Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everybody is entitled to a bad day. How do you know what she was going through prior to answering the door. Maybe her life is falling apart, maybe she is going through a bad divorce, maybe she lost a loved one, we never know what tragedy somebody else is going through in life. Maybe she is just some rude idiot, sometimes it's not always easy to tell why people act the way they do. How would you feel if you found out she was struggling through a family tragedy? I'm not defending her, just saying sometimes we have to think about what other people may be going through in life.

Well said, Sluice. Its always noble to take the high road. :thumbsup:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes crazy people do deserve a big fat reality check, but I'd wager that those car alarms disturb plenty of innocents in that part of the neighborhood, most of whom probably don't like waking up before 4 AM for a week straight.

The practical joker in me wouldn't turn his nose up at the prospect of this sort of "soft revenge" (if justified), but I wouldn't drag the rest of the neighborhood into it, as they had nothing to do with the woman's rude behavior.

Regarding suggestions to "consider her side" and whatnot, all I can say is that even on my worst days, when friends/family have died or other undesirable events in life or business have occurred, I never use it as an excuse to lash-out at others and treat people rudely or crappily. If anything, I tend to be even more kind and sensitive. If people don't do me the same courtesy and instead take out their petty frustrations of the day on me, I am extremely slow to forgive such behavior. I can definitely understand if you're the same way.

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody is entitled to a bad day. How do you know what she was going through prior to answering the door. Maybe her life is falling apart, maybe she is going through a bad divorce, maybe she lost a loved one, we never know what tragedy somebody else is going through in life. Maybe she is just some rude idiot, sometimes it's not always easy to tell why people act the way they do. How would you feel if you found out she was struggling through a family tragedy? I'm not defending her, just saying sometimes we have to think about what other people may be going through in life.

I believe that making excuses for people like this is the reason that common curtisy is on the endangerd list these days. To paraphrase a favorite movie of mine I hate rude behavior....Wont tolerate it!

JimK

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally understand your reaction. You were trying to help and she was rude and wouldn't even hear you out, she just assumed you were with the cookie sellers. I probably would have stood there and pushed the car alarms then waited for her to come out, at which point the fate of her keys would have been up to her. If she let me explain I would have handed them to her, and if she slammed the door again they would be on the roof, and I may or may not tell her where they are, but I would have left her keys there one way or the other.

We all have delt with rude or mean people when we were not having the best of days ourselves, most of us would at lest find out what someone wanted before we wrote them off.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Produce Guy was having all the hardships in his life that you say this rude woman may have been going through...bet you didn't think about that.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I have been on the planet a long time, too. I have learned a lot over the years, probably not enough, but a lot.

One thing I have learned is that "leopards do not change their spots."

As one poster pointed out, people who are not always nasty don't get really nasty just because of a major personal tragedy. Look at the T-net posting by the father from Tennessee whose daughter and grandson were killed by the semi. He did not turn nasty; far from it.

It has been written that virtue is its own punishment. This was a perfect example of that.

I cannot say I'd have done the same thing. But, I do understand it. :D

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is an old joke. A man walks up to an attractive woman and says, " Would you have sex with me for a million dollars?" She thinks for a moment and says," Sure for a million dollars." He then asks her, " Would you have sex with me for 50 cents?" She is very angry and says, " No! What kind of a woman do you think I am?" He says, "We have already established that, what we are doing now is haggling over the price."
So what is your price for doing the right thing? Only if people pat you on the back? If people act the way you want? Life is hard, and it is hard to be honorable when others don't appreciate it. But sometimes honor is it's own reward. Are you a good person even when those around you aren't? Or is that out of fashion?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
When she slammed the door I would have just rang the bell and yelled I found your keys. Most likely she would have opened the door, seen me smiling dangling her keys, then she would apologize and thank me. Or snatched them out of my hand and slammed the door. I'm good with both possibilities. Its about how I conduct myself.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Produce Guy was having all the hardships in his life that you say this rude woman may have been going through...bet you didn't think about that.

I hardly doubt it, most people struggling through a tragedy don't have time for practical jokes.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that making excuses for people like this is the reason that common curtisy is on the endangerd list these days. To paraphrase a favorite movie of mine I hate rude behavior....Wont tolerate it!

JimK

I'm not making excuses for her or even justifying her behavior. Common courtesy endangered? How would doing the right thing and extending common courtesy endanger it?

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on the planet a long time, too. I have learned a lot over the years, probably not enough, but a lot.

One thing I have learned is that "leopards do not change their spots."

As one poster pointed out, people who are not always nasty don't get really nasty just because of a major personal tragedy. Look at the T-net posting by the father from Tennessee whose daughter and grandson were killed by the semi. He did not turn nasty; far from it.

It has been written that virtue is its own punishment. This was a perfect example of that.

I cannot say I'd have done the same thing. But, I do understand it. :D

Please don't use the loss of his daughter to make a point.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Keys? Heck, I'm still stuck on the fact that people walk around with their dogs using everyone else's yard as a toilet.

That's about as disrespectful as her rude response to the knock on the door.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said, Sluice. Its always noble to take the high road. :thumbsup:

Thanks Higgy!

We all have our days, I try to put myself in the other person's shoes because you never know what they could be going through. Some people are just idiots and some people are just having a bad day. A little compassion and consideration might be wasted on a few who don't deserve it, but it's worth it.

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When she slammed the door I would have just rang the bell and yelled I found your keys. Most likely she would have opened the door, seen me smiling dangling her keys, then she would apologize and thank me. Or snatched them out of my hand and slammed the door. I'm good with both possibilities. Its about how I conduct myself.

"Its about how I conduct myself." Bingo! :icon_thumright: I would have done the exact same thing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have Tried to Butt in and Say "Hey ! I just wanted to ask Are these Yours" :BangHead: ?

But, even though it's not mine, I like your Attitude :laughing7:

if she hadn't let me get a word in edgewise,
my not knowing how to use these new fangled paranoia Keys
would have conviced me to keep them & throw them in my found key bin.

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I would definitely not do that, but I would be very annoyed and upset. I would give her the keys back very nicely, most likely she will get guilty and will say sorry for how she was acting and thank you for returning her keys. It was a misunderstanding, but I bet if it was actually a girl scout at the door and she did that the girl's parents would probably be pretty upset. I have to admit, that was a pretty hilarious story though, 1am rolls around and she hears "BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!" it seems that you are now her alarm clock. I would give them back without letting her know that it was you, just drop them on her front door when she is sleeping or out of the house.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Having dealt with the public for years one just doesn't know what has happened in somebodies life in the previous moments before they have a bad hair day in front of you. Number of things could be just plain wrong but two wrongs don't make a right. A friend said one time to me "Just kill them with kindness" take the higher road show kindness to them and walk away at that.

I agree, That is what I would have done.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old joke. A man walks up to an attractive woman and says, " Would you have sex with me for a million dollars?" She thinks for a moment and says," Sure for a million dollars." He then asks her, " Would you have sex with me for 50 cents?" She is very angry and says, " No! What kind of a woman do you think I am?" He says, "We have already established that, what we are doing now is haggling over the price."
So what is your price for doing the right thing? Only if people pat you on the back? If people act the way you want? Life is hard, and it is hard to be honorable when others don't appreciate it. But sometimes honor is it's own reward. Are you a good person even when those around you aren't? Or is that out of fashion?
How GOOD do you think you are?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I hope that's a big slap in the face for her.... :laughing7: Evil woman !!

Keep @ it and HH ! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread