One Mans Trash, another Mans Treasure

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
One Man's Trash, another Man's Treasure

I tend to think outside the box and stay outside the box until someone or something forces me back in. So this thread is "out of the box" but it may be worth something. Maybe.

I think we all find our share of junk. We are usually looking for other things and the junk just happens. I tend to look at it and toss it. Sometimes I bring it home and clean it up some then throw it away.

Sometimes the junk has an interesting shape, design, or is just kind of neat. Some of it is hard to throw away. So here is a suggestion that might get some other family members involved in your hobby and have a good time with it.

What if you made (or bought) a frame say 16"x20" or some large format. Put a piece of plywood in it and cover it with some type of fabric to complement old rusty things - maybe burlap or something similar. Take the interesting junk items and start placing them in the frame. Rearrange them as you add new ones. Take some off and add new ones. Maybe this will bring out the artist in you, your wife, girlfriend, kids??? When you have a display that looks good, take a hot glue gun and attach everything. Hang on wall.

Not only should it look pretty neat (if you choose carefully and arrange in a pleasing way) but it will be a reminder of many of your hunts. It will be a good converation piece when somebody asks about your hobby.

Anybody already doing this? If so, maybe post a picture of a completed display.

We spend so much time digging this stuff, it would be good to find a use for it. I would also say that if you are good enough and can really put together some neat looking displays, you could sell them. Maybe for quite a bit of money. Wouldn't it be a hoot if your wife, girlfriend, kids, could put these together and make more money than you find detecting for the "good stuff?"

Tell me if I'm stupid.

Daryl

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: One Man's Trash, another Man's Treasure

"You're stupid"

:D

Sorry - couldn't resist.

I gotta tell you. I'd pay for your "art" before some that I have seen based only on the description. Whaddys say we have a contest? I have a bucket of crap in the garage from dug junk. I'll meet your challange, by jove!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Great idea! You could sell these. People love this kinda stuff.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Charlie P. (NY) said:
"You're stupid"

:D

Sorry - couldn't resist.

Oh man that was unexpected... I've been laughing out loud for five minutes! :D :D

Truth is... I do this, just don't have pictures... I have a large display (deap oak frame with red felt backing) hanging in my office that includes a bunch of square hails in a sunburst pattern around an iron ring with a bunch of .45-70 bullets and shells, to include a historic picture of the area being used. It's pretty cool and serves the stated purpose, to start conversations about the hobby.

Good post! :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Oh man that was unexpected... I've been laughing out loud for five minutes!

I think {I hope} BioProf, and you MJim, have read enough of my/his/yours/our posts to know we have good senses of humor and are among friends. Only a true friend will tell you a truth that hurts . . . or someone who dislikes you . . . or just a mean person who doesn't really care . . . or . . .

Oh hell, I hate him for those two gold coins. There. I've said it and I glad. I hate him. I hate him. Waaaaaaa.

Man, I wish I'd ate less paint chips whan I was a kid.

I still think I'm going to try my hand at an artistic scrap heap when I get home. Come to think of it. That describes my basement, garage and desk.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Oh man that was unexpected... I've been laughing out loud for five minutes!

I think {I hope} BioProf, and you MJim, have read enough of my/his/yours/our posts to know we have good senses of humor and are among friends. Only a true friend will tell you a truth that hurts . . . or someone who dislikes you . . . or just a mean person who doesn't really care . . . or . . .

Oh hell, I hate him for those two gold coins. There. I've said it and I glad. I hate him. I hate him. Waaaaaaa.

Man, I wish I'd ate less paint chips whan I was a kid.

I still think I'm going to try my hand at an artistic scrap heap when I get home. Come to think of it. That describes my basement, garage and desk.

I took it as intended... funny and unexpected... I appreciated the humor.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the laugh! ;D

BTW Charlie - your new avatar creeps me out... :o

DCMatt

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

DCMatt said:
Thanks for the laugh! ;D

BTW Charlie - your new avatar creeps me out... :o

DCMatt

Oh my Gawd I've been wanting to say that for a long time too... LMAO

Sorry, don't want to highjack the thread...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you. Thank you very much.

The eye belongs to my favorite TV personality. Gomez Addams/John Astin.

Attachments

• addams02.jpg
    addams02.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 269

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

At first, I thought it was Peter Cushing as the Swedish Bookstore proprietor in "Top Secret"... (You'll have to look it up, I couldn't get the pic to post)

DCMatt

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Daryl You really have a great idea. I have not been MDing long, but My items so far have made it into flower pot containers and in the garden beds. I found a fire poker last week , now it is a stake for my climbing cucumber vine.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Prof., you erred right from the very first sentence. Metal detectorists do not find junk, we ony find junque! Never say junk, it's a four letter word that should only be referred to as that "J" word. M :D nty

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

OK Junque. The price of my displayed Junque just doubled.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread