn the motor.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really interested in this thread because I have a REALLY good friend that I've detected with for many years. He is a retired Vietnam vet marine that has now wearing hearing aids in both ears for a bunch of years now. Last time I hunted with him was the end of last Feb. and he couldn't wear head phones, or even hear the external speaker. He just kept watching the numbers on the screen of his machine. I ended up picking targets for him and calling over to check. So I also let him dig them as well. Anyways, it just kills me to see a good friend that used to be able to get out there dig some good stuff, and now being like a blind dog that can't sniff out a bone when It's 2 feet in front of him. I hate it because he still wants to get out there! Sure hope there is an answer out there, He's not ready to give up!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really interested in this thread because I have a REALLY good friend that I've detected with for many years. He is a retired Vietnam vet marine that has now wearing hearing aids in both ears for a bunch of years now. Last time I hunted with him was the end of last Feb. and he couldn't wear head phones, or even hear the external speaker. He just kept watching the numbers on the screen of his machine. I ended up picking targets for him and calling over to check. So I also let him dig them as well. Anyways, it just kills me to see a good friend that used to be able to get out there dig some good stuff, and now being like a blind dog that can't sniff out a bone when It's 2 feet in front of him. I hate it because he still wants to get out there! Sure hope there is an answer out there, He's not ready to give up!

Have him check out the Nokta Fors CoRe. The built in vibration in handle is one of the amazing features of it, no need for headphones...

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

The Constitution of the United States of America

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread