Have Drones affected your treasure hunting?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a kid we lived beside an interstate and some trucks would have mega watt CB's that over-spoke our TV reception.

But since the last few upgrades in transmitters R/C models now moved off 72MHz into 2.4GHz and the transmitters make a 1:1 connection just like cell phones. The receiver recognizes the specific transmitter. Hundreds of models can be in the air at once and we no longer need a "pin board" to limit one model per frequency. The coded transmissions "skip" thousands of times per second to clear frequencies and are very hard to interfere with.

Very interesting, I certainly haven't kept up with the times, and no longer use a CB. At one time we all had them and used them extensively elk hunting. Now days I don't get around well enough to be out in the woods looking for elk, so I don't know how much the the boys are using CB's for elk hunting now. I know it's against the law to fly over hunting areas during elk season and relay information to people on the ground about where the elk are, and it probably won't be long before drones looking for elk will be illegal also, in fact they probably already are. Regarding your multi frequency information with transmitter ID, I didn't know that was useable by civilians, I know the military was using that, but it must be old technology for them. A retired navy friend was on the Admirals staff during the first gulf war, and he had told me how they were encoding messages and using multi frequencies for transmission. Parts of each letter went out over several frenquencies at the same time, and of course the message was also encoded. That information was interesting, but way over my head, and is old stuff now. But, when it comes to electronics, what can be done by man, can be undone by some wise azzed kid.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I swear I am so intent when I'm detecting that a band of drones and gaggle of flying monkeys overheard would go unnoticed.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drone's can add a little fun to life on the farm.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this post early on and thought I would just hang out and see how it developed. I really know nothing about drones but my fifteen year old nephew has been building,from scratch, and flying these things for a good 2years or more. He can fly the hell out of 'em. My first thought when he showed one to me was how useful it would be for MD'ing and that it was a thousand times better than Google Earth if used locally. These things are amazing equipped with a camera and a competent pilot. The uses seem limitless. Security, surveying, hunting you name it and of course government/armed forces use them. As a matter of fact a very good friend of mine works with drones for the US Airforce but of course we never discuss in detail what he does. If I ever wanted to spy on someone I would be becoming an expert on these things real fast.

All of that being said, I have no clue what the law is on air space or the use of drones is either, my nephew does. But I do know that if someone flies one of these things near me,and I feel threatened by it and I'm able, it's coming Down. One thing I absolutely do know is that you can cite the law and sue me all day long but, depending on how I want to handle it you would either have to prove that I took it down or you'll have to prove that I wasn't assaulted by it. Either way you'll have no proof that your drone ever existed and without proof ... well I do know a little about the law.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems hard to hit with a .22 , I think a shotgun would work

This is a true statement generally. A shotgun is good for close range depending upon gun and shot. Now a .22 using just long rifles can reach out 50 yds. + 25 yds. in the hands of a good rifleman. But a .22 mag can reach way out (100+ yds.) in the hands of a good rifleman w/good rifle. I've done it over and over. And as far as hitting something in the air ... not that hard with experience. Trust me I've shot many things down out of the air with a .22.

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand an operator needs a FCC license also to be legal. Thankfully we don't need one to metal detect.

Mike
KK6OMT

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not saw a Drone flying in action yet. What if you find one, maybe it hit a tree or wire, or just ran out of juice, can you buy a remote and use it yourself ? Does the owner have a way of tracking a downed Drone ? I stick in the woods mostly, hiking, detecting and bottle digging, we have tons of woods around, I don't think a drone stands a chance with all those thick trees growing. Sometimes nature calls and I have to sneak a quick pee in, I have been wondering if a drone will catch me and film it, but like I said, I dont think one would make it in the woods.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1.) You don't need a FCC license. They work on the same frequency and output power as a cell phone.

2.) Yes, you just need a transmitter that can talk to the receiver. Many are brand specific but more are not. There is a procedure to get them to bind together but, once bound, they work. Worst case you swap out the receiver ($40 to $120). Have to have a proper charge adapter and balancer as well. I put my name, address and phone number in the model in hopes if it ever goes astray it comes back. I have a little 21" glider that caught an updraft and went invisible and it was on my front porch a week later. No idea who found it.

3.) Not only do some have GPS - they can fly to waypoints, return on their own, and some are smart enough to return to within ten yards (not close enough to hit the operator) and either hover in place or land autonomously. FPV (first person video) the pilot can actually see what a human pilot would be seeing real time (wearing video goggles). Others transmit live feed to an observer or PC to receiver and still others capture video or stills that must be downloaded.

Last edited:

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!!!!! Kinda reminds me of a cricket on steroids. Crickets were tough to learn, no gyro no nothing! Made a spiffy hedge trimmer though......

I still have a GMP Cricket.

Attachments

• Cricket 03.JPG
    Cricket 03.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 74

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also fly RC and own a drone. A DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus. I really doubt it was going "40 mph" It may have seemed like it but few have that ability and even fewer would risk their $$$ drone just to buzz someone. I could see it with one of those cheap ones but then they are lucky to hit 15 mph with the wind. I've used mine to map out locations without having to do all that walking and to do some videos on detecting. Like anything else it is the user that takes responsibility for their actions and not all drones, or fliers, are bad.

Here is mine.

Phantom2-VisionPlus-1.jpg

Here is my Youtube channel with some of my drone videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfJZHEpNVSQX8n1nFL8ttD6QCpdxwnB4S

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Drones can carry a pay load. I find there capacity for miss use alarming. I do understand that all technology can be miss used.

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
I think I saw the border patrol using these "drones" on the tv show.. seems like they would come in handy if you went looking for lost treasure sites in the mountains

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good example was the Goodyear blimp got hit by an aggravated RC pilot some years back. The blimp kept buzzing the field and this guy had enough & plowed his plane into it & made a hole in the nose. If you check out the pictures of the older ones you'll see in later years the one on the west coast had eyes. One of those eyes was the patch. This was before the color scheme they have now.

Google has some pretty good er ahh gross photos of guys that tore up fingers with props. So you can imagine getting hit in the head with four. The newbs worry me the most, most RC people are safe to the point of being almost over cautious. Not to mention more respectful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread