Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...he probably had to write a check for you , Or go in your account and mark it paid by hand immediately.
rather then let someone else do that work the next day :laughing7:

Oh ! the Humanity ! :( :tongue3:

This was in the late 80's and I was going through my divorce. I ran on a cash basis then ONLY. I actually stopped all possible communications except person to person. Phone and all mail. Really pissed off the court personal. "Friend of Court" asks "Well how do we get ahold of you"? I just said come see me like I have to do with you. "We don't do that" they state. Then it's not too important is it then. When its important to me I come see you... don't I?

They had to sense of humor at all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was in the late 80's and I was going through my divorce. I ran on a cash basis then ONLY. I actually stopped all possible communications except person to person. Phone and all mail. Really pissed off the court personal. "Friend of Court" asks "Well how do we get ahold of you"? I just said come see me like I have to do with you. "We don't do that" they state. Then it's not too important is it then. When its important to me I come see you... don't I?

They had to sense of humor at all.

Yea I think you have to be born and raised
without a sense of humor to work for most of these places

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the early 1980s, I was a supervisor for an oil jobber who had a convenience store in Dallas. I walked in one morning for an audit. There was a check in the cash drawer. We had signs stating that no checks would be accepted. The operator said a woman walked in after filling her gas tank and plopped down the check. He told her we did not accept checks. She walked to the door, turned around, and told him, "So sue me." We filed charges on her in Dallas courts. When the judge heard the case, he asked if the check had been presented to the bank. Our attorney told him no, that we do not accept checks. He ruled that if the check was accepted at the bank, we had to accept it as payment.
So much for our signs! And yes, the check cleared her bank ok.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure some fool ,mad that he has to pay for something, and in order to hassle them he brought his payment in small coins ( something like paying a $100 payment with pennys, nickles, and dimes) it is abuse especially if your in line behind him waiting to make a payment. its abuse

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure some fool ,mad that he has to pay for something, and in order to hassle them he brought his payment in small coins ( something like paying a $100 payment with pennys, nickles, and dimes) it is abuse especially if your in line behind him waiting to make a payment. its abuse

Yep, and if someone is trying to pay a debt like a civil fine or utility payment, and the clerk refuses to accept and doesn't issue a receipt, they're going to be SOL when they try to sue the city over it. Just because a person walks away from a pile of coins on the counter is most likely not going to fly with the judge as constituting acceptance of payment.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still shook my head at the grocery store in Fl and having to stand in line watching no more less than 3 customers writing out a cheque for food in the amounts under $10. I finally got up to the teller and polity asked if they still took cash, a roll of the eyes, a big smile and a big yes we do. It was strange as we just don't see folks writing cheques out for groceries around here, something that probably hasn't happened in 20 years, I'm not even sure if the stores would take a personal cheque.

It's a now mostly, debit, CC, tap and go, and the lowly cash is slowly disappearing from the scene and it's just the way want it-a cashless society.:BangHead: "Do you have a points card sir.?" NO "Would like a car wash along with your fill up?"NO " Do you want some chips, drinks, air freshener? "NO, but is there any chance I can pay for this fill-up and get out of here?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still shook my head at the grocery store in Fl and having to stand in line watching no more less than 3 customers writing out a cheque for food in the amounts under $10. I finally got up to the teller and polity asked if they still took cash, a roll of the eyes, a big smile and a big yes we do. It was strange as we just don't see folks writing cheques out for groceries around here, something that probably hasn't happened in 20 years, I'm not even sure if the stores would take a personal cheque.

It's a now mostly, debit, CC, tap and go, and the lowly cash is slowly disappearing from the scene and it's just the way want it-a cashless society.:BangHead: "Do you have a points card sir.?" NO "Would like a car wash along with your fill up?"NO " Do you want some chips, drinks, air freshener? "NO, but is there any chance I can pay for this fill-up and get out of here?

it is rare I'm in a Hurry when in stores,
But what really gets to me is Little 300 year old Ladies with Extremely bad eye sight,

at the register reaching in their purse, shaking like thy are on crack
trying to count out 32 cents in coins for a $5.32 cent order, because they don't want to break a $50 :BangHead:

makes me want to Grab the Purse Dump it on the counter,
hand the lady 50 cents & Brush everything back in the purse :laughing7:

If i ever get that old & Senile Shoot me Please :laughing7:

Last edited:

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to the location of the lab where I had blood work done, intending to pay cash for a bill they had mailed me .Was told they couldn't accept cash. Sat in the parking lot and called the phone number on the bill. Was told that they stopped accepting cash because it "attracts the wrong kind of people". They never got their $6.11, and I told my Doctor that if that lab don't trust their employees with $6.11, I don't trust them with my arm. They are no longer in business at that location.:dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is rare I'm in a Hurry when in stores,
But what really gets to me is Little 300 year old Ladies with Extremely bad eye sight,

at the register reaching in their purse, shaking like thy are on crack
trying to count out 32 cents in coins for a $5.32 cent order, because they don't want to break a $50 :BangHead:

makes me want to Grab the Purse Dump it on the counter,
hand the lady 50 cents & Brush everything back in the purse :laughing7:

If i ever get that old & Senile Shoot me Please :laughing7:

"OH WAIT LET ME HELP YOU" I already have the coinage out of my pocket and on the counter so I can get through with my $50 bill.

Yes the only good use for change is for the meters, and supplying a float at a buddies store.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw the Headline of this post, I thought it could have been a security concern, like maybe someone got mad and threw a hadfull of pennies at a judge, or someone had a roll of quarters in their hand and punched security, lol. My local paper had an article about how people were hiding things in the bushes right outside the courthouse doors that were prohibited in the courthouse, they had too cut the bushes out, I will look for the article.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the 70's Nanaimo BC the local Queen's Cowboys detachment were a little red faced when it was discovered that the landscaping plants in front their stable were of the smoking type. :headbang:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found quite a few knives around the bushes and walkways leading into our courthouse during a construction project.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If It's "legal U.S. tender", the payee has to accept it for all debts. There are no exceptions to this rule.

A community gov't busy body can make whatever rule they choose and it may stand until challenged. That doesn't make it legal, constitutional or even right.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If It's "legal U.S. tender", the payee has to accept it for all debts. There are no exceptions to this rule.

A community gov't busy body can make whatever rule they choose and it may stand until challenged. That doesn't make it legal, constitutional or even right.
Juice
if i`m selling you a metal detector for $300.00 and you try to pay me in unrolled quarters...I would try to shove them down your throte !
Gary

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Completely false!

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a video on youtube of the cops making a business take a guys change as payment. I think it was to get his car out of impound.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread