Sled hill detecting

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Sledding hills are one of my secret spots. I don't share those with anyone.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I won't share mine either. There's more than a couple around these parts. If you are new to detecting, finding them can be a chore because kids don't play outside anymore. Just taking note isn't going to work. Best to ask old people, "Hey, when you were kids, where did you go sliding?" Old folks are always happy to reminisce with someone. In fact, I like having some standard questions to ask old timers such as, "where did you all go swimming around here," and "Any old fairgrounds or picnic areas around here?"

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, I won't share mine either. There's more than a couple around these parts. If you are new to detecting, finding them can be a chore because kids don't play outside anymore. Just taking note isn't going to work. Best to ask old people, "Hey, when you were kids, where did you go sliding?" Old folks are always happy to reminisce with someone. In fact, I like having some standard questions to ask old timers such as, "where did you all go swimming around here," and "Any old fairgrounds or picnic areas around here?"

I will say...old folks are a rich source of "what used to be".

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the sledding hills around here are usually good snowmobiling areas too. So where they tend to gather to gear up is also a good spot. Crazy how many rings come off when people are removing mittens and gloves all the time.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being on the flat eastern shore of Maryland there aren't many places for sledding so I know where im going as soon as the snow disappears.
We had a place called suicide hill when I lived in North Beach, Md.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm guys im not asking where your spots are im asking if you all are just keeping an eye on them waiting for the snow to disappear. Pfft im not a noob to detecting asking for a hand out if that's what was thought. Now if im wrong and that's not what you guys are thinking im sorry but comments like keeping your spots a secret etc came across to me like you thought im asking.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep keep'n watch...but at this point in time we can literally sled or ski right off the roofs and down the snow banks around here.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Umm guys im not asking where your spots are im asking if you all are just keeping an eye on them waiting for the snow to disappear. Pfft im not a noob to detecting asking for a hand out if that's what was thought. Now if im wrong and that's not what you guys are thinking im sorry but comments like keeping your spots a secret etc came across to me like you thought im asking.

I think both, badger. John from Edmonton hunts in the snow, a lot. I hit those hills in the Spring.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my best places...snow play areas.my wife and I drove down the mountain two weeks ago just to do recon on the flatlanders.man,they are a determined bunch.we couldnt believe some of the suicide spots they were using.it seems if there is a spot to park they were there.our personal goldmine.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had any luck in our local sledding hills. Could be that they have been hunted really hard in the past, but I don't find much in the way of recent drops either.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No worries badger,I know what you meant. We used to go sledding on a hill (street) back when I was but a wee coil but sadly the areas to detect would be city property in the setback line. The bus stop was there too. Now ya got me thinking.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had great luck, but then again, lots of snow and sledding in these long Minnesota winters. Best for me has been the top of the hill, where people sit down to sled and apparently drop the coins from their pockets or take off gloves and knock off rings, and way down at the end of the run, where they are stopping themselves. A little bit in between but not much.

As I am driving in winter, I am always looking for sledding tracks on hillsides and will hit these spot as soon as we get sufficient ground thaw.

Last edited:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

We know you weren't asking for that, brother. Sheesh as if anyone here would tell you that! lol Someone did a post that was entitled "show us your safe" or something like that. I'm like, seriously? haha

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don't get your panties in a bunch. What I meant by secret, is that I don't take my detecting friends to those spots. I save them for myself. And I only made the comment about snowmobiling spots because I thought maybe someone might not have thought about those types of areas before.

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I don't have my panties in a bunch I don't wear any im going commando today. Just the way things were worded made it look a certain way is all. Today we hit the mid 30's and snow melted some now we're going to get hit with 0 degrees for next few days so no melting, no getting out..have to be positive though..this gives ppl more of a chance to go sledding etc and make a target rich environment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread