Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live, an alarm system is almost useless. It takes 2 - 3 minutes for the operator to see it pop up on the screen. Another minute or two for them to call. Another 3 or 4 for them to call PD. Between 25 & 47 (yes it's been timed!) minutes for PD to show up! Fifty six minutes and they can pretty well load a Uhaul & be in Mexico. Three big dogs (food) cost me almost what the system cost & I've got more peace of mind with the dogs.

My buddy had three large dogs in his house, for protection and to help guard his valuables when he was gone.

He came home from work one day to find 3 dead dogs, with blood all over his house, and his valuables gone.

He lost his best buddies, and all his silver, gold and guns on the same day.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My buddy had three large dogs in his house, for protection and to help guard his valuables when he was gone.

He came home from work one day to find 3 dead dogs, with blood all over his house, and his valuables gone.

He lost his best buddies, and all his silver, gold and guns on the same day.

If that ever happened to me, I would have to put the law to the side and do some really bad stuff. Not sure how one can control themselves after being so violated. Seems foolish of a criminal to put so much pain on someone, I would seek them out and suffer the consequences.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Camouflage is way better than the best home type safe money can buy. Ever hear the term "hiding in plain sight" ? Now first a disclaimer... This is nothing more than what it appears to be, a crusty old non working Dr Pepper machine. And any guns I might have had were lost in an unfortunate boating accident and are at the bottom of the lake.. Buttt.. Imagine taking an old ugly vintage soda machine and gutting it out and turning it into a gun safe. Even better would be to have a cheap actual gun safe sitting in an easy to find spot as a "decoy" and have it rigged to blast loud noises and smoke when someone tries to pry open the door. All while completely ignoring the rusty old soda machine.. Crooks go for the quick grab that's going to get them the most money. An old 10 cent soda machine, even one that's working, offers them little return for the amount of effort it takes to break into one. And with the type like I have the coin box is in the outer compartment so even if they get that open & steal the change they aren't going to bother with the lock to the inner compartment unless they are extremely thirsty.. You don't need to spend a fortune on a safe. You just need to be smarter than the crooks.
Shoot with all the "pickers" in my area, that valuable old vintage soda machine would be the first thing that would be taken!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I think a tiny safe that weighs 10 pounds and can be bought for $40 at Walmart is a bad idea, can't a person breaking in see a safe, know that there is valuable things in it and just carry it off????

I think for maximum security you need something that is actualy attached to the ground, by bolts that can't be undone, or any kind of thing and weighs over 90 pounds.

Just my thoughts, Coinman123

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think a tiny safe that weighs 10 pounds and can be bought for $40 at Walmart is a bad idea, can't a person breaking in see a safe, know that there is valuable things in it and just carry it off????

I think for maximum security you need something that is actualy attached to the ground, by bolts that can't be undone, or any kind of thing and weighs over 90 pounds.

A family's home had three safes in it, took 3 men to put the one in the bedroom closet with stair moving equipment, one simple having little friends over for a party, then a friend told a friend, who told a friend type of thing happened. Sister came home to find safe had been dropped down stairs through the landing, crashed into the lower floor, rolled onto the bedspread and dragged out the front door in the noon hour of the day. Total loss of all the Masonic collection, and a few other gold items. Safe weighed 400+ so it didn't stop the theft. Yes to bolting it down. The saving grace to this was for insurance purposes they taking pictures of all the jewellery and had it in a large cabinet in the bedroom, and it was left untouched. :)

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here, some thiefs drove their pickup to a banks ATM machine and some how drove off with it, I can't wait to see how that one unfolds

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

That's what you want for your "decoy" safe! Half-dozen silver rounds and some cheap bling in it - thief grabs it and your valuable hidden safe is left unmolested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread