Sons Of Liberty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think they gave a good portrayal of Ben Franklin (he was faithful to his wife Deborah for 45 years of marriage). She died in 1774 . . . so I guess he could have been cozy with the maid by 1775. Still - if you read his works he was anything but hedonistic.

He really didn't become the lady's man we know and love until he became ambassador to France from 1776 to 1785.

Otherwise - a good show. Boston must have been a hard place to be at that time for businessmen.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am locked in...watching the repeat of last nites again! I miss living up north w/ the history and all...oh wait...Blizzard '15...nah.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Excellent show ! I have a 7th generation grandfather who was there when the first shot was fired at the Battle of Lexington & Concord and carried the body of the first officer killed by the British off the battlefield. Here is his signed affadavit from that day. Also a pic of his headstone.

Attachments

• Seth Brooks Affadavit.jpg
    Seth Brooks Affadavit.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Seth Brooks Grave_Woodlawn.jpg
    Seth Brooks Grave_Woodlawn.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 78

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely liked the show. I too had an ancestor at Concord and Lexington. BUT, the show was made by Sam Adams brewing company, and if I didn't know anything about the early days of the revolution other than this show I would think Sam Adams started the whole thing by himself. The brewing company sure likes having their namesake be at the front of the story!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and who knew how HOT General Gage's wife was!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also enjoyed the first episode and plan on following it thru. Hopefully history will be represented as closely as possible without a lot of creative license. As far as Sam Adams (the company) goes, I did knock down a few of their creations while watching. :occasion14:

Gary1963

Jan 3, 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030 XP Deus Garrett Pin Pointer
Phiranna
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had been looking forward to this show. Unfortunately it's more fiction than fact.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Hancock is rolling in his grave. He's portrayed as a dandy and loyal only to money. I seriously doubt if that was true, but it makes for a good story, I guess.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good TV - but, silly me, here all along I thought John Adams did all the heavy lifting and Sam Adams was a footnote that had some minor involvement in Boston. And that other guy - whats his name? Tommy Jefferson. At least they did mention him kind of in passing sort of.

Von Stuben? Layfayette? Henry (and Harry) Lee? No mention.

They did mention Prescott and Knox briefly and Dr. Joseph Warren, who they seem to have based Sam Adams on, went down fighting at Bunker Hill.

And they made it seem like it was three days between Bunker Hill and the ratification of the Declaration instead os over a year.

And they were arguing about independence a year before the Boston Massacre - after Franklin pulled together a congress in 1774. He was NOT sought out by Sam Adams in 1775. And the Tea Party was 1773.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to Thomas Paine?? I always thought he was one of the great rabble rousers.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you want historical accuracy, watch a documentary. Sons Of Liberty was very entertaining, and loosely followed the events leading up to the DOI. I enjoyed it.

We need more like this. Today's young people have no idea how our great nation was founded.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened to Thomas Paine?? I always thought he was one of the great rabble rousers.

Good point! Paine got the word out to all the colonies with Common Sense and American Crisis. He put the seed in everyone's mind that it could really happen. A colony had never won freedom from the "mother" country before we did.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watched it last night....very entertaining, and enjoyed it. Like some other's have said it was TV, and did differ somewhat from the written word.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John Hancock is rolling in his grave. He's portrayed as a dandy and loyal only to money. I seriously doubt if that was true, but it makes for a good story, I guess.

I've never really read much about him until this show started. I promptly looked up his Wiki entry to satiate my renewed desire for American Revolution knowledge. Apparently he was a bit of a dandy. My mental picture of him from reading the passage bellow closely resembles the character depicted in the series. If he were alive today, I seriously doubt you'd ever catch him in a pair of jeans or turning a wrench. What's the old saying "It's easy to become rich when you have millions to work with" or something like that?
Wiki-
After graduating from the Boston Latin School in 1750, Hancock enrolled in Harvard College and received a bachelor's degree in 1754.[12][13] Upon graduation, he began to work for his uncle, just as the French and Indian War (1754–1763) had begun. Thomas Hancock had close relations with the royal governors of Massachusetts, and secured profitable government contracts during the war.[14] John Hancock learned much about his uncle's business during these years, and was trained for eventual partnership in the firm. Hancock worked hard, but he also enjoyed playing the role of a wealthy aristocrat, and developed a fondness for expensive clothes.[15][16]

From 1760 to 1761, Hancock lived in England while building relationships with customers and suppliers. Upon returning to Boston, Hancock gradually took over the House of Hancock as his uncle's health failed, becoming a full partner in January 1763.[17][18][19] He became a member of the Masonic Lodge of St. Andrew in October 1762, which connected him with many of Boston's most influential citizens.[20] When Thomas Hancock died in August 1764, John inherited the business, Hancock Manor, two or three household slaves, and thousands of acres of land, becoming one of the wealthiest men in the colonies.[21][22] The household slaves continued to work for John and his aunt, but were eventually freed through the terms of Thomas Hancock's will; there is no evidence that John Hancock ever bought or sold slaves.[23]

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely liked the show. I too had an ancestor at Concord and Lexington. BUT, the show was made by Sam Adams brewing company, and if I didn't know anything about the early days of the revolution other than this show I would think Sam Adams started the whole thing by himself. The brewing company sure likes having their namesake be at the front of the story!!

I kind of got that too about Sam Adams. They're sponsoring the show and he is their brand. I noticed too that Adams is played by a charismatic, handsome young actor. Adams was 54 when the Declaration of Independence was signed and rather portly from his portraits. On the other hand, I do think that he's almost forgotten by many when discussing the revolution. At one time however, he was considered "The Father of the American Revolution." T.J. himself called Adams "truly the Man of the Revolution." I think It's a case of the other key participants going on to bigger and better things after the revolution. Adams was a L.T. Governor for a few years and then governor. Someone mentioned Thomas Jefferson in an earlier post; he would have been a minor participant had it not been for him writing the Declaration of Independence. Without that and his later presidency, he might have been another footnote in history. Just another cog in the wheel from that era. JMHO.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a movie, not a documentary.... I enjoyed it myself, can you imagine what it was really like at the 2nd Continental Congress when Dec of Independence was signed? .

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread