15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's See Your "Before and After" Photos

If you have any "before and after" photos of your finds post them here. Such as a coin before a cleaning and after it to see the difference. I think seeing the difference of a coin just because of a simple cleaning is amazing.

Here is my favorite "Before and After", it is an 1803 large cent that I found back in September. I did a simple Q-Tip, Olive oil, and quick soak in water to make it look like this.

Before:
1803.jpg
After:
photo (3).JPG
1803largecent.jpg

Here is another "Before and After" on a 1696 William III HalfPenny, at first I thought it was a Charles II but after cleaning I found out I was wrong.
Before
IMG_20141116_133905.jpg
After
IMG_20141117_142213.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this thread Coinman! One of my favorite parts of this forum is seeing the difference before and after cleaning. Here's a few of mine
image.jpg
image.jpg
And my fave. I never expected this to have the detail it does
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The tree coin was a bit scary. But I gently rinsed all of the dirt off it and dabbed the face with a new mascara brush. Then placed it in some lemon juice and waited to get the toning that I wanted. I love that it didn't get shiny. Thanks for showing yours CM and I'm excited to see more

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Love this thread Coinman! One of my favorite parts of this forum is seeing the difference before and after cleaning. Here's a few of mine
View attachment 1117607
View attachment 1117608
View attachment 1117609
View attachment 1117612
View attachment 1117610
The tree coin was a bit scary. But I gently rinsed all of the dirt off it and dabbed the face with a new mascara brush. Then placed it in some lemon juice and waited to get the toning that I wanted. I love that it didn't get shiny. Thanks for showing yours CM and I'm excited to see more
some nice photo's there..

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1117607
View attachment 1117608
View attachment 1117609
View attachment 1117612
View attachment 1117610

Those came out good! Both coin are great, I'm surprised that you got the corrosion out so good, I would have thought that the large cent you had was near toast but then you cleaned it and brought out so much detail it probably has Extra Fine Details. I also would think that the Tree coin would be helplessly pitted too after being dug but I was wrong again! I agree with you on not wanting dug coins to get shiny, I like leaving them a little patina. I love seeing photos like that, a dirty item soon becomes great because of a cleaning, the difference between before/after on your photos is amazing.

Coinman123,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Coinman. Most every coin I dig here in Maine comes out completely encrusted with this thick muddy type stuff. If you get lucky and the coin went into the ground in great condition it seems as though it actually can preserve them. But if they're pitted at all it just destroys them. The nicest ih I've ever dug came out with this super hard crust on it. Under that crust was this coin in incredible condition. As far as the tree coin it seems as though every silver coin I've ever dug has come out in beautiful condition regardless of the age. I have no idea why. The tree coin was in some sandy soil and on the very top edge of a steep embankment that drains very well. That said I was blown away at the detail under there. Especially considering that lots of them didn't look all that great straight from the mint. Here's a pre civil war navy button that cleaned up great.
image.jpg
image.jpg

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...def not the awesome coins & buttons you have cleaned, but here is a mystery piece I found sunday and thought the detail was, well just cool. I posted in what is it and some think it's a lantern or lamp tube. Anyway, it's not much and just wanted to share :occasion14:

pipe.jpg

pipe2.jpg

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the ih I dig. Have a crust on them that a peroxide dip and a qtip cuts right through. Never thought this one would have the detail it did

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423622962.633581.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423622985.449665.jpg

And I wish this one would have cleaned up better lol

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423623158.882675.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423623207.550568.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have any "before and after" photos of your finds post them here. Such as a coin before a cleaning and after it to see the difference. I think seeing the difference of a coin just because of a simple cleaning is amazing.

Here is my favorite "Before and After", it is an 1803 large cent that I found back in September. I did a simple Q-Tip, Olive oil, and quick soak in water to make it look like this.

Before:
View attachment 1117417
After:
View attachment 1117418
View attachment 1117419

Here is another "Before and After" on a 1696 William III HalfPenny, at first I thought it was a Charles II but after cleaning I found out I was wrong.
Before
View attachment 1117421
After
View attachment 1117420
Nice photos @coins ..:thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great results guys! Turbo my ih's have that exact same crust. Sometimes it's so thick that it takes a full 8 hours or more in the hp. My nicest ih was like that. Unfortunately I must have accidentally erased the dirty pic. Keep em coming I love seeing these. Token man that's a really cool piece with beautiful detail

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this pic on the iPad. This is after some soaking
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423656945.567158.jpg
Then after about 8 hours or more
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423657010.968768.jpg

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    793.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMGP0114.JPG
    IMGP0114.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMGP0131.JPG
    IMGP0131.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you soak it in?

I left it in hp for hours. Prob 4 hours on some. If an indian head has no corrosion and just has crust on the exterior you can basically leave it in as long as you want and it won't hurt it. I actually found this out by accident. I put one in the ih and I fell asleep. Woke up hours later and saw how well it did. So I pulled out some of the old ih's that had a thick crust that I thought would never come off. Heated up some hp and put those in and just left them there. Used a soft toothbrush and sure enough the crust came off. I've found that if you have any copper coin that doesn't have any pitting or open corrosion spots you can't hurt it with hp.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left it in hp for hours. Prob 4 hours on some. If an indian head has no corrosion and just has crust on the exterior you can basically leave it in as long as you want and it won't hurt it. I actually found this out by accident. I put one in the ih and I fell asleep. Woke up hours later and saw how well it did. So I pulled out some of the old ih's that had a thick crust that I thought would never come off. Heated up some hp and put those in and just left them there. Used a soft toothbrush and sure enough the crust came off. I've found that if you have any copper coin that doesn't have any pitting or open corrosion spots you can't hurt it with hp.

Thanks for the reply, no one more question on this... are you using the generic low percentage HP you buy in the grocery store or are you using a high % "beauty supply" version?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, no one more question on this... are you using the generic low percentage HP you buy in the grocery store or are you using a high % "beauty supply" version?

Just the regular cheap stuff bud. I'm afraid the real stuff might be too strong. I only use lemon juice on silvers

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of my best results cleaning. When I saw it in the plug my first thought was "toasted copper".

5.jpg

7.jpg

IMG_20141121_150023_901.jpg

I gave it a light dry cleaning with toothbrush and dropped it in olive oil. A few days later I took a q-tip to it and this is what showed up.

IMG_20141213_124331_039.jpg

IMG_20141213_124353_463.jpg

So happy the way it came out it became my avatar :)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of my best results cleaning. When I saw it in the plug my first thought was "toasted copper".

View attachment 1119955

View attachment 1119961

View attachment 1119963

I gave it a light dry cleaning with toothbrush and dropped it in olive oil. A few days later I took a q-tip to it and this is what showed up.

View attachment 1119968

View attachment 1119972

So happy the way it came out it became my avatar :)
That's a very nice result. I'm glad this thread was started, it's fun to see these awesome coins and relics being saved a Brough back to nice condition

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread