6.7 million pounds — or $120 billion worth — of gold.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
versus some fish ...

Pebble Mine debate in Alaska: EPA becomes target by planning for rare ?veto? - The Washington Post

As fate would have it, a second treasure sits precisely atop the first: the spawning ground for the planet’s biggest runs of sockeye salmon, the lifeline of a fishery that generates $500 million a year.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative read.
Difficult situation, but I think it should be dealt with locally. Hope it's not to late...
Peace ✌

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Catch 22 situation, with all that gold you could buy one heck of a lot of fish, but if there aren't any fish to buy, what good is all that gold.

There isn't anyone here that doesn't realize how much damage a large scale mining company does to the land, they strip it bare and it takes years for it to regrow back to its natural state. Which is fine for tundra or timbered ground, to me that's no different than a farmer turning his field to prepare it for a new crop, but an area like they are talking about, doubt it would ever recover.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I think about having once swam in this lake and trying to reach the pebbles on the bottom then realizing that it was just too far down. The reason was the waters were so clear and it has been said some of the cleanest waters in the world.
Now this is what the headwaters look like after a breach of a tailings pond. Sure gold is gold, but once we crap on the very spots that feed us what good is anything?Residents calling it an environmental disaster: tailings pond breach at Mount Polley Mine near Likely, BC | Globalnews.ca

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread