Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thunder snow is pretty rare due to the colder temps. Warm temps are much more conducive to creating an environment for thunderstorms but they're not unheard of in the winter during a storm

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw thunder snow is much more common around lakes or other bodies of water

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen thundersnow a few times. I think it's fairly rare, but has nothing to do with "climate change"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok not detecting, and will probably removed. Is it normal though in a heavy snow fall to have thunder and lightening. Had this once last year, and tonight. I have never though in 52 years, experienced it before in England. Climate change , or normal.?.

Robert.

I've experienced a Thunder Snow storm only once that I remember.

I'm landlocked & on top of a mountain so lakes or other bodies of water,
were not involved. But I do believe it was during a Blizzard

Last edited:
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Thunder snow is pretty rare due to the colder temps. Warm temps are much more conducive to creating an environment for thunderstorms but they're not unheard of in the winter during a storm
Maybe not in the states, but in England. I can only go from my own experience, strange.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard it a couple times, it is rare and eerie

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I've experienced a Thunder Snow storm only once that I remember.

I'm landlocked & on top of a mountain so lakes or other bodies of water,
were not involved. But I do believe it was during a Blizzard
Hello Jeff, America due to it's size can experience massive weather fluctuations, but England with it's very stable environment :dontknow:

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen it happen once. It was in virginia and there was pink lightning in the sky.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
because you guys eat kidneys

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob, I have seen it once in Oklahoma about 30 years ago. It was very eerie to see. The snowflakes were huge, about the size of you guys' pre-decimal pennies at least! I think we got about 10 inches of very wet snow from that one too. The Lightning would illuminate the clouds.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are you jim cantore?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through a 2 day blizzard with 60mph winds and 21" of snow, couldn't see your hand in front of your face....."pink" lightening was lighting up the sky all around, thunder booming. At the time I was driving a 77 Chevy blazer with 32 inch mudders on it a 3" lift kit, a 4ft CB antenna on top of this. When the blizzard was finally over I couldn't find my truck - it was completely buried in a drift!

That same day the farmers finally got to work with hay balers and combines just to open the roads from one country home to another. You usually couldn't see these pieces of heavy equipment, just the plumes of ejected snow shooting into the air. It was incredible to witness.This was in the 70's.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had it here a few times, once there was pink lighting and another time it was a light green, weird looking. At first you think your seeing things.

Maybe our weird weather is sneaking across "the pond".

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Now we have had thunder snow & lighting up here on lake Erie around me for years now … So it does not seem like something new to me.. Our local news weather man will say we will have thunder snow tonight or tomorrow … So they even tell us about on the weather just like they tell us about our lake effect snow we get in the winter..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, I have seen it once in Oklahoma about 30 years ago. It was very eerie to see. The snowflakes were huge, about the size of you guys' pre-decimal pennies at least! I think we got about 10 inches of very wet snow from that one too. The Lightning would illuminate the clouds.

First time for me was here in OK also. Massive ice storm with huge, fat flakes like you mentioned. Ice brought down major power lines so the entire town went dark. Not a sound except for thunder and tree limbs shattering under the weight of snow and ice.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We get it about semi-annually here. Frequently just one big "BOOM!" We're up on top of one of the tallest hills in the county and lightning seems to enjoy us.

Lost three sheep to a lightning strike this past July.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread