"Coin Popping" Help !!!!!!

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
"Coin Popping" Help !!!!!!

Hey all, I'm fairly new at this and have been reading some posts where "coin popping" has been mentioned.
I'm smart enough to figure out that this is a way of retrieving coins from a few inches below the surface, but is it quicker than plugging? Any info. on this, and maybe your technique, would be appreciated.
Like I said, I'm fairly new, so I don't mean to ask a silly question.

Ima Swinger

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Re: "Coin Popping" Help !!!!!!

Hi Ima,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. I cut out the plug myself, but I would think that coin popping is a bit faster than digging a plug. I have a retired friend of mine who can go through a yard very quickly by coin popping it. I hope it helps. The only silly question is the one that you don't ask.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Much quicker than plugging, and not as messy, most times, too. You gently push in where you think the coin is and once you feel it, you work the tip around the side and underneath, then pry it up. Sometimes, if its a little deeper, I'll back off the coin maybe a half inch or so and do an "x", pushing the handle forwards and backwards, side to side, so it pushes the grass back and creates an x shaped hole. Then pry it up.

With a little practice, it gets easier and quicker. Most coins aren't even scratched. The deeper ones tend to scratch, if any. Tougher working them out. If they're more than say, 4 inches, I'll dig the plug.

OP
OP
Ima Swinger

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe

Ron,

I guess I don't understand how coin popping works. I cut plugs too. When you say that your buddy pops coins, what exactly does he do? Is he just flapping the grass over or what?

On a different note:
I see that you are from Pittsburg. Steelers fan maybe?
I'm in Houston and have been a Steelers fan all my life.
Go Steelers !!!!

Ima Swinger
(and a Steelers fan)

OP
OP
Ima Swinger

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe

Jeffro,

Thanks a bunch. That clears it up for me.

Appreciate it.

Ima

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I ran onto a guy who makes a set of coin popper tools. They are made of brass so as not to scratch a coin. The first one is much like an ice pick except a little longer and it has a small ball on the tip. He says to probe the site with this until you feel the coin. The second tool has a flattened end slightly cupped that he says to slip under the coin and gently pry it out. I have tried it several times with not much success. There is a bunch of small rocks in the soil around here and I can't tell a rock from a coin! He is very proficient with it and I guess it just takes lots of practice, and yes, it is very fast if you can learn to do it. Monty

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

To give you an idea, I once hunted a park where they have concerts during the summer. This was in fall. Most of the surface coins were found by the groundskeepers as they cleaned up, obviously. But the ones that were trampled in over the years were still there, I don't think anybody had metal detected it for at least a few years.

So most of the coins were in the 1 to 2 inch range. I couldn't hardly move my coil a foot without another hit, there were so many coins.

"popping" them out, I got 120 coins or so in about an hour. Thats an average of one every thirty seconds! And no holes to fill in, or brown spots from plugs to worry about.

Like to wore my back, knees, and arm completely out in that hour, too.... LOL! :D

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Ima Swinger said:
Hey all, I'm fairly new at this and have been reading some posts where "coin popping" has been mentioned.
I'm smart enough to figure out that this is a way of retrieving coins from a few inches below the surface, but is it quicker than plugging? Any info. on this, and maybe your technique, would be appreciated.
Like I said, I'm fairly new, so I don't mean to ask a silly question.

Ima Swinger

I use a thin brass probe( or a thin blade screwdriver with the flat part, ground off and rounded and sanded smooth) and find the coin, if it is 4 inches or less sometimes you can wiggle the probe next to where the coin is, then move the top of the probe back and forth a few times to make a slit in the top of the grass.
Then you can slowly reach in with your fingers( if you do it slowly you have less chance of getting cut on anything that may have a sharp edge)to find and reteive the coin, or use the probe to go under the coin and pop it out.

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar

Coin poping can be fast but if you are not careful the coins can be scrated. I used a knife and would insert it "depending on the depth" about 2 inches to the side. I would then cut a half moon and flip it over. Remove the coin and flip it back in place. This works well with coins about 2.5 inches and above. Also it depends on the soil and lawn conditions. If the lawn is very nice I cut a plug. Cutting a plug keep roots intact and no one can tell it was ever cut. After you pop a few out you will be able to tell the distance to cut from the depth of the coin.

Tim

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

Manicured lawns I pop coins (less than 4" deep), otherwise I cut a horseshoe plug.

I basically do the same as Jeffro. After you retrieve the coin push the grass back in place and lightly tamp the sod. Around here in real hot months, the cut will turn brown for a week or two, but it'll disappear shortly after.

I've tried brass probes but can't tell the diff between a stone and coin. I use a flat blade screwdriver that is 7" long. It took a little time to learn the "feel/sound" of stone vs. coin...the easiest is the stone will sound more metallic than the coin, which will be more dull sounding/feel (white crushed rock for driveways is the only thing I've found that sounds/feels like a coin) .

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I use a 1/8 inch hollow copper tube thats been capped on the plunging end and found this really makes a difference in the sounds. Once I find the coin I use the probe to create a slot next to the coin and then use some rubber tipped 8 inch forceps to pull the coin out. you can find the forceps online or maybe at ebay. Just cut some 1/8 inch ID rubber hose to slip over both jaws. And be careful not to squeeze too hard but a good amt of pressure can be applied to all but the most delicate of finds.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The coins that are right at the surface or just an inch or two deep, I can usually just pry them out with the edge of my digging tool without even cutting a plug. I use a hand held pinpointer that will go a couple of inches deep so I know exactly where the coin is. My detector will pinpoint my target within a small circle but the hand held will find the exact spot. Monty

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just tried a new tool Saturday, a "Coin Popper". Bought it off the internet. I t has a handle like a screwdriver, 3/8" diameter shaft (can be 7 to 9 "Adjustable) to a small 1" shovel/spoon, 1" ball on the shaft. It worked well, as I knew no coins were old just clad, I went at it. As it stated it popped the objects out of the ground. Actually worked better in the grass.

I prefer a method called "Pulling". You locate the object with a brass probe, made my own out of a 3/8" brass rod and 3/4" wooden dowel. The use a set of Forceps, the longer the better, put heat shrink on them to help protect the objects if you want. You can pull out most items as deep as you want to go. I usually don,t try deeper than 5 or 6 "

Ed D.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Born2Dtect said:
I prefer a method called "Pulling". You locate the object with a brass probe, made my own out of a 3/8" brass rod and 3/4" wooden dowel. The use a set of Forceps, the longer the better, put heat shrink on them to help protect the objects if you want. You can pull out most items as deep as you want to go. I usually don,t try deeper than 5 or 6 "
Ed D.

Hmmmm. Now that's an idea. I have a pair about 12" long I used to keep on the boat to retrieve streamer flies and jigs from pike. Never thought about the heat shrink tubing on the jaws to keep from scratching up the coins.

I still like the three-stab method to make a sod flap, flip it, and then dig. As Monty says, on a shallow coin a Lesche is pointy and narrow enough to be fairly surgical in slipping a coin out.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a pic of the tools I was talking about. Monty

Attachments

• Coin flipping tools.jpg
    Coin flipping tools.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 800

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the idea, never tried it but made the picture.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Attachments

• Coinpop.jpg
    Coinpop.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 667
OP
OP
Ima Swinger

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe

Thanks everybody. I'm going to start practicing at this a bit.

Love the tools Monty, thanks.

Ima

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

If you look on eBay, theres a Coin Holer Plug Popper that some guy sells on there for a "Buy It Now" price of $27.00. At one point they had about 20 of them going up at the same time, but now I could only find the one:
http://search.ebay.com/Coin-Holer-Plug-Popper_W0QQfromZR40

Then theres this COIN PLUGGER digging tool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-detector-...ryZ58056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this metal detector digging tool plug stealth shovel digger:
http://cgi.ebay.com/metal-detector-...ryZ58056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And the digging tool listing which seems to have some items that look like they came off the shelf at a WalMart, (where they likely sold for less ::) ):
http://electronics.listings.ebay.co...56QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsocmdZListingItemList

F.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The two tools I have were custom made by an individual and he would sell a few I'm sure. PM me for his email if anyone is interested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions