I have a serious question ..

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting since the early 1960's, and have amassed quite a collection of all sorts of things imaginable from Colonial times, through more modern times. I have never had any place to display what I have, so it sits in boxes in the attic. I have 3 children, and none of them are interested in any of it. Now, realizing my own mortality, what should I do with all the stuff? The thought of going through 50 years of "stuff" is daunting, and quite frankly, I'm not sure I could do it.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That my friend is a very good question. I haven't detected that long, maybe 30 years or so, but the stuff amassed is quite large. I'm on the down hill side myself so I'm hoping someone on here can give us an answer to your question. I know the kids would sell the coins, but that still leaves a lot of stuff.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the same boat! Lol! I have a workshop full of stuff that I don't want my children to have to deal with but eBay is exhausting! So I just started to call up people who are in the line of work for whatever I'm trying to move and there is always someone who will come and get it! Especially for free.
Best of luck!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like we need a TreasureNet Museum. :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
anyone with unwanted guns , fishing gear or detectors ,or coins----- please feel free to think of dell winters * an old treasure hunter badly in need of help --- or you can always give some civil war items to someone who would love them -( like me ) I use my items to show to school kids and to teach them .

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury it all in a big chest and publish a complicated treasure map. This will inspire a new generation of treasure hunters to get out of their houses, put down their video game controllers, and get digging. Just what I would do :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mud hut. Good Question. And it just goes to show: "You can't take it with you" !

Question for you: In the early 1960s, what machine were you using at that time ? What sort of places were you hunting in those early years ? And how deep would it reach on coin sized targets? What's the most # of silver coin you recall getting in a single day, in those earlier years ?

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a site as large as this one would be able to sponsor a charity auction once or twice a year with all proceeds going to the donators favorite charity.It would also be a good way for friends to purchase a keepsake that once belonged to a fellow digger that has gotten out of detecting for whatever reason(probably health concerns) or has passed on. Just an idea.I don't know if the site would do something like that but it would sure be good public relations.

Wade

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mudhut, find a reputable auctioneer(there are some good ones) and sell it as a collection or piece it out in lots at a good auction. then buy you favorite beverage and cellabrate a lifetime of great fun.....Joe McDonough

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Mudhut, find a reputable auctioneer(there are some good ones) and sell it as a collection or piece it out in lots at a good auction. then buy you favorite beverage and cellabrate a lifetime of great fun.....Joe McDonough

Letting it go auction isn't a bad idea, especially now that there such a large following through the internet. I know of one stand up guy that holds internet sales/plus at his auction place. What he does sell quiet often is dug finds, so he understands the hobby as it's his passion also, not to mention he's a dealer and runs hunts.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like we need a TreasureNet Museum. :laughing7:

What "we" need is someone who can look at what somebody has and build the perfect display case to display there "important" finds. And within the case a label of the finder and what it is.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I have noticed over the years of dealing in old stuff...
And handling a few estates in my days is...
No one else but you knows the story... meaning no one else understands what is in those "boxes"...
SO...
Either tell them... or label items like my grandfather did on important stuff... OR
give to someone who does know and appreciate it...
OR... Sell it all in an auction... take the money and enjoy it doing something you either A. Really have always wanted to do...
B... buy a new something whatever.

Because IF you die before you tell em or label it...
It will be sold at estate sale... garage sale... or worse... thrown in the garbage.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it would depend on the significance of your finds? Maybe a local museum, historical society, university might help? I don't know if your looking at this from a monetary perspective or in a historical manner. Someone would still have to document and sort out everything thing you've found in order to know exactly what you have. Maybe a little winter project in the meantime? GL Mike

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if you belong to a club or know of someone that does they could help you sort thru it all label it and attach the story to it, and figure out what you want to sale, give away, display, keep, etc.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have stuff that I plan to give for display at Olustee battlefield in Florida -- thru my research I found a union artillery camp site in Jacksonville , Florida where Elders horse artillery ( US 1st -company B artillery) that took part in the battle of Olustee camped at after the battle for a couple months ( 22 feb , 1864 until they left town on april 25th of 1864) before leaving Jacksonville --- they landed in jax on feb 5th -- left out of jax the 7th -- from the 7th thru the 20th they were enroute to Olustee --on the 20th they fought there by the 22nd they were back in jax --after a very rapid retreat from Olustte .--- there is a photo of the camp site online--- look up "union artillery camp in Jacksonville , florida" in the foreground on the left side is a tent with a sign on it * --originally the photo only had upon it --union artillery camp -jacksonvile - 1861 /1865 -- by me blowing up that sign I found the units name and then looked up their "battle history" and thru photo analysis I was able to locate the camp sites modern day location and find it --and obtain items that prove it is indeed the site in the photo-- I told the state about what unit it was and the time frame and the state added the info -- however they did not credit me for giving them said info on the site /photo page.---I use my relic items to teach the local school kids about the civil war in our local area ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mud Hut

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Not sure which way I am going to go, but the auction idea for the entire lot sounds like the quickest and easiest thing to do. I will investigate that possibility over the next several days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread