Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not just in metal detecting - it's in everything.

I used to regret I'd never live to see mankind reach another planet. Now I think that may be a good thing.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a few You-Tube videos this evening and the guys who were demonstrating their skills were digging the nastiest holes I've ever seen. I think they could have used hand grenades and gotten a cleaner hole. Our hobby is doomed - dig em while you can!!:BangHead:

That damage was caused by pixies, land beavers and swamp gas reflecting the light of Venus! You really had me worried for a minute, I thought they did something really stupid like asking permission! You can dig, but you can't dug, if the shovel doesn't fit, the jury must acquit. A beagle isn't a bagel, and a pop tart isn't a strudel, so how could a jelly donut be a croissant? What I mean to say is Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, but Mary had a little lamb, which proves my point that all the King's horses and all the King's men could not put Humpty Dumpty back together again! ::) :icon_biggrin: :laughing7:

All joking aside, it's the sad truth a handful of idiots ruin it for the rest of us, no matter what the activity. I have watched a few videos on youtube myself that have left me feeling the same way.

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
All joking aside, it's the sad truth a handful of idiots ruin it for the rest of us, no matter what the activity. I have watched a few videos on youtube myself that have left me feeling the same way.

ive been thinking about that statement for the last 10yr or so
i think a more accurate statement would be.......
a handful of idiots, in each county, city, of these 50 united states,ruin it for the rest of us
agreed the hobby is doomed

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Only thing I resent lately. Is the sue happy people that have ruined sledding on cities sledding hills.
Here's a thought, get a damn job so you have money so you don't have to sue for a living.
Yes in the last year I've seen some folks absolutely wrecking things.
Like This guy..

Who knows maybe it is somebody on here..I'd sure like to school him. However it is pointless, society has become totally self absorbed and self centered, and most people couldn't care less how what they do affects ( or is it effects..not sure ) others...like those that text and TRY to drive.
Reply/rant..over.

BC :BangHead: :angry4::angry4::angry4:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's not how you dig,
it's what the area looks like when you leave.

Add to that, Most of the Diggers I see on videos
are doing Fields & woods.
so as long as they push the dirt in, they can't hurt anything

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's not how you dig,
it's what the area looks like when you leave.

Add to that, Most of the Diggers I see on videos
are doing Fields & woods.
so as long as they push the dirt in, they can't hurt anything

This is a very good point, Jeff. If you leave it the way you found it, there's not much to complain about, right? A lush, green, moist and turfy lawn is ideal to hide what you have been up to, but sometimes sparse grass - or weeds - can make it difficult. Sometimes a landowner is aware of their grounds and avoiding any noticeable scarring of the land is tough - especially when its dry in mid-summer. Personally, these are the times when I devote myself to water hunting beaches and rivers.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is my favorite Digger purchased from Kellyco in the late 90's I think
DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0001.JPG

on occasion I fear certain people may be intimidated when they see me
carrying it in the parks etc.
but in all honesty , I like the way I leave a place more
after using this then I do after using a gator digger .

I can push this straight down in 6" easy in most ground,
& pop a plug . then after just put the Plug back n,
Brush the Grass step on it & be Happy.

I do hide it behind my body on occasion from strangers walking by.
and have a problem with my detector sounding off as I walk at times though.

and when approached by a stranger,
I immediately lay it on the Ground so I don't make them feel Threatened.

Unless they are a Child of Course.
Like Me, Children don't ever feel threatened. :tongue3:
but they may pick it up out of curiosity :laughing7:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my land diggers...

9fd255a5073d14485a5f3ebcd790c361.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging saucer plugs as this fellow is a sure way of killing off grass. It's so simple and I wish that suppliers/manufactures would help protect their own investments and put a piece literature or something showing the simple method of pinpointing with the machine coil, and digging the plug.

It seems that the small shovel is the main weapon of choice or what they call the ET1 Pro digger/bla,bla,bla and you can wreck the image of this hobby through the public's eye in one hunt or less! Send your payment in and get this handy finds bag/sheath/and cd on how to wreck your local/soon to be your national image now, don't wait if you send in your order before... we will include a free holding/storage pack for your batteries as your machine will be sitting in the closet because you have destroyed the hobby using our shovel.

Simple plug digging 101 hold digger 90 degrees not on a 45 degree angle, cut the plug to form a horseshoe shaped plug flip back, retrieve target, flip back, folding the edges in neatly, stomp down plug, fluff grass, carry on, so simple but so hard!

I always figure if I get a signal later and dig then realizing that it's a target that I missed in the hole and I can't see the cut plug until I started digging it for the second time- well I'm doing my job correctly. If it takes a half minute between doing it correctly and not and you can't afford the time to well it's time to hang it up. The beach and bush is a great place to start detecting and practising the skills of digging.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TH,

I've got the same set around here somewhere or other....unfortunately is doesn't work very well in my clay and stoney type soil so I use a hand trowel.

Regards + HH

Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I can't touch the coin or ring with my bayonet I just leave it unless I am in sand. Pinpointer.PNG
Here is my screwdriver and it uses no batteries.:coffee2:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is my favorite Digger purchased from Kellyco in the late 90's I think
View attachment 1119944 View attachment 1119945

on occasion I fear certain people may be intimidated when they see me
carrying it in the parks etc.
but in all honesty , I like the way I leave a place more
after using this then I do after using a gator digger .

I can push this straight down in 6" easy in most ground,
& pop a plug . then after just put the Plug back n,
Brush the Grass step on it & be Happy.

I do hide it behind my body on occasion from strangers walking by.
and have a problem with my detector sounding off as I walk at times though.

and when approached by a stranger,
I immediately lay it on the Ground so I don't make them feel Threatened.

Unless they are a Child of Course.
Like Me, Children don't ever feel threatened. :tongue3:
but they may pick it up out of curiosity :laughing7:

YES! I had a digger just like that one! Loved it. I must have left it somewhere because its gone now. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: ???

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea some of those guys dig a nasty hole. But I'm normally digging around here in this hardened rock filled soil. It's mostly entirely wooded with a old wagon trail. And after I dig down 6-8" and find whatever I'd love to drop a grenade into the hole and turn it into a huge crater!!!! :laughing7: But this is my property and/or deep in the woods. I feel better now....

Everybody... Dig and fill in your holes properly on other folks properties.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my land diggers...

9fd255a5073d14485a5f3ebcd790c361.jpg

I like the size of the 7/8" scoop but What does the Ball do ?

I also believe I would bend it first dig or 2 in the soil up here :(

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Invent a virtual metal detector with a virtual digger and a virtual pinpointer. You can deduct points for leaving big virtual holes.

We'd lose half of the people back onto the couch while freeing up real hunting ground for the rest of us.

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 9.21.12 AM.png

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Invent a virtual metal detector with a virtual digger and a virtual pinpointer. You can deduct points for leaving big virtual holes.

We'd lose half of the people back onto the couch while freeing up real hunting ground for the rest of us.

View attachment 1119991

Best idea I've heard all week.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 1119991

Gee do they take Paypal? :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have encountered people dig a hole (in their mind a clean plug) - pull out trash - leave trash - not fill in the hole (or very poorly). I questioned one guy about leaving trash and poor clean-up he said: " I leave it for you guys". :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a pass/fail test. When your done can you see any sign of hole at all? If you can you failed the plug test....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread