Is this even LEGAL?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So I walk into my county clerk of the court today to do some business and I notice this sign:

IMG_444273567.JPG

Surely this isn't legal!?? basically they are saying legal tender US currency is not good unless it meets their criteria?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on now you do not want to over work these government people do you . They do not get paid to work.. They get paid to see how much work they can get out of..

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just messed up. they are basically saying that if I came in with a few rolls of DOLLARS or a few rolls of HALVES or QUARTERS they won't take it......makes no sense, who do they think they are? Whats the point?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it is. But usually it states "we reserve the right to refuse. . . " so you can accomidate folks when there is time.

I worked as a City Treasurer for a time and you get the bozos who figure they will punish the world because they have a fine or water bill by bringing in $100 worth of unwrapped cents. Who it punishes is the taxpayers who have to pay a city employee to count it and the other people waiting in line who are burning their lunchbreak. Because you can't let somebody leave and then find out they shorted you after clearing their account. A firm can make a coin policy. Folding money, too (no bills larger than a $20, for example). It is legal.

And we had employees who would count out and wrap the coins of those who seemed to be genuinely sincere in bringing loose coin.

And also had those who plugged worthless Mexican coins or slugs in wrapped rolls.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So run for office and change it if you think that is the case.

Can't speak for Federal or County but I knew some city employees who went above and beyond - six days a week with no O.T. Check my post history here for 2009 through 2013. I was treasurer then comptroller and didn't have time at work or before I went to bed for detecting OR forum surfing. I ate brown-bag at my desk and seldom had an uninterrupted lunch because I did care.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It would not bother me none .. for i always pay by check at the county so i am in and out of there really fast .. And some times i just put the check in the mail .. I would never think of wasting my time waiting for them to count coins...

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use your folding money and treasure hunt your change, but I would be sure to use some clean black oxidized clad in the exchange, just to see what happens...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just messed up. they are basically saying that if I came in with a few rolls of DOLLARS or a few rolls of HALVES or QUARTERS they won't take it......makes no sense, who do they think they are? Whats the point?

Try to rent a car with cash these days, buy a plane ticket, etc. Some Hotels no longer accept cash. It's nuts, I know, but it's happening.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sign doesn't quote any law or statute, so that means the sign is not "a law" per say. It's just a suggestion that they would prefer not to spend their time counting a large number of coins. Could you fight it legally? Sure...but who has the time/money to go that route for something that is basically just an inconvenience for a very few individuals.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is Legal.

I took a Bag of mixed change to pay a fine once.
when I set the bag on the table the secretary Sighed ,
and the District Justice come out and told me under no uncertain terms would she have to count it out :unhappysmiley:

Of course My next words were: if you don't want my money,
I guess we are squared up :dontknow: & walked.

took almost 2 years before they came after me :laughing7:

point is , as he said, if they don't want to count it out,
your a Pain in their side & if you get too rude
they can add charges.

Legal Tender does not mean they have to accept it.
They can put up a sign accepting livestock only.
Legal Tender just means it is not counterfeit.

noun 1. currency that may be lawfully tendered in payment of a debt, such as paper money, Federal Reserve notes, or coins.

doesn't say it must be accepted

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Legal Tender does not mean they have to accept it..." true, but it is legal tender for all debts private and public. But I do get your point Jeff.

I tried to pay my land line phone bill once at a drive up window. Clerk said "Can't except cash". What the hell? So, I pressed and she said only credit, debit, checks or money orders. I said I didn't have a credit or debit card or checking account. She says "Go get a money order and come back". Again, what the hell. Go give the cash to someone else so I can give you the piece of paper. I said NO and the cars were backing up behind me. A manager came to the window and just repeated the clerk. I said NO I will not spend more money to pay my due bill when I'm here with the cash. They said ok... "Last time we'll except cash for this account".

Got my receipt pulled ahead and parked. I then went inside to tell them to take out their service from my home. Before I could even state this the manager confronted me and he was very angry having to except cash as payment. Bad day for everyone within earshot.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Legal Tender does not mean they have to accept it..." true, but it is legal tender for all debts private and public. But I do get your point Jeff.

I've said the also, every time they took someones Drug Money Etc as Dirty money.

isn't a drug deal or payment to a hit man a Private Debt being paid ?

I would think a good constitunal lawyer would have hit on this :dontknow:

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Businesses don't have to worry about employee theft when there is no cash to actually steal.

CarolinaCurt

Jan 2, 2015
Pittsboro,NC
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC l l b, Nautilus l l , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legal Tender; currency that is valid for the payment of a debt and must be accepted by a creditor
Currency; a system of money, or the bills and coins themselves, used in a country
Coins and bills; money in the form of coins or bills as distinct from money orders or credit
Payment; an amount of money that is paid or is due to be paid
Money; a medium of exchange issued by a government or other public authority in the form of coins of gold, silver, or other metal, or paper bills, used as the measure of the value of goods and services

If i'm not mistaken, coins are Legal Tender.So, are we carring around in our pockets and purses " Useless Dead Weight" that is no longer excepted by the creditor as payment?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Businesses don't have to worry about employee theft when there is no cash to actually steal.

Exactly

Got my receipt pulled ahead and parked. I then went inside to tell them to take out their service from my home. Before I could even state this the manager confronted me and he was very angry having to except cash as payment. Bad day for everyone within earshot.

he probably had to write a check for you , Or go in your account and mark it paid by hand immediately.
rather then let someone else do that work the next day :laughing7:

Oh ! the Humanity ! :( :tongue3:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sign doesn't quote any law or statute, so that means the sign is not "a law" per say. It's just a suggestion that they would prefer not to spend their time counting a large number of coins. Could you fight it legally? Sure...but who has the time/money to go that route for something that is basically just an inconvenience for a very few individuals.

Doesn't have to be a law. It is a policy. Set by the business. City's are corporations and are able to tax and rule citizens independent of State and Federal guidelines. Most do not because they would lose all state and federal aid if they didn't play by the basic rules. Cities are also able to go bankrupt.

Legal Tender means you can use it to pay your taxes and the FEDERAL banks must accept it. You can also use other methods to pay your taxes (check, etc.)

Look it up if you don't believe me.

While federal law states that coins are legal tender, it does not compel anyone to accept them.

Also, if you wipe your butt on a $20 and a parking ticket a city does not have to accept it (and can, in fact, have you arrested - this happened).

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im sure there are exceptions, I've just never seen one or first hand know of one. And im too honest and politically incorrect to run for office.

Maybe it's just a localized population issue in your area and not related to the nature of the organization. Gotta work with what they have. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread