Bad dig stories ? Wish you hadnt dug "that spot" ? Wish you had stayed home ?...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, never had that thought once in 30+ years of detecting!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May your days continue to be filled with "joy" heh

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe because I'm expecting something like that to happen, it hasn't. :icon_scratch:
Can't say that for my life when not detecting.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now ARRC, your not supposed to try digging to china in someone else's yard.:thumbsup:

That musta been one deeeeeeeeep target or else one shallow water line, actually you might have done him a favor. If you hadn't nicked it and discovered how shallow it was, it could have froze and cracked later resulting in a huge water bill for the home owner, as it was underground it could have leaked for months and not shown on the surface.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all water lines must be installed below the frost line, some areas that could be 2 feet deep, doubt you dug that deep.

Actually the way I see it, you did that homeowner a favor as he prob had no idea that water line was so shallow. I know it didn't seem like it at the time but you did that home owner a favor.

There's a silver lining to everything you just have to look real hard8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now ARRC, your not supposed to try digging to china in someone else's yard.:thumbsup:

That musta been one deeeeeeeeep target or else one shallow water line, actually you might have done him a favor. If you hadn't nicked it and discovered how shallow it was, it could have froze and cracked later resulting in a huge water bill for the home owner, as it was underground it could have leaked for months and not shown on the surface.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all water lines must be installed below the frost line, some areas that could be 2 feet deep, doubt you dug that deep.

Actually the way I see it, you did that homeowner a favor as he prob had no idea that water line was so shallow. I know it didn't seem like it at the time but you did that home owner a favor.

There's a silver lining to everything you just have to look real hard8-)

LOL.. man I am in Florida dood...
No water line is deeper that 1 foot.
The ground here does not "freeze" EVER...
Most lines like sprinkler lines etc are only about 6 inches down.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was kind of wishing I hadn't dug a signal in the center of a yellow jacket ground nest. I was on a huge island by myself and am deathly allergic to them. Of course my epi pen was in my work lunchbox. If I had been hit more than once or closer to the heart it would've been lights out. Good reminder to carry my epipens
image.jpg
image.jpg
These pics were hours later. My hand was much bigger at it's worst. It took me a long time to get back to my canoe and back to shore then home. It literally feels like your skin is going to rip it swells up so much

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was kind of wishing I hadn't dug a signal in the center of a yellow jacket ground nest. I was on a huge island by myself and am deathly allergic to them. Of course my epi pen was in my work lunchbox. If I had been hit more than once or closer to the heart it would've been lights out. Good reminder to carry my epipens
View attachment 1123959
View attachment 1123960
These pics were hours later. My hand was much bigger at it's worst. It took me a long time to get back to my canoe and back to shore then home. It literally feels like your skin is going to rip it swells up so much

Wow! that's pretty scary, I would have panicked. Thank god you had an epi-pen with you. I get stung and I'm not allergic and it hurts like hell.

Coinman123

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar reaction to an encounter with bald-faced hornets when I was cleaning leaves out of a roof gutter. I thought I had cut my hand on the flashing and when I looked at my hurting hand there were three of them jabbing me repeatedly with their stingers (two on my hand - one on my arm - I could see the stingers under my skin as they slid in and out!) and chewing with their mandibles. WOWZER!! More were arriving. It was a Cape Cod with a full dormer front and I ran along the dormer, down the back and right off the 10 ft roof in the back to the ground below. My hand looked like yours and my pulse was racing for hours.

My father-in-law was allergic to yellow-jackets. He was a big, strapping cabinetmaker but his throat would swell shut. Scary indeed. Yellow jackets hadn't bothered me other than the pain like a bee-sting, but these guys wiped me out. I lopped off a fingertip below the nail in a tractor fan and it didn't hurt as much as those hornets! Though that hurt longer (and was happily reattached).

Back to detecting . . .

I was working an area beside a fishing access site and came across a little wad of metal that registered as lead. Couldn't make out that it was a bullet, but it seemed to have a round base so I figured it was a fired and distorted small-caliber pistol bullet. I put it in my pouch to clean off for later investigation. Then I stared to find many. One was coiled and partially unwinding. Wha. . . ?

I walked over to the river and sloshed a couple in the water.

What I had a little "cache" of were tightly rolled up tin tubes of 1940's or 50's condom ointment with the tube paint or labels disintegrated. Yuck. Must have been someone's favorite necking spot. There must have been two dozen in a 10 x 10 ft area. You go, Joe!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread