Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AARC
  • 1 Post By Msbeepbeep
  • 1 Post By TheSleeper
  • 2 Post By Ahab8
  • 2 Post By Charlie P. (NY)

Thread: Bad dig stories ? Wish you hadnt dug "that spot" ? Wish you had stayed home ?...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    44216 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Bad dig stories ? Wish you hadnt dug "that spot" ? Wish you had stayed home ?...

I have many...
    Will start with the time I had finally talked my way into a permission...
    Guy was really reluctant to let me dig...
    I hit a PVC water line with my scoop an hour after he left...
    nicked it enough to spew water 15 foot shower...
    Last edited by AARC; Feb 16, 2015 at 07:29 AM.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Oct 2009
    7462 times
    Nope, never had that thought once in 30+ years of detecting!

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    44216 times
    May your days continue to be filled with "joy" heh
    Jason in Enid likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    12456 times
    Maybe because I'm expecting something like that to happen, it hasn't.
    Can't say that for my life when not detecting.
    AARC likes this.

us
    Sultan of the Sand

Nov 2006
    Virginia
    Minelab SE/Excal
    263 times
    Now ARRC, your not supposed to try digging to china in someone else's yard.

That musta been one deeeeeeeeep target or else one shallow water line, actually you might have done him a favor. If you hadn't nicked it and discovered how shallow it was, it could have froze and cracked later resulting in a huge water bill for the home owner, as it was underground it could have leaked for months and not shown on the surface.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all water lines must be installed below the frost line, some areas that could be 2 feet deep, doubt you dug that deep.

Actually the way I see it, you did that homeowner a favor as he prob had no idea that water line was so shallow. I know it didn't seem like it at the time but you did that home owner a favor.

There's a silver lining to everything you just have to look real hard
    Last edited by TheSleeper; Feb 17, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
    AARC likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    44216 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
    Now ARRC, your not supposed to try digging to china in someone else's yard.

That musta been one deeeeeeeeep target or else one shallow water line, actually you might have done him a favor. If you hadn't nicked it and discovered how shallow it was, it could have froze and cracked later resulting in a huge water bill for the home owner, as it was underground it could have leaked for months and not shown on the surface.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all water lines must be installed below the frost line, some areas that could be 2 feet deep, doubt you dug that deep.

Actually the way I see it, you did that homeowner a favor as he prob had no idea that water line was so shallow. I know it didn't seem like it at the time but you did that home owner a favor.

There's a silver lining to everything you just have to look real hard
    LOL.. man I am in Florida dood...
    No water line is deeper that 1 foot.
    The ground here does not "freeze" EVER...
    Most lines like sprinkler lines etc are only about 6 inches down.

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8273 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I was kind of wishing I hadn't dug a signal in the center of a yellow jacket ground nest. I was on a huge island by myself and am deathly allergic to them. Of course my epi pen was in my work lunchbox. If I had been hit more than once or closer to the heart it would've been lights out. Good reminder to carry my epipens
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	916.0 KB 
ID:	1123959

Views:	80 
Size:	728.4 KB 
ID:	1123960
    These pics were hours later. My hand was much bigger at it's worst. It took me a long time to get back to my canoe and back to shore then home. It literally feels like your skin is going to rip it swells up so much
    AARC and CoilyGirl like this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Knowledge in machine struck coinage and colonial through 1800's Relics.

Feb 2013
    New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Woods
    Teknetics T2 SE (DST) Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup) 15" T2 coil Pro-Pointer Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 Fisher F2 Fisher F-Point
    5685 times
    Coins and Relics
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab8 View Post
    I was kind of wishing I hadn't dug a signal in the center of a yellow jacket ground nest. I was on a huge island by myself and am deathly allergic to them. Of course my epi pen was in my work lunchbox. If I had been hit more than once or closer to the heart it would've been lights out. Good reminder to carry my epipens

Views:	79 
Size:	916.0 KB 
ID:	1123959

Views:	80 
Size:	728.4 KB 
ID:	1123960
    These pics were hours later. My hand was much bigger at it's worst. It took me a long time to get back to my canoe and back to shore then home. It literally feels like your skin is going to rip it swells up so much
    Wow! that's pretty scary, I would have panicked. Thank god you had an epi-pen with you. I get stung and I'm not allergic and it hurts like hell.

Coinman123

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11459 times
    Metal Detecting
    I had a similar reaction to an encounter with bald-faced hornets when I was cleaning leaves out of a roof gutter. I thought I had cut my hand on the flashing and when I looked at my hurting hand there were three of them jabbing me repeatedly with their stingers (two on my hand - one on my arm - I could see the stingers under my skin as they slid in and out!) and chewing with their mandibles. WOWZER!! More were arriving. It was a Cape Cod with a full dormer front and I ran along the dormer, down the back and right off the 10 ft roof in the back to the ground below. My hand looked like yours and my pulse was racing for hours.

My father-in-law was allergic to yellow-jackets. He was a big, strapping cabinetmaker but his throat would swell shut. Scary indeed. Yellow jackets hadn't bothered me other than the pain like a bee-sting, but these guys wiped me out. I lopped off a fingertip below the nail in a tractor fan and it didn't hurt as much as those hornets! Though that hurt longer (and was happily reattached).

Back to detecting . . .

I was working an area beside a fishing access site and came across a little wad of metal that registered as lead. Couldn't make out that it was a bullet, but it seemed to have a round base so I figured it was a fired and distorted small-caliber pistol bullet. I put it in my pouch to clean off for later investigation. Then I stared to find many. One was coiled and partially unwinding. Wha. . . ?

I walked over to the river and sloshed a couple in the water.

What I had a little "cache" of were tightly rolled up tin tubes of 1940's or 50's condom ointment with the tube paint or labels disintegrated. Yuck. Must have been someone's favorite necking spot. There must have been two dozen in a 10 x 10 ft area. You go, Joe!
    AARC and kingskid1611 like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links