What do you clean your detectors with after a hunt???

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
It's supposed to get dirty ;D.

My speaker is covered with a decal, so I usually just clean off the meter housing, and give the box near the battery slot a quick wipe to remove dust so it doesn't get inside my unit. Other than that, nothing.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I must be the odd one. I have never cleaned any of my detectors. They stay dirty from day one.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wipe mine down with a dry or slightly damp cloth. Especially after the beach.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use a spray Cleaner on a Cloth.

Before putting it away for the winter I wipe it down with
WD40.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little hand soap and water as needed. I pull off the coil cover occasionally and rinse that and the coil with a hose and wipe clean to keep and dirt (especially with iron/minerals) from accumulating there.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I just use a damp cloth....I am afraid to use any kind of chemical cleaner on it. Then I sing it a little lullaby and put her to bed.... :)

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Haven't cleaned mine either but it's only been 3 years and the duct tape might come off if I expose it too much. Should do those earphones though or they'll leave rings around your ears.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Damp rag...can of compressed air to get rid of dust in difficult spots.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Charlie P. (NY) said:
A little hand soap and water as needed. I pull off the coil cover occasionally and rinse that and the coil with a hose and wipe clean to keep and dirt (especially with iron/minerals) from accumulating there.

Yep...what Charlies says works for me.

Burt

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I don't think I cleaned my DFX in the 10 years I owned it. Actually, I cleaned it once, about 2 days after I was in a car accident. The insurance adjuster wanted to see my detector and make sure it didn't work (It was crushed when I got rear-ended). It might have been crushed, but it sure did look shiny ;D And it only took him about a month to get me a check for the 2 detectors I lost (thank god I kept the receipts)

The only machines I ever clean are my water machines. The salt water is easy to get off... just hose it down or give it a good dunking in the pond out back. A dry or damp cloth should be good enough to get most of the dirt off your machine... if you're so inclined.

steve

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. They ain't like coffee percolators or fry pans that are bad luck to clean.

Man, when I get diggin I've got dirt or mud all over the shaft and handle, knobs and headphones. How do guys dig without pawin in the dirt and transferring it to everywhere you touch the detector? Or do they just leave it build up? I couldn't see the markings around the knobs after a few hunts. :D

Guess the modern digital w/plactic covered button machines it isn't so critical.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread