Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The History Blog » Blog Archive » La Belle exhibit opens at Austin?s Bullock Museum

This is old news about the recovery of the 1686 shipwreck La Belle in Matagorda Bay, Texas.
The ship was blown off course and lost while attempting to bring supplies to a colony near the mouth of the Mississippi.
I hope to get to Austin to see the exhibit.
I loved the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum when I was there 8 to 10 years ago. Lots of cool stuff.
15.Brass-rings.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I'd like to see the museum if I ever get back to Texas.

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, didn't know there were settlements in that area at that time.

The French were trying to get to the Mississippi.
After the La Salle and his crew were shipwrecked, they constructed a fort that was lost until just recently. I believe La Salle and some of his crew started marching towards French settlements on the Great Lakes. La Salle was killed by his own men, and the Karankawa indians killed everyone at the fort. Eventually The Spanish built another fort on top of the destroyed French fort. This Spanish fort was also lost to history until recently.

Link to museum http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/la-belle

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember I was taught about the spanish , english , french histoy when they explored and settled and exploing trips all over. america. Had test after test on who did what and when, how everything was divided up. My school had lots of math, history, civics, and english

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread