Klingons

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a beautiful spring morning as my coil cuts a visible path through the dew. I'm soaked from the knees down. The threshold sings a lovely song in my ears. I've found a small handful of aged coins,looks like a near perfect day! "Hey mister, what ya looking for?" I look up to see a Beaver Cleaver and Larry Mondello type pair of eleven somethings. "Snakes" I reply. "Really?" Thinking again, "Radiation leak". "Can I have it?", "Hey mister, are you poor?" For the next thirty minutes or so I don't need a pinpointer. Now don't get me wrong, I like children. Heck, I've got one of my own. He's grown up and engaged now. But anyway, I do like kids and am always eager to maybe spark an interest in the hobby. So I let them (as if I had a choice) follow, lead and get in the way. "Well guys, I think that I'm about done BING here. Shoot, thats a good one. BING BING Oh my. "what are you looking for?" " Your Mother". My question is this, how do you folks handle Klingons?

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fart. Sorry I couldn't resist! Lol!

If your boring they will eventually go away. If not you may have to disappear and come back when they are gone. I detect early Sunday morning...alone.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some time ago I was at my local park (I used to detect on my lunch-break as I worked just across the road) and a little pre-school guy came up and went through about the same questions you had. "Whatchadoin?" Two women sitting on a bench at the tot-lot nearby so I figured he was with them. I put the detector on speaker and got a hit and went through how I pinpoint, explaining the whole operation. When I dug the shallow target and popped out a quarter he grabbed it like a shot and ran off! Little pillager.

Had another "groupee" that was maybe 9 or 10 and she was in my tracks at a town commons where silver occasionally lurks. Non-stop yabber, yabber, yabber. About anything BUT detecting. No adults anywhere. I finally packed up and drove to another spot figuring: #1 - no hope of hearing much with the one-earpiece Rattlers I had, and #2 - if "Dad" comes out of a nearby house he may wonder why I'm walking around with his daughter, and #3 - I figured if I dug too many of anything, even much clad, the word would be broadcast that some guy was finding money in the park. (I have too much competition there already).

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting swimming beach the kids can bug the heck out of you. I always worry someone will trip on my scoop an get hurt. They usually leave when I tell them a lil kid drowned earlier and I'm looking for him. If they bump into him they can call me. The water is usually very cloudy. I am left alone after that.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do my best to ignore them and act like I can't hear them. If I do answer I take my headphone off and say "what?" hoping they'll get the clue. More often than not though they just keep on asking questions.

I had a kid one time grab something, I still don't know to this day what it was, out of my hole and run off. He was bent over as I was recovering a good target from a site known to produce barbers, Indian Heads and V-Nickles when he reaches down grabs something and ran off.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in about '81 I was living in Monroe, Michigan, and found a spot that was pretty old, not a park but well used & forgotten. It was one heck of a hot day, felt like 98, but I was eager. Out of nowhere came 5 of the Klingons. They actually knew what I was doing, and they were dropping cents here and there, I saw them doing it. It's about the only darned thing I found that day. I guess they ran out of cents, and left. Frustrated after that, hot, and not finding anything since I had all their cents, I packed up and left.

I am polite, and try to ignore the klingons, but they have run me off sites before.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's nice in a situation like that is a detector that will tell a pre-'82 cent from a post-'82. I had a "funny" coworker who did exactly that to me and I blew his mind showing him I could not only tell they were on the surface but how old.

I have noted in parks that use high nitrogen fertilizer locally a post-'82 isn't worth bending over for after a year. CoinStar won't accept the "oatmeal cookie" dissolved messes they become. I only dig the TID of that number (58 to 62 range for my F-75) if they are over 4" deep or it's an older park; 'cause that's the same a half-dime and IHC reads.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when I'm outgunned, and when the Klingons arrive I depart.

OP
OP
Peachy

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I myself was a curious, rough and tumble boy so I can put up with far too much. I surely NEVER would have grabbed a find from someone and ran off! I think that this year, I'm respectfully going to tell them to get lost. It might get around to leave the old curmudgeon alone. Not really like me, but in this day and age you don't want to be the guy with all the children around him,for sure.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give them a couple clad coins to play hide and seek with you, when they run off to hide the coins disappear.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting swimming beach the kids can bug the heck out of you. I always worry someone will trip on my scoop an get hurt. They usually leave when I tell them a lil kid drowned earlier and I'm looking for him. If they bump into him they can call me. The water is usually very cloudy. I am left alone after that.
I have the same problem when water hunting at one of the beaches I frequent, I am going to try using your line come summertime, Good one!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hunting buddy and I have come up with an idea to rid ourselves of the eye ballers and klingons. We're getting shirts made that read " Relic Investigation Unit" on the back and on the front where the pocket would be have RI Unit. Make it look all official like were part of a crime scene investigation crew. It may not keep them from looking but should keep them at a distance.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One's not bad if they stand at a safe distance and just watch, two gets to be a concern if they want to see what's been recovered, three it's a mob, 4 on bicycles is down right scary for operator and equipment, I'm gone with the haunting phrase running through my mind " Run Forest Run"

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I will be the first to admit that I am the definition of the "get off my lawn" grumpy old fart. That being said when a kid comes to shadow me and is respectful (as they get anyway) and honestly interested I go back to the early 70s when me and a friend where in a park near San Diego CA and saw two guys detecting. I am sure that we where just as or even more annoying than the kids today but they put up with us and let us each find, dig and keep a target (I found a ornate key plate) and we where on our way. And that my friends was the introduction to a life long addiction. I try and do the same for the kids in the park. Now, the older punks and thugs.....that is another story.

JimK

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peachy

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I will be the first to admit that I am the definition of the "get off my lawn" grumpy old fart. That being said when a kid comes to shadow me and is respectful (as they get anyway) and honestly interested I go back to the early 70s when me and a friend where in a park near San Diego CA and saw two guys detecting. I am sure that we where just as or even more annoying that the kids today but they put up with us and let us each find, dig and keep a target (I found a ornate key plate) and we where on our way. And that my friends was the introduction to a life long addiction. I try and do the same for the kids in the park. Now, the older punks and thugs.....that is another story.

JimK
That brings up another point. All Klingons are not children. Very curious and persistant adults have run me off. Please opine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread