Would you do this? Find a 1852 gold coin and give it to the land owner?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,514407,514407#msg-514407
A metal detectorist was searching an old Chinese gold mining camp and found a find of a lifetime an 1852 $5 gold coin. He is giving it as well as all relics he found back to the landowner in a beautiful display case. This was the agreement he made to have access to the property.

This is sort of a continuation of an earlier thread- Metal detectors and Money.
Sort of why we detect. Profit or the experience?

The detectorist is an experienced user who definitely believes the experience and preservation of the history is simply more important than the money.
I agree with his philosophy and commend him on his integrity.

George

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I would be reluctant to enter into this kind of agreement, unless it was for a more public entity. I recently searched some old houses for the local historical society, and would have done this, but I considered it making a contribution to the community. I would not make such a deal with a private citizen; I invested my time and lots of money in a good detector. I didn't start in this hobby to let others keep my best finds.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I found a ring for an older woman a few years ago on a beach in Aruba. I probably would have found it anyway (she was right in my path and leaving the surf when she noticed it was gone). I found the ring, she proceeded to tell me the story of how she got it and identified it. Her husband bought it the year prior for their 50th wedding anniversary. He only paid about 26K for it in Aruba.

I handed it over, and her husband even offered me a finder's fee, which I declined. My wife, and the people I was with all asked why I didn't keep it, or at least take the finder's fee. I said "Karma". I got some out of that deal. I also tried to explain to them how many of us feel that we should try to return things to their rightful owners (she was standing right there, and did ask me to find it). Besides, seeing the glint of gold, diamonds and rubies on a huge ring in the bottom of my scoop was reward enough.

But DAMN why couldn't I have found it after she left?

The guy with the gold coin made an agreement, and honored it. I applaud him for it. (I probably wouldn't have made that agreement...) Next time i'm guessing he'll work on a 50/50 split

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I never would have entered into that type of deal in the 1st place. If the guy wanted to find out what was on his place let him get a detector and spend hundreds of hours learning how to run it or at least fo into a 50-50 deal. 02

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
The deal was struck. I admire him for sticking to his agreement. If its the only way to get onto an area, and you really want to detect there, so be it. Maybe it will lead him to other opportunities. Shifty people are a big reason why a lot of land owners won't let people on there property. Be it metal detecting, hunting, ect.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My deal with my friends is anything I find I will pay them half of the value and keep the item. This way I get to keep my finds and my friends get a cut for letting me use the land. Otherwise anything I dig is mine, I am doing the work I keep the finds. If its something of sentimental value such as a wedding ring or class ring is found. I of corse would return it to the rightful owner if it all possible.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Woody14 said:
The deal was struck. I admire him for sticking to his agreement. If its the only way to get onto an area, and you really want to detect there, so be it. Maybe it will lead him to other opportunities. Shifty people are a big reason why a lot of land owners won't let people on there property. Be it metal detecting, hunting, ect.
I agree with this very much. If he wants to detect the property, maybe the owner wouldn't let him until he made this agreement. I would have taken lots of pictures, though.

S

stefen

The guy with the gold coin made an agreement, and honored it. I applaud him for it.

A mitsvah!

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
If that's the deal, I don't want to detect there. If I had to make a deal, MUD's agreement is the best. 50/50 on the value, But if I dig it up....I'm gonna keep it....

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He did not give the owner everything. He was making the propery owner happy by giving him some of the finds. The surrounding property has the same type of stuff so he is hopeing (sp) to gain access to those propeties. The gold coin ? I guess he felt it was the right thing to do. His business to do with it what he wants. Good Man!!

Cooter

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that guy has got a lot of character. i dont know if i could have done the same thing, but i wouldnt have made an agreement like that in the first place. i can fully understand returning a lost piece of jewelry, but a coin that was lost before me or the landowner was even born..........that one goes into my collection. ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Doesnt matter what WE would or wouldnt do. The gentleman is the one who made the agreement and he stood by his word. Very admirable!

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Apparently he has been detecting the property for several years now. I imagine he has no competition detecting this old mining camp. He stated that properties like this are VERY difficult to obtain permission to detect.

Perhaps this method will be the only way to detect historical sites like this or one of a kind locations in the future.

Here is a picture of this display he will give to the owner.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,514407,516491#msg-516491

George

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is okay in my book. Something you dont see alot, HONESTY. Just looking at the pics is enough to make a person happy. cooter

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
gypsyheart said:
Doesnt matter what WE would or wouldnt do. The gentleman is the one who made the agreement and he stood by his word. Very admirable!

Gypsy, the subject was "Would you do this? Find a 1852 coin and give it to the land owner?" So it does matter what we would or wouldn't do :D! What I would hesitate to do is make that kind of agreement. I admire him for keeping his agreement, however, and would do the same. If you don't have integrity, you don't have much.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
a man is only as good as his word. when you have to put something in writing it only a list of the way you are not going to use to get out of keeping your word

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Paul is a personal friend of mine. He gets a lot of places to hunt, by making displays like that for the owners. Ie.: word spreads, and his reputation as a historian helps him gain access to new places. It works wonders when you can "drop names" to the next property owner down the road, so to speak. I'm sure it was a tug-in-the-gut to have to part with that gold coin, but he kept to his word. He could've pocketed that coin, and only shown the owner the other ones. But he has integrity.

I don't know the extent to their agreement, but what I usually do is keep it less specific. Like, I would probably not even talk about a split of finds, or that anything I find goes to them, if I can help it. But if it seems to need it, I will plug in that they "are welcome to anything I find". I've parted with a silver dollar on one occasion, and some seateds, and a reale, on other occasions. But that gives you a right-heart, and a clean mind, in my opinion.

Congratz on your first gold coin Paul! (I'll link him to this site now :))

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
The fun of this hobby is in the finding not in the having. It's the looking for treasure that is fun. To find it and hold it in your hand if only for a short time is better than not having found it at all. If your in this hobby for monetary reasons your in it for the wrong reason.

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi George,

My friend Tom in Ca. sent me this post on the recent finds I made at an old ghost mining town.....Actually it's a China town that no longer shows any signs from afar of it ever being here, Except for broken foundations blending in with the terrain and bits and pieces chards of china. One has to actually be almost right on top of the ghost town to see some of the remains of the town, Truly a wonderful experience just hiking on the hill top property.

I've been detecting this area for over 20 years, With permission from several different nearby property owners including the owner that owns the area of the China Town. Always had an open door to return every year, So in a sense I've established myself with the community and continue to do as properties change from one hand to the other.

I admire and respect you George, I can see you understand what I do to not only gain access to a property but also believe the experience and preservation of the history is more important than the money or keeping the find itself.

On occasion, I do make displays for some owners of artifacts I recovery from certain areas throughout California and these finds mean more to the owners and will be passed down from one generation to the next....I know allot of people have a hard time understanding why would one give up such finds, It's such an easy thing to do if one can relish the moments of the recovery more than the find itself. It's those first moments at the beginning of the recovery that will always be imbedded in our minds eye that can never be replaced, The find itself can not even replace the first moments of the recovery we will always cherish.

And from some of the replies on your post their are some that understand and would do the same, It's good to see that others would follow the same path as I have and many others have as well.

Plus, I still keep a large share of my finds from different settlements throughout California, And when some or all the finds go back to the property owner or community it's for good reason and the right thing to do....We can not always be taking, We need to give back as well.

Thanks George,
HH, Paul (Ca)

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
I know allot of people have a hard time understanding why would one give up such finds, It's such an easy thing to do if one can relish the moments of the recovery more than the find itself. It's those first moments at the beginning of the recovery that will always be imbedded in our minds eye that can never be replaced, The find itself can not even replace the first moments of the recovery we will always cherish.

Very well put Paul
Thats what makes this hobbie fun.

HH
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread