jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Police in Georgia are looking for a retired couple who went missing after responding to a Craigslist ad for a vintage car. Elrey Bud Runion, 69, and his wife June, 66, were last seen Thursday when they left to buy a 1966 Mustang they found on Craigslist. Police say the number attached to the ad was traced to a disposable cell phone. They were supposed to return that night.

1.jpg

Grandparents missing after responding to Craigslist ad - AOL.com

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is why i have said i only use craigslist very few times … And then i am very very careful .

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Warrant issued for suspect in case of missing elderly Georgia couple

Warrant issued for suspect in case of missing elderly Georgia couple | Fox News

TownsGeorgiacouple640.jpg

These undated photos show, at left, Ronnie "Jay" Towns, who is wanted in connection with the disappearance of Bud and June Runion, right. (Courtesy MyFoxAtlanta.com)

Authorities in Georgia have issued an arrest warrant in connection with the case of a missing elderly couple who have not been seen since they responded to a Craigslist advertisement about a car.

Elrey "Bud" Runion, 69, and his 66-year-old wife June, of Cobb County, were reported missing by their three daughters Friday when they did not show up to babysit their grandchildren as promised. Family members told WAGA that the couple was last seen in Marietta, outside Atlanta, Thursday morning. They were planning on driving to the small town of McRae, in southeastern Georgia, to look at a 1966 Ford Mustang they were interested in buying from someone on Craigslist.

Telfair County sheriff's deputies say that they are looking for 28-year-old Ronnie "Jay" Towns. He is currently wanted for giving false statements to investigators, as well as criminal attempt to commit theft by deception.

"We were interested in who last had phone contact with the Runions, and this individual did," Telfair County Sheriff Chris Steverson told WMAZ-TV. "We interviewed Mr. Towns early on in the investigation and the info he provided did not corroborate with our investigation."

Authorities told the station that the last phone number to have contact with the Runions was traced back to a disposable phone. Authorities are using signals from that phone in the hope of finding the couple.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully they bought the car and are halfway to Vegas having a great road-trip.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully they bought the car and are halfway to Vegas having a great road-trip.

Agreed. They look like a nice old couple. They were probably realizing a dream to have a nice old 'Stang from their glory years, and to get... well we don't know do we. :-\ Prayers!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is wrong with these people, I hope the couple are found and ok

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had never tried to sell anything on Craigslist before nor bought anything till I posted an ad to sell some of my toy boxes this past Oct. I posted an original ad showing 10 stacked boxes in my shop. I quickly had 2 separate texts from "somebody" wanting to buy all of them but they wanted to "pay" with a cashiers check. I said no... go cash the check and bring me the cash (less than $1,000). No response back from either.

Then I had ladies who ordered a custom box and sent their deposit to me. I'd build box, call them when done and out they'd come. Some beautiful ladies, middle of the woods and NOBODY around and they'd arrive. I'd always think wow your trusting. Some would drive over 100+ miles to my shop alone.

And then I'd have the ladies who would order, send deposit and wait. I'd build their toy box, call when done for pickup. They would say I'm not coming out till my husband, boyfriend or another male friend could come with them. Those ladies were absolutely coving their butts with a layer of protection. And I respected that choice.

Then their was the "super model" who showed up right at dark to pick up her order of 2 toy boxes. She came into shop and we started talking and she was looking at all the other boxes around. She states "boy your in the middle of nowhere here"!! I said yep and while I'm safe as hell you should think about not putting yourself in isolated spots like this. She says "really... and giggles". She opens up here loose fitting suit jacket and shows me a 9MM. I just said "got it and good for you". After another 10 minutes of talking she throws her right leg up on work island and shows me an ankle holster with a small handgun. I was impressed and she didn't need another layer of protection!!!!

I can see how Craigslist could be a magnet for wrong doing. Just never thought about it until now. I hope those elderly folks are ok also... but it doesn't "sound" good.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to think/hope, maybe they ran off the road and are in a ditch somewhere, than to think anything worse.
Even the ditch thought, ain't a good one....... up in some of those areas, it's more like off the side of a mountain into a ravine. :BangHead:
I sure hope they get found soon, too. :notworthy:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craigs list is free, it is no different than a news paper ad or a for sale sign painted on a car window parked along the road.. It is a yard sale.. it is to be expected you the buyer figure out if the seller is legit and address the meeting and verification process in a safe manner. If a seller won't let me come to his home or office and wants to meet in some public place where I can not test the product they are selling, I don't bother. As a Seller I do not let people into my house, the item is always outside already when they arrive.. if they show.. When posting an ad, tell them up front, provide a name and phone number where I call you and you will answer otherwise I won't respond. Talk to the potential buyer or seller.. ask questions.. make a judgement call as to the legitimacy of the item.. Classic car being sold on Craigs list.. No, I don't think so.... Remember Craigs list is an online YARD SALE ...
Just my opinion after multiple years of using it.
The very best use of Craigs list is for getting rid of JUNK .. post a curb alert, set it out there and it will be gone in a flash!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's danger in every place out there. I've personally made around 30 purchases off Craigslist, but I do meet in public places, Starbucks usually, for both my comfort and safety, and the comfort and safety of the person I am to meet. All it takes is a little thinking and paranoia to protect yourself. That gal Limitool mentions here sounds like a lady I could get along with !!!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope these people are found safe and sound !

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once tried to trade a pair of Jimmy Buffett tickets in the barter section. I was looking to trade for silver dollars. Got a response from a guy who was willing to trade me 20 Morgans for the tickets. Good deal, until I told him I would be weighing them, checking them with a magnet and had to test one with nitric acid. He said they were all proof Morgans and I couldn't remove them from their holders! Right! That was the end of my attempt to trade for anything silver on Craigslist.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always meet indoors at a store if you deal on Craigslist. Much harder to rob you in front of a crowd and much more difficult to get away.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too hope they are well.
I have both sold and purchased on CL. Not a single problem. All were metal detecting related. Even had a guy to my house/test garden to introduce him to detecting. He occasionally hunts with me still.
I always have multiple conversations before any interaction or meeting. A few conversations can tell alot.
Peace ✌

jakewilliam

Greenie
Jul 6, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A man was murdered in qld Australia recently after replying to a craigslist add , offender was caught a few weeks later ,
my advice is stay away from free advertising sites full stop

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEVELOPING: Georgia officials confirmed late Monday that two bodies had been found near a pond where a missing couple's car was found earlier.
Authorities are still waiting for a positive identification of the bodies but said they had notified relatives of Bud and June Runion.
Two bodies found near pond where missing couple's car discovered earlier | Fox News

ATLANTA (CNN) — Police say two bodies have been found in the search for a couple missing since Thursday from Cobb County, Georgia.
The Georgia State Patrol Dive Team found Bud and June Runion’s missing SUV in a body of water. A short distance away, investigators found the body of a man and woman, CBS46.com reports.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread