Anyone ever swept an area with a magnet sweeper before detecting?

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about magnetizing anything in the ground because they are not that powerfull.. They will pick up metal from the surface of the ground, but will not pull it out of it even if very shallow.. Mostly used after construction to pick up suface nails.. I do have magnets on my digger to pull the iron and nails out before I pinpoint.. I also sweep the loose soil with it after a recovery and then sweep the area with my detector again..
Ray

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never tried - beyond removing roofing nails around my own house after a new roof.

Most detectors will ignore iron if you set them to anyway, most metals we are seeking are non-ferris (not iron) and non-magnetic. Halos are not magnetic, but rather are interactions of the eddy currents on a target under the influence of a nearby detector coil. (I think it has something to do with ions in the soil/water present around a coin that accumulate over years). The soil will not "remember" a magnet that has passed over. If anything it might align the minerals in the soil like bulk-erasing a cassette tape so you can ground balance easier.

Speculation here. Have not heard it tried or know for certain.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
thanks for the insights. I figured it would be handy to have around the house even if it didn't work well in the field. As a newb it should help me with removing irritants at the surface. There was a Magna-Rake I didn't buy that would have helped loosen the nails and trash just below the surface. Didn't think it would be as easily accepted by the homeowner due to disturbing the soil to a greater degree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread