Sharing my grief this past evening. Stuck on ridge and then....

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Between my wife's chronic back pain and depression she "overdosed" herself on the pain pills and I had to call 911 a few days ago. They finally got her stabilized yesterday but she's not in her right frame of mine. I guess between the two it was too much for her to handle. I'll take control of the drugs now... her needed surgery is now put off for quite awhile.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very sad. i have 2 daughters. 300112_239334736111712_7926654_n.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear, Brad. I can only imagine back pain and the loss of a daughter and a grandson at the same time. I've know back pain and the loss of a daughter, but not both together. I can only pray that things for you and your wife get better quickly. Not only her, but you have all of this on you. You will be my prayers.

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope your wife gets some professional support during this difficult and painful time..that must have been frightening for you

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

I hope your wife gets a good counselor to work through her problems.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a call today from a reporter from the Tennessean newspaper today around 4:30 our time. I was asked how I felt about the 2 indictments handed down today toward the death of my daughter and grandson. I hadn't ever HEARD ABOUT THIS till this call. I turned into a "little girl" again. Can you imagine being asked this "cold turkey"....?

How do I feel.....??????????? Unless you read the accident report it's hard to understand maybe my feelings. No drugs or alcohol involved. But, 2 of the 3 drivers involved were way out of bounds for the present conditions. Vehicle computer readings of 2 vehicles show very excessive speeding for the conditions, bad tires (cords showing).

1st vehicle had 5 passengers w/3 children within, tire cords showing when it lost control for some reason and flipped multiple times.

2nd vehicle / semi was speeding also when it happened upon crash with my daughter and grandson helping the adults and children while parker 4 lanes away on right.

3rd vehicle / semi came upon scene and ran into 1st semi and drove it into Kristi & Carter killing them. 3rd vehicle / semi computer showed 35 mph in the last minute of travel. The 1st & 2nd vehicle showed 60 mph the last minute.

How do I feel....?

(1st vehicle) Bad tires, speeding with 5 passengers. Were they wrong (HIM)... DAMN RIGHT!!!! His life is now ruined forever.

(2nd vehicle - semi) 60+ y/o man speeding on ice during an ice storm.... Hit his brakes hard hit the wall on right, flipped and headed across the highway heading left. Is he wrong... DAMN RIGHT!!!! His life is now ruined forever.

The 3rd driver was going the "correct speed" @ the time and said the other semi passed him about a 1/2+ mile away quickly. When this last driver topped the ridge he saw the chaos in front of him. He headed left but the other semi had hit the wall on the right.... skidded left and cut him off from avoidance. He then hit the 1st semi shoving it forward.... and the rest is history. The other young children were safe, the other 2 adults along with Kristi and Carter were running to get out of the way. Kristi and Carter were killed... the other 2 adults were taken to Vanderbilt with non-life threatening injuries and survived.

How do I feel....? Well I can't bring Kristi and Carter back what so ever. I don't want to see the 1st vehicles family all torn apart due to his mistake further. The 1st elderly semi drive's life will never be the same either....? Can you even imagine what the 2nd semi driver is going through...? He was doing everything right and was actually the one who had the last hit leading to my daughter and grandsons death.

How would you feel....? It really doesn't matter what so ever I guess. Lawsuits can be filed and massive amounts of money paid out. But further lives will be ruined forever without the slightest intent intended. I was taken by surprise today..... Brad

2 men indicted in deaths of mother, son on I-65 in Franklin - WSMV Channel 4

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD GOD! I'm SO sorry!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow Brad...this is a new twist that hit you right out of the blue. Your right though, it doesn't really matter how you feel as it doesn't bring them back. However it sounds like the right thing is happening (as right as it can be anyways). It is stunning how negligent the first two drivers were. I hope the pain continues to ease for you. This is truly tragic...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sry Brad! Those are tough questions! I can't even begin to imagine! I also see your point.

My views on negligence don't belong here. But I agree with what I think your saying in the post. Although, very different situations/tragedies, I lost a brother, and it wasn't on purpose it was an accident, and there is nothing anyone can do to bring him back, everyone that knew him or that was there that day is changed forever, on all levels. I don't blame anyone in the accident in his case now. It wasn't intended. It kind of hit me one night when I saw the guy that he was involved with in the accident at a bar, he wouldn't even look at me and you could just feel the pain on his face, he's living with it just as hard as everyone else. That's a tough question and hard to even think about. That is the only thing I have to even remotely relate to what I think your saying or asking.

added.....
To be completely honest though, At one point or another through the past years, I've blamed everyone. From my self,him,his friends, to the property owner of where it happened. I think it was my way of trying to sort out all the emotions. Time also seems to stop.(or did for me for years, there is a section of years I barely remember, I try daily.)

Like I said, there is really nothing any of us can say to ease the pain or compare what you are going through with, every situation/tragedy is different. I'm sorry you have the phone call on top of everything else to think about!

I think God just needs some of his best early! And yes, I was mad at him too, for years!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do I feel about the Grand Jury indictments? Am I going to attend any hearing? Am I going to attend any trials? Are lawsuits going to be filed now? Hell I don't honestly know the answer to any of those questions or the others asked.

But I do know this.... All of those involved in this tragic accident never set out that evening to kill anyone (I assume - who the hell would). It was a "perfect storm" of events. Ice on road and freezing rain still coming down, slight ridge ahead blocking view ahead, 2 vehicles speeding, 1 with real bad tires. Those 2 crash and flip. My daughter and grandson stop to help. The driver doing the "right thing" for conditions is trapped in the chaos with nowhere to go.... he hits and actually pushes 1st semi into the folks killing 2. Not one person involved in the 3 crashes died... only 2 trying to help.

While I'm trying to process this I have a friend in S.C. who was shot on purpose by a repeated convicted felon and not a damn thing has happened to date. That I can process and I know how I feel!!!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad you are an amazing man. When so many would revert to their own emotions and feel only selfishly, you see the big picture.
It is indeed a tragedy on many fronts. No one intended harm, perhaps the survivors will learn to value life more and act to protect ALL life.

Seek not revenge, enjoy the unselfish acts of your daughter and grandson..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate your reminder and I am so sad for your loss. I can't imagine the pain your going through. Were here if you need us.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just thought I'd let those who remember this threads content know something special....

The Chief of Police of Franklin, TN. (Miss Debra Faulkner) wrote me a few weeks ago. She stated there was going to be a ceremony honoring 5 retiring officers and 5 civilians who stepped forward to help others within the past year. My late daughter and grandson were 2 of the five honored. She asked if my wife and I could/would be present. I said yes and we went on Dec. 1st.

They presented us with a very beautiful award in memory of what Kristi and Carter did. We were truly honored to be there and receive this award. When Kristi's young daughter (4 now) grows up I truly hope to be around to give it to her in memory of her late mother and brother.

What's very ironic is that my youngest daughter's (Nachelle) mother died when she was 3.5 years old and I raised her. Nachelle has no memory of her late mother and I fear Kristi's daughter (Adelyn) will not of her mother and brother.... breaks my heart! Both women were fabulous and caring mothers.

Please call and touch base with those you truly care about still..... Brad

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a excellent update Brad. Hopefully she does have a few memories.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Should memory be dim of a mothers character and other fine points, it can still be shared.
I know of a grandmother never met because she was remembered, and spoken of often enough to tell my child a little about still.
Hang in there bud and just love em.

Interesting post as tonight a phone conversation was had with 88 yr old ex step dad.
Took a lot of years to ever say we loved each other....a lot of years despite being awful close.
Your experience is understood as a big reminder to not take partings so casual. Or wait for partings to wonder what if or should I have ect..
Wadn't no family before or now didn't know you loved em though.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry. Will pray for you too.

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Share stories and pictures often to remind her.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for your lost. I hope that the driver is arrested and sent to jail for life.

Well guy I'm kind of torn about what is right and just at this point. I believe that all 3 drivers never set out to be involved in the event that developed. It was a "perfect storm" of events that resulted in my daughters and grandson's deaths. The SUV driver who flipped in front of her with 3 children and wife had bald tires (cords showing) and was averaging 58 mph over the last minute of travel. The 1st semi driver was averaging 59 mph over the last minute and vehicle was in good shape. The 2nd semi driver was averaging 30 mph over the last minute and vehicle was in good shape. Everybody passed alcohol and drug tests. While the speeds don't sound excessive.... they were for the horrible conditions present. People could barely stand upright on the road due to the freezing temp and rain coming down. Then add in a slight ridge in road blocking view ahead, low lighting and that sealed it... someone was gonna get hurt/killed.

The SUV hit black ice, flipped several times and spewed items down the road. Kristi & Carter stopped along with another car. They (not Carter) got all the children rounded up and into other vehicles. The 2 adults were hurt badly and she was tending to them (RN). She called Carter over to pick up the children's items along the barrier and the speeding 1st semi came over the ridge and instantly jackknifed trying to stop... Nobody could out run 1st semi as it slid toward them. It hit them, SUV and stopped further injuring the folks present. During this time the 2nd semi topped the ridge going much slower. He tried to head to the other side of the 4 lanes to avoid everybody. But the 1st semi then slide across road when he was attempting to escape. He failed and slid into the 1st semi killing Carter and Kristi. The other 2 adults from the SUV survived. Truck drivers were "ok".

The SUV driver and the 1st semi driver were charged with 2 counts. "Reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon" & "Failure to exercise due care resulting in death to another". The 60 y/o 1st semi driver lost his CDL license and his family income and will probably pay dearly with the pending charges. The SUV driver and his family's lives will never be the same again either. He must have limited means of income because it took him a long time to be bailed out of jail with the pending charges. And I'm sure his family has suffered also.

So... I'm torn Samuel what's gained by sending them "to jail for life". It will change nothing and I'll get NO SATISFACTION upon hearing this if it happens. Everybody loses in a "perfect storm".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread