What detector for Asian terrain and how deep?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... The reason I was gonna buy a F75 Ltd was coz I can get a brand new for a decent price and they claim that it has an all metal deep mode which can go up to 2m depth.......

Faraz, emphasis mine in your quote.

I still don't think you're getting it. Re-read my original post. it's not that some standard machines (the F75 for instance) CAN'T reach the depth you want, on cache size objects. If you have any doubts, read and re-read that last sentence ! That's NOT THE POINT. Of COURSE there's a multitude of standard machines that can reach cache sized objects JUST as deeply as a 2-box unit. Heck, there's probably super powered nugget pulse machines, that can go even DEEPER STILL than any 2-box or standard detector, on a cache-sized item!

I think you keep over looking a key point: If you show up with a machine like the F75, or other machines you're musing over for caches, sure, they'll find them. THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM. The problem is: So too will you be be-devilled with all the other smaller items you DON'T want to find, and weren't looking for.

You might *think* the following 1) I'll just dig everything, big and small, and presto, problem solved, right? or 2) I'll just mentally ignore all the small signals, and just dig only the large sounding signals. Right ?

Ah but I wish it were that easy. You simply have no idea how much junk can be present in any place where humans mingled/lived/worked/camped/fought over the years. And you will spend all your time trying to "second guess" large versus small. Get a 2-box unit, if you're really serious that it's caches you're after.

Also, what about the part (A) of my original post to you ? Have you given thought to the fact that some of these Asian treasure legends are just goose chases to begin with ?

OP
OP
F

Faraz

Greenie
Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, what about the part (A) of my original post to you ? Have you given thought to the fact that some of these Asian treasure legends are just goose chases to begin with ?

Yes I have given it a thought. I did that before even thinking about buying a metal detector. I am completely ok with those stories being fake. Those stories are not the reason I am getting into this hobby. I am getting into it coz I think it's something I will enjoy.

Those stories are still there but the fact is I have access to huge areas of land where people used to live in old days or at least travel through including a couple of small lakes which have dried out over the years now. No one has ever been there with a metal detector and I want to go and try it. I might find something. I might not find a hoard but maybe a few old coins here and there.
Also in those areas there are villages where people still use natural mud to plaster their houses and sometimes when they dig it up they find old kitchen stuff like containers and other metal objects of everyday use like hammer heads and axes but they don't value that kind of stuff.

I am not gonna try and chase those old imaginary treasures but you never know what you might find. All I know is that people used to live there and then left or I should say were forced to leave when India and Pakistan got separated. In old days there were no banks or bank lockers. People used to bury their wealth to keep it safe.

Bottom line is I just wanna try and see what I can find. Just a new hobby that I might like.

I appreciate you trying to help :) but I know in my head that I might have to dig 100 useless things before I find 1 valuable thing.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my take. A hord would be grea to find but you might have to walk literally thousands of miles and it could take years to find one. In the meantime you'll be walking over some interesting individual coins and artefacts. I'd say, buy a decent detector (the best you can afford or even better than you can afford :) ) and enjoy the hobby. Do some research and learn about a particular area, where were the walking paths hundreds of years ago, where where the villages, what about battle sites as soldiers bury loot etc. if you want a hord never walk over a "large" sigal without digging it, you'll dig mountains of junk but someday....maybe....

vijaykum

Nov 10, 2016
MIDDLESEX
Detector(s) used
NEW HOBBY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Faraz This is vijay from uk. I have found your details on the website. I's my first day on this site.
So far I have only been reading about excavations and treasure finds in India.I have been doing my own research on the possible valuable sites. I can share some of my research with you.
I want to be a keen metal detector. I need your advice as to how did your experience go? Any problem with the law? Regards vijay

[email protected]

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread