Minelab X-terra 305 or Fisher F4?

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
Doing research and was already looking at F4 and then chatted with KellyCo and suggested the Xterra 305 as well. Both are in price range - love opinions from those who have used either machine.

Side Note - I lowered sensitivity on BH Discovery 1100 to a mid level sensitivity (which seems weird to me) and it seemed to find round objects and not signal on a ton of trash, but seemed to go a little deeper...still not too deep but it was a tad bit better.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has a 305 and I have a 505---the 305 is a good machine and does hit on deep targets. the discrimination patterns work well and it works well on the beach to! The target numbers are a great help determining whats in the ground but as with any detector you have to get a solid hit to know what type it is! I have a high frequency coil that I can use on both machines,a wery nice option to change frequency of the unit...my money is on the 305

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sensitivity is like volume on your car stereo. Too loud and you don't understand the words because of the distortion and speaker razz any better than if it's too soft. That's why it is adjustable. If you think about it 50% should be the default setting; not full-to-the-firewall.

It's like the squelch control on a VHF receiver. All the way up you miss the weak signals and all the way down it's just speaker static. The right setting is where you just hear the good signals. But if you're out where there isn't a lot of chatter you can set it low for fainter signals. So you always set it just to the point where it's quiet most of the time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the F4 most of this past season with the DD Coil and I love it. My brother-in-law has a whites MX5, and we have hunted together often. I can cover more ground than he can since he used a concentric coil. I dug up over $500 in clad in 8 months with the F4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread