Not Happy. Stolen detector

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The contract you have with the storage facility usually has something about coverage because its their facility that you have put faith in to hold and secure your belongings so im sure they have insurance of some kind for such a thing. Unless your contract specifically states they don't cover burglary I think they are responsible for the security of your property. As far as others stating pawn shops that's first place to go, I worked at a chain of them for years and especially if something comes in the door in a box with receipt that's a huge bonus for pawnshops. Don't get hopes up too high on home owners insurance covering it since this took place off home property and unless you had it specifically written for coverage more than likely won't be covered outside of the home. Just saying..been an insurance agent for 20 years

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
home insurance should cover it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The day I need to rent a storage unit is the day I need to get rid of some stuff.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually the home insurance will cover things that are in the car, or in a shed on the property, but once it's stored off the property as in your case, a person has to take out a rider on the policy for coverage. It doesn't hurt to check if you do have a policy.
Something to keep in mind is that just making an inquiry regarding your insurance policy coverage is enough for some companies to raise your rates, believe it, or not.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to keep in mind is that just making an inquiry regarding your insurance policy coverage is enough for some companies to raise your rates, believe it, or not.
When insurance company threatened to raise my rates after a claim I found new company, old agent asked why I was changing, I told him because your company threaten to raise my rates because I filed a legitimate claim...

He said it is normal for them to send out a letter stating rates could go up because of claim and to ignore letter, I told him it is normal for me to take my business elsewhere when threaten.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When insurance company threatened to raise my rates after a claim I found new company, old agent asked why I was changing, I told him because your company threaten to raise my rates because I filed a legitimate claim...

He said it is normal for them to send out a letter stating rates could go up because of claim and to ignore letter, I told him it is normal for me to take my business elsewhere when threaten.
I won't argue with that TH, but what I mentioned was not about filing a claim, but simply inquiring.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is why I have always said when these miscreants get caught....castrate em....the gene pool has a big enuf shallow end already

Right on guy.... Give'em to us and we'd have a field day. Thieves are low life SOB's.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The day I need to rent a storage unit is the day I need to get rid of some stuff.

True, and the costs of storing the items sometimes out weighs the fact that a person can just sell it all and then down the road buy the most important pieces again.

Storage rental over the years has been a real love hate relationship with me, moving, renovating, down sizing, and the simple fact I had too much crap!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't argue with that TH, but what I mentioned was not about filing a claim, but simply inquiring.
Oh I believe you, I'm just saying what I did when they tried to threaten me.

dragonsoldier

Jan 24, 2015
central alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely as mentioned earlier check the local pawn shops first and then Craigslist and Ebay. Most thefts are to support a drug addiction and I've not encountered to many drug dealers that have a need or a market for a detector. Also try to think of any small modifications that you may have made to the detector like changing a bolt, adding a pin pointer, or tape, etc. these small things may help you identify your detector if you do not have the serial number. Also inquire with the Police if there were any other thefts at the storage facility on that date to determine if yours was singled out. If there were no other thefts more than likely yours was singled out because someone knew exactly what was in the Unit. Next think of anyone who was around the last time you were at the facility and may have seen the contents of your unit. Lastly is the jagged little pill that is the hardest to swallow: Most thefts and burglaries are committed by someone you know or know in a round about way because no one wants to choose a random door without knowing what's behind it. I hope this will be helpful and I hope you get your belongings back. I hate a thief THAT IS WHY I CHASE THEM FOR A LIVING...

Also check local and state laws about the facility stating they are not responsible because let me guess "you had to sign an agreement" stating that they are not responsible. Believe it or not there are a lot of state and local laws in many states that pertain to this and just because you signed an agreement doesn't mean that an agreement over-rides state and local laws ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ADVERTISE A SAFE, CLIMATE CONTROLLED, SECURE, FACILTY. THE FACILTY MAY NOT BE HELD CRIMINALLY LIABLE BUT DON'T FORGET THEY COULD BE HELD LIABLE UNDER CIVIL LAW.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
And I say that is BULL cookies that there isn't anything the police can do. What they told you is pure laziness!!! They should be the ones checking pawn shops, Craig's list etc instead of you. This pisses me off when I hear this!!! Pure laziness. When I was in investigations we had a troopers gun stolen from a motel room while he was on official business and no cameras either. Working using old fashioned police work and a little forensics we got the gun back and made an arrest. Sorry guy. Hope you get your stuff back or replaced.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about the theft. Contact the police and file a report. Contact local pawn shops, read CL's ads and check EBay. If you see something on EBay resembling your detector ask for a serial number to determine if it is your property.

In most cases, thieves will "sit" on the item(s) for a bit until the "heat" dies away, so be prepared to keep looking.

Regards,

As others have stated your homeowners insurance may pay for a portion of the items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread