Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Ok so I'm creating this after my first permission asking mission (which I'm trying to not get discouraged by). It was a phone call that went something like this

Owners wife:hello
Me: Hi Maam I was wondering if your husband was available.
OW: He is mowing right now can I take a message
Me: My name is Bob ... and my son and I have recently taken up metal detecting and we were hoping to get permission from Owner to go onto the property at ....
OW: where is this property (wooded lot with old home just about enveloped by the woods)
Me: (told here where it is)
OW: Well he usually does not like people trespassing on his property
Me: I understand that completely maam and would never enter without permission which is why I am calling
OW: Ok thank you..... (click)

although she was a bit rude I can understand as I may have sounded like a telemarketer (which we all cant stand).

anyhow just want to get a feel for what you experienced people think is the best way to go about it and gets the most postive responses.

Bob.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
A cold call for permission has a pretty low probability of getting a positive response. They don't know you and it is easy to be ignored. My advice is to always visit in person if possible. You talk about you and your son doing this together. Take him along. Always try to portray what you are doing in the most positive light possible. What are you looking for? Why are you looking for it? Why are you metal detecting in the first place? If you explain that it is an activity for you and your son to enjoy together and explore things from the past, it sounds much more appealing to the landowner. Offer then something in return. Maybe they lost something in the past and have not been able to find it. Tell them you will search there first (maybe the whole time you are there) and see if you can locate it. If you do that, they will probably let you come back and look elsewhere. Maybe locate a corner pin on their lot that they don't know exactly where it is. Offer to show them what you find. If they let you hunt and there are other places in the immediate area you would like to hunt, take them a small token of appreciation each time you come back. They can then serve as a reference for you for the people/places around them. They may even call them for you if they are friends.

Make sure you leave the ground as good or better than you found it. Don't just fill your holes but make sure you put the dirt on some sort of cloth or plastic sheet so that you don't leave a lot of dirt on top of the ground. The first time you go hunting, invite the landowner to walk with you over the area you searched to make sure they don't have a problem with the way you dug and covered your holes. If they have a problem, fix it before you leave.

Getting permission in an area is much like a jar of olives. The first one is most times the hardest.

Just my way. Hope it makes sense and if you decide to try it, hope it gets you on some nice land to search.

Daryl

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Never ask by mail, or cold-phone calling. Always try to "bump into them" somewhere, like when they're out on their porch, or at their mail box, or whatever. The reason is........ think of it: What do YOU do with junk mail from total strangers? Throw it away, right? And the same for phone calls from total strangers, it is now just a given that we all hang up on pesky telemarketers, right?

And keep things simple. Nothing to sign, etc... (search or split agreements, etc...) because the average person is dubious about signing legal things with someone they just met. How would you respond if a total stranger called or mailed you something to sign? Best just to meet in person and present yourself as a history buff doing research, etc...

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
There are several threads here about this very topic, loaded with good ideas.

I always ask in person, leave the detector in the car, dress neat, and use my best manners.

Its not so much what you say, its how you present yourself.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO - Face to face is the only way.

Do research first. Find out about the property and share the information you've found with the owner before you start talking about detecting.

And get used to rejection. Try to not take it personally...

DCMatt

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
One problem I am going to have asking in person, it seems alot of properties in this county are owned by out of state people. When I drive by one I like I can look up the owner on a handy online GIS utility the county provides.

I'd say at least 65% of the properties I'm interested in are these types. I believe snail mail is my only option for contacting these people. I have found some good starter templates for letters both here on TN and on the internet

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
face to face is really the only way---be freindly, always ask politely, never seem "pushy"---having a bussiness card (you can design it using your computer and bussiness card stock) to hand them isn't a bad idea---mine says (historical research and lost item recovery) --name and address--(I tell them yI'm a history buff )-its true I look for old historic items and recover them----I also help find lost items---rings and such sometimes I can find the owners and return "their long lost" class ring or ring with names on them and such---other times I can not but I try to do so ---oh well earned the $ for my effort in my veiw. ---If turned down--try saying this---- I understand --its your land and I respect your property rights thats why I ask for your permission. thanks for giving me a few moments of your time----- saying this and not acting huffy at being "turned down" later had a few folks rethink and call me saying it was ok to hunt the land after all. if turned down just keep plugging along the more folks you ask the better your chances for getting a yes is.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I approach them with info in hand of the local history of their particular home or property. I tell them I'm a history buff doing some reaserch on the local area and am just wondering if they'd be interested in hearing about what I had found out about their home or property. Some times I'll even dress it up a bit if needed and then ask what they already knew of their home or properties history. when all is said and done I offer to help them learn more if they'd like and I also enlist their help by offering to let them use one of my spare MDs to metal detect for relics but I get to keep any coins or jewelery as payment for my services. I try to keep it all light and fun looking for a history that they can relate to and also tell their friends. I also try to never leave without asking if they can think of other people who might be interested in a historical record of their homes. I have even had them call friends to tell them about me and what I do. Now my daughter has gotten involved and does a followup call and offers to put everything into custom made scrapbooks and display cases. ;)

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
I agree face to face is the only way.If someone feels uneasy about a stranger coming on their property, The telephone call gives the person an easy way out. Face to face gives both a chance to be personable, and possibly bond with the person or persons. Then they may tell you a good place to look and if it works out good you may want to come back again, they may have property in another area and will let you know.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I only ask in person, not around dinner time, and hopefully when they are outside already. I show them some old coins and sometimes offer to split the booty. The first thing I try to put into their head before they can even think about their answer is that I will not damage anything. I also try to pick lawns that don't show too much pride. This might be why I have a high success rate! ::)

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
I find it very hard to bring myself to ask someone to dig up there neat lawn. Personally, I only ask people that have adjoining lots or land that there main home is not on. Like the one I found today. The people own two homes side by side. The one is the house they live in, and the other is an old abandoned 1800 home that has trees growing up in the driveway. So when I ask I will be asking to detect there.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
IMHO
1. In Person as described by others... neat and non-threatening
2. Snail mail with extreamly thought out approach
3. E-Mail if Goverment - with extreamly thought out approach
4. Phone call for recurring visits only

Varrying degrees of success are expected - allways be ready to just "move on" to the next dream spot.

All the previous advise is SPOT ON!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that face to face is the best way to get permission.And that is the 1st way i always try.Escpecially if it is an occupied house.
But i have to tell you that if you can not catch the person at home do to there work schedule,(around here it is really hard to catch farmers at home, or family things,phone calls do work.That is how i obtained permission for 3 of the sites i hunt.
Also i tried the letter writing on a couple of sites and eventually ended up calling and getting permission.When i finally met the owner i was told they thought the letter was someone asking for donations so they never even opened it,just tossed it in the trash.
So,try face to face and if that doesnt work try the other options,but dont rule any of them out.
Oh,someone told me once that i should try and talk to the husband if it is a married couple,does anyone seem to have better luck talking to the men than to the woman to get permission???
Good luck and happy hunting...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
teverly said:
Oh,someone told me once that i should try and talk to the husband if it is a married couple,does anyone seem to have better luck talking to the men than to the woman to get permission???

I ask whoever comes to the door, or whoever I see... even adult children. If it seems they are wondering what to do, I kinda take them off the hook and ask if here is someone else I should be asking permission from.

I've head great responses from hubbys, wives, and adult children - and, would never treat a "wife" like she has no say in the matter. If you asked my wife to "get her husband" she would still want to know why... and prolly be offended.

My experiencess only... I think each situation would be different.

wabash river rat

Feb 16, 2007
i have called and i have gone in person. so far both have worked. once you get over that initial fear of rejection and realize that you don't have permission for the ground now anyway, the only thing you are gonna lose is some time and gas. yesterday i went to ask a farmer about property he owned that use to have a house on it. he not only gave me permission to detect all i want, but also told me of three other spots he owns that i can now go. i don't know if all of that would have happened if i hadn't shook his hand and talked a little bit with him. the personal touch just seems better to me. just my humble opinion.

Godspeed,

wrr

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well everyone agrees ---that rare-----in person is the way---nothing like the personal touch. Ivan

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got lucky and found my first(which is also my present) foundation on my uncles farm land, but I have recently asked permission in person of another location(very promising, 4 old foundations on one property spread out ona back previously closed off road). Any way his response was not right now, he wanted to get any glass out of there first, he took my number. I waited a week and went back told him, I was thinking when he descided to clean out the property to give me a call I would gladly help him in return for his permission.

He didn't say a def. yes caugt him at a bad time, it seemed judging by my first encounter. But I think if you have something to offer such as this in return, it could go along way. He had mentioned others had asked prior to me, but this may put me ahead of the competion.

Plus being one who is just as into the history as the hunting, spending the time with him would give me good historical back ground on the property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread