Sharing my grief this past evening. Stuck on ridge and then....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well guy I'm kind of torn about what is right and just at this point. I believe that all 3 drivers never set out to be involved in the event that developed. It was a "perfect storm" of events that resulted in my daughters and grandson's deaths. The SUV driver who flipped in front of her with 3 children and wife had bald tires (cords showing) and was averaging 58 mph over the last minute of travel. The 1st semi driver was averaging 59 mph over the last minute and vehicle was in good shape. The 2nd semi driver was averaging 30 mph over the last minute and vehicle was in good shape. Everybody passed alcohol and drug tests. While the speeds don't sound excessive.... they were for the horrible conditions present. People could barely stand upright on the road due to the freezing temp and rain coming down. Then add in a slight ridge in road blocking view ahead, low lighting and that sealed it... someone was gonna get hurt/killed.

The SUV hit black ice, flipped several times and spewed items down the road. Kristi & Carter stopped along with another car. They (not Carter) got all the children rounded up and into other vehicles. The 2 adults were hurt badly and she was tending to them (RN). She called Carter over to pick up the children's items along the barrier and the speeding 1st semi came over the ridge and instantly jackknifed trying to stop... Nobody could out run 1st semi as it slid toward them. It hit them, SUV and stopped further injuring the folks present. During this time the 2nd semi topped the ridge going much slower. He tried to head to the other side of the 4 lanes to avoid everybody. But the 1st semi then slide across road when he was attempting to escape. He failed and slid into the 1st semi killing Carter and Kristi. The other 2 adults from the SUV survived. Truck drivers were "ok".

The SUV driver and the 1st semi driver were charged with 2 counts. "Reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon" & "Failure to exercise due care resulting in death to another". The 60 y/o 1st semi driver lost his CDL license and his family income and will probably pay dearly with the pending charges. The SUV driver and his family's lives will never be the same again either. He must have limited means of income because it took him a long time to be bailed out of jail with the pending charges. And I'm sure his family has suffered also.

So... I'm torn Samuel what's gained by sending them "to jail for life". It will change nothing and I'll get NO SATISFACTION upon hearing this if it happens. Everybody loses in a "perfect storm".

I can surely see your point. More pain and suffering sometimes doesn't ease pain and suffering. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I was one of the drivers, especially the last semi...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can surely see your point. More pain and suffering sometimes doesn't ease pain and suffering. I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I was one of the drivers, especially the last semi...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Your damn right.... I can't even imagine what this man is thinking or going through now. I want so much to talk to him but can't. I wouldn't get 5 words out to him and I'd break down quickly. I have his number from the accident report (public availability) but he probably can't talk with the pending legal charges.

I guess I don't... really... know what is right or wrong concerning this matter.

greentree89

Mar 28, 2013
UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro VLF Eldorado Old Metal Box Version
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry Brad. This is just unimaginable. My prays are with you.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May God bless you and your wife and comfort you in your loss and pain. I can't think of two more deserving people for that award than you daughter and grandson. They willingly stepped up to help another in need, and out of love for their fellow man and pure goodness of heart gave all they had to give. God rest their beautiful souls.

TKgal

Feb 15, 2015
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I don't... really... know what is right or wrong concerning this matter.

(((((HUGS))))) Brad,
You are a strong man, Thank you for sharing something so personal and painful. I am sure others have been inspired by your family's journey. I know I have been.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta share this because I guess I just can't understand how some people think...?

The people who rolled over in front of my daughter and grandson had 5 people within. Two adults and three children. Mr. Norwood was driving back home to Alabama from Chicago.

Mr. Carney was driving his semi to...????.

Both were charged with neglect leading to death's among other lesser charges.

Mr. Norwood's SUV had bald tires, was speeding and lost control upon the ice covered road, flipped and rolled/tumbled down the road.

Mr. Carney's semi was speeding for conditions upon the ice covered road.

Both passed drug & alcohol tests. Kristi stopped to help Mr. Norwood's family as some were badly hurt. After the children were moved into another vehicle my Grandson was summoned across the road to help pick up the children's debris spilled upon the road. Mr. Carney's semi came over the slight rise and couldn't stop, overturning, hitting the SUV and coming to a stop. Everybody was still alive then.

So fast forward: I contacted the DA a few weeks ago to see whatever happened to the two men's charges. Both pled quilty to all charges. But this is way I'm posting this post today.

The very person / people that Kristi stopped to help after flipping (SUV) were pissed. Mr. Norwood didn't understand why he was being charged with anything and resented it. The DA said he had absolutely no remorse at all nor showed any to the end. In fact they said he was defiant to the end and was sure they'll deal with him through probation violations soon.

But... She said Mr. Carney was devastated (1st semi driver). He was willing to plead guilty to "anything" and move forward. I understand he couldn't even "stay together" while in their office, court or afterward. This man is 63 y/o. She stated he'll never be the same unlike Mr. Norwood. She felt sorry for him (Mr. Carney) she stated.

And the irony of the whole event is neither Mr. Carney or Mr. Norwood actually killed them. The following 2nd semi did while following all the rules. He wasn't speeding, passed all drug and alcohol tests and did all he could to avoid the carnage in front of him. Mr. Carney's truck was going around 58 mph the last minute, topped hill, touched brake and lost control upon the ice slicked road. His truck came to a stop overturned, hitting the SUV but everyone was still alive. The next semi topped the hill @ 35 mph, saw the carnage in front of him and tried to stop but had no where to go to avoid the vehicles even at 35 mph. He then slide into Mr. Carneys overturned semi truck pushing it further forward then killing Kristi and Carter and injuring others.

I can't understand why Mr. Norwood feels resentful for being involved and those killed trying to help him and his family upon his accident.

I wrote a heartfelt letter to the DA to forward to Mr. Carney to let him know I forgive him. While I can't change anything I wanted him to know I'd be willing to talk and listen if it would help him at all. I don't want this man to suffer emotionally further if I can help him. I know he didn't top that incline with the intent to kill my child or grandson. Nor can I understand how I would feel if I was him...? But I feel bad for him because of what the DA shared with me.

This was about 3 weeks ago and I've heard nothing. And this is fine because maybe he just feels better hearing what I wrote too him. But if he ever calls I asked him to be patient with me while we talk. Maybe someday he'll feel the need and call.

I'd like to know how the 2nd semi driver feels who was charged with nothing. What he was involved within would tear me up.... But that's just me.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I could imagine that Mr. Norwood may feel guilt and just doesn't want to be reminded about the whole thing and doesn't know who to deal with it emotionally. At least that is my hope. But nowadays many people are only concerned with themselves and what happens to themselves.
Anyone only concerned about their own lives will find that everyone reaps what they sow..

I am still with you Brad, keep maintaining

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Norwood may not want to admit to being in the wrong & the start of the whole thing for multiple reasons. I get the impression he is a less than steallar person & takes no responsibaliry & wants to play the victim in this.

The first truck driver due to a minor mistake contribuated to the results, wishes with all his heart he could change things (he has a soul & compassion). The second truck driver feels equally as bad even tho he has no contributating factors other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No one who's lives this touched will ever be the same. The way in which each person deals with it will ultimately be the key to their ability to live wirh it.

It looks like Mr. Norwood's life has already started to unravel and decline, which the PD has noted. He will be his own undoing.

You have reached out and done all you can as a compassoniate human being.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

You went to hell and back with loosing both a daughter and a grandson during this mishap....myself and most members who posted are proud of them as well as you based on how you dealt with a very difficult time in your life.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mr. Norwood may not want to admit to being in the wrong & the start of the whole thing for multiple reasons. I get the impression he is a less than steallar person & takes no responsibaliry & wants to play the victim in this.

The first truck driver due to a minor mistake contribuated to the results, wishes with all his heart he could change things (he has a soul & compassion). The second truck driver feels equally as bad even tho he has no contributating factors other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No one who's lives this touched will ever be the same. The way in which each person deals with it will ultimately be the key to their ability to live wirh it.

It looks like Mr. Norwood's life has already started to unravel and decline, which the PD has noted. He will be his own undoing.

You have reached out and done all you can as a compassoniate human being.

I guess I just can't understand how after Norwood's accident and the aftermath of results from it he has/had no compassion for the aftermath. And I only know this because of info related to me from the D.A's. office. They made it very clear to me he had no remorse. I find that so hard to believe that the very person who stopped to help him, his wife and children upon their emergency he has no remorse for. It's the ultimate sacrifice whether you signed up or not for it.

The first truck driver didn't just make a "minor mistake". He ignored warning's and keep on trucking forward passing the 2nd semi 3/4 mile before topping the incline, flipping and rolling forward at an avg. speed of 58 mph the last 1 minute. But the conditions were quickly deteriorating by the seconds. The 2nd semi averaged just 35 mph the last minute and still couldn't control his rig upon impact. I reached out to the 1st driver (Mr. Carney) to help him if I could because I know he didn't clear the ridge to crash at all. The D.A. said he was in horrible shape mentally. I really would like to talk to him.

I'd like to talk to Mr. Norwood also but I doubt this will ever happen.

I'd also like to talk to the 2nd semi driver to relieve / help and/or see how he feels. I have no idea how he feels....? I know how I would.

Karen.... your right... you can only do so much as a compassionate person. That I am lady to all but I truly wish I could do more.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

You went to hell and back with loosing both a daughter and a grandson during this mishap....myself and most members who posted are proud of them as well as you based on how you dealt with a very difficult time in your life.

Regards + HH

Bill

Thanks Bill..... I'm "better" but I'm still a "little girl" at times in my workshop when alone.

I too am proud of Kristi and my Grandson for what they stepped up to do at the time of need. And damn the folks who criticize Kristi for stopping with her son in tow. I too would have stopped and helped a family in need also. Especially if I witnessed the entire event in real time.

Not ONCE did I address all the negative posts on the news about her decision. It tore my heart out further reading them.

It's so "easy" being an armchair warrior after the fact by what some of those people wrote for 2-3 days after their deaths. But we're not reviewing a football game... I'm still living it.

Now with all the above written.... I KNOW THEIR ARE FOLKS ON THIS SITE AND AROUND THE WORLD WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME OR WORSE... and my heart goes out to them all no matter how their loved one / one's died.

Maybe we ought to have a forum for our lost loved ones.... human, animals and all...?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,
Sometimes the selfishness of people distress me greatly. I can tell you are a caring person.
The first thing I would have done is pull over to help the possibly injured.
In this you must feel pride in your children for doing the right thing and making the ultimate sacrifice.
Always in my prayers.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,
Sometimes the selfishness of people distress me greatly. I can tell you are a caring person.
The first thing I would have done is pull over to help the possibly injured.
In this you must feel pride in your children for doing the right thing and making the ultimate sacrifice.
Always in my prayers.

Thanks RustyGold.... I am proud of them for stopping. They didn't plan on dying while trying to help but I am proud of them for helping those people. I just can't understand why the driver of that SUV is so pissed over his simple charges and never expressed thankfulness for those who stopped to help him and his family...?

Like I said before there are MANY folks who have lost loved ones under conditions much worse than my daughters and grandsons. My THANK YOU to all of those who have served in the military or law enforcement. Millions of folks have lost loved ones while they served... It just hits home when it's you under any circumstance.

I LOVE YA DAD..... He served in Korea as an MP in the Army. He survived and passed in my presence a few years ago. My last words to him were "I love you, dad"... He reached up grabbed my wrist and just barely whispered... "I love you too" and passed.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTI...

Just had to say and let's let it go... I cried enough in the wood shop today for 10 children but that's me.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Crying ain't what's wrong with you.
Having to wait for another hug(s) is. I can't stop your pain bud. It comes from your loving, and that I would not take away.
You gotta wait a while though.
Hang in there.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, your friends are with you, and we'll always be here. All my blessings to you and yours my friend.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this thread when it was first posted and I read three or four pages before noticing the date. Even if I had read it when it first was posted I would not have had, and still don't, have the words to express my feelings. I can only add that God never gives us more than we can handle. My heartfelt prayers go out for you and your family. Mr. Norwood may not take responsibility for his actions now but he will answer for it when his judgement day comes.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just texted my Kids because this Post. I am So sorry for your loss. I know I don't know you but if you need someone to talk to PM. Be strong!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread