Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: md's and planes

Last time I flew with my machine I had to disassemble it and box it up in my baggage as they wouldn't allow it on the carry on baggage. Also, they will not let you insure electronic equipment, so be sure you use plenty of bubble wrap and or protective covering. I packed mine in bubble wrap inside a suitcase, then put it inside a larger suitcase and it made it through ok with no damage. Check with your local airport or airline carrier for up to date information as they change on a whim. Monty

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I used much of the original packing from the box my MD came in, but I put it inside an old suitcase that was roughly the same size as the shipping box. The suitcase was slightly larger than the original box, so I had room to pack all my other MDing stuff in it.

Checked it with the other bags and it was fine.

One tip - remove the batteries. Travelling with young children, I've found that they tend to open and search bags with electronic devices (toys) that have batteries in them.

DCMatt

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I flew with mine from NY to CA. I went to the Salvation Army and got a Hard suit case packed it with cloths around the detector and checked it under the plane. I just told the security people whats in it right away. Including my 5 inch spade, I had no problems. They even let me bring back bullets I found!!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Another good idea I saw was someone who protected the detector by first using a small suitcase to put the detector in. He then put a big suitcase over it and put it in regular baggage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread