A big thanks to someone on this site!

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember the guilty party but someone posted a link a while back to an old map site.Well I just wanted you to know it's all your fault I've been having all this extra fun finding out about my area!Gos only allots man so much fun and when you exceed that it's all over!
So,anyway I bookmarked this link that was put up and came back to it when I had the time. I'm finding out soo much!250 yards from where I'm sitting right now was a major road,on our property,way back in 1851. This same road zigzags across our creek/property line for 700 yards. Who new! Really cool!
The nearest i can figure from the old map and the location of a historical plaque near me,"morgan's raiders" passed right by my house on their raid of the ripley county courthouse.
It has been known for a long time that one of my uncles lived on a place that used to be a french trading post. He has literally truck loads of artifact they have found.Just for giggles I checked this on the map. Sure'nuff! Going right thru his property is a line marked "indian boundary line."
I have also located numerous small town locations! Two small ghost towns that I knew of were on the map with lots of info I didn't know before. One of them within 200 yards of our family cemetery that also had listed "old indian blockhouse" within that 200 yards.
So anyway,if y'all haven't done the "map" thing you're missing out. This is as much fun as breaking out the MD !
Thanks,

Wade

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you share the name of the site. I use historic aerials and the "slide" feature to locate old house locations, but it only goes back to 1950 in my area.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could you share the name of the site. I use historic aerials and the "slide" feature to locate old house locations, but it only goes back to 1950 in my area.

I use Historic Map Works, Fletch, Has overlay feature, that is awesome......found many old house locations..........atlas for my area back to 1876,overlay that map, onto present map, and bang!!! old homesite, on a present day map. Just used it , to locate a 1897 house site, that is located within
one of our County Parks Come on Spring!

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Wade.............................I spend many hours, over the long Mich. winter, on this site................and it pays off!!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just checked out the site. Wow! Thanks to you!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a search, I put up a couple links to share.

WATCH OUT! 1shot! Next thing you'll be out at the garage sales looking for cheap file cabinets. If anyone is into paper maps & topos try posting a wanted ad on Craigs list. Scored a 14" high stack of old topos for $15. Wanted ads seem to jog peoples minds & they remember grandpas "junk worthless" maps in the garage. And they'll "unload the junk" on you. Just pull a couple blocks away before you start doing back flips over your score!

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a hint. If you DL a bunch of maps & overlay them on GE, print them off on semi glossy paper. If you use an ink jet, let them dry for awhile, then give them a light coating of Aqua Net hairspray. Fold em up & throw em in your kit. The hairspray keeps them from smearing & bleeding if you spill the soda! That & your trusty GPS = good to go! Works good for us old farts with no memory left & are terrible at taking notes in the field!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using those maps since late May. The best one for my area is dated 1874.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info.! I may have a project for myself while buried under two plus feet of snow this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread