Why was Lewis & Clarks expedition not wiped out by tribes ? (History)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lewis and Clark were always vastly out numbered by the tribes they encountered along the way. It would have been easy for them to be over run. There was one item that saved them time after time. Here it is. If memory serves me correct they left from the Mandan villages where Larson lives and returned there as well.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video is convincing. Puts an entirely different spin on their incredible journey.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to turn it political but it destroyed the belief the single shot musket was the most advanced weapon at the time the 2nd was written.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a story. I've read the book (and everyone ought to pick one up and read it if they haven't , or purchase Ken Burns' documentary of the exposition on DVD) but I always wondered the same thing. Perhaps they owed as much to that rifle for saving them from the Grizzlies that just got pi$$ed off by the first ball. Thanks for sharing the info..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hum if they used disposible or refillable type small air tanks in the buttstock (for speed of reloading the air pressure )--and made a modern version of say 45 caliber round balls ... that could kill deer effectively and quietly at 100 yards -- I think that there could be a "sporting market" for a 45 caliber fast reloading high powered air rifle --if it was "legal to hunt with during "antique / muzzleloader weapon" type hunts .. just think 20 shots before having to reload ..sweet

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what the fps were on that round. Amazing power for such a large round. I do not even get that pressure with my large electric compressor. I would like to find a Lewis and Clark medallion if in that area. Talk about the ultimate trade good.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link Tnm , an amazing rifle , learnt something new today ..cheers Mick

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think, if the north or south was smart in stocking up on those prior to the Civil War how it would have turned the tables very quickly?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i am very familiar with the Chinook sites that they ended up at on the coast, as well as many sister sites too.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I had never heard of the air rifle being with them. That was pretty cool stuff to watch and well worth the time, thanks for posting it!:thumbsup:
Their connections at or very near present day Nebraska City, Nebraska, Freemasonry, Suicide (if you want to believe he reloaded his gun for the second shot) and even more so Clark's involvement with Andrew Jackson and Lewis Cass. Clark tried to maintain peaceful relations with indigenous nations and negotiated peace treaties but he was involved in President Andrew Jackson's Indian removal policy. This included "his duty to oversee removal". He managed retaliation against Black Hawk and those allied with him in the Black Hawk War, when hostilities arose between them and the Americans. Clark issued "an extermination order", which he gave to Lewis Cass, a man who played a central role in Jackson's removal policy and mentor to J.Sterling Morton is all amzing stuff!

Nebraska City has a Lewis and Cass site that is very interesting to see. Lewis and Clark Missouri River Basin Visitors Center

L.C.:thumbsup:

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lewis and Clark what an interesting journey and what a great tourist bonanza. If credit was given where it's deserved people would realize that they were following on the coat tails of earlier explorers like Thompson. Lewis and Clark were in fact not much more than imposters ....sorry to burst your bubble.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible story, I'd never heard that. Geez, and maybe my kinfolk wonder why I'm on this forum......

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, what a rude post I made....note to self don't post after drinking scotch. That stuff makes me gruff.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Believe that Sacajawea had a bit to do with their journey. If interested you can read the journals. Best part--how this rifle(I presume) handled grizzly bears...

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot on the expedition as well as this airgun.Napoleon Had the air rifle banned from combat as an inhuman weapon because it wasn't fair that it left no smoke to ID The position of the shooter.If I remember correctly it was a 42 cal. and it was capable of 30 rounds before reloading. The first to were good for 150 yards,the next ten - 125 yards and the last ten at 100 yards.The only downside was that it had to be pointed in the air to let gravity drop the next round into the chamber. If I remember correctly it took 3500 pumps to fill the compressed air chamber,but they had extra chambers to just swap out when needed.Quite ingenious!
Another very interesting fact about the exposition is that the weighed out 100 round of lead,then powder.They made a lead container to hold the amount of powder,filled it and sealed it with patches sealed in beeswax.When these were issued you put the patches in the patch box,powder in the powder horn,melted down the lead and poured into the mold and good to go.
There is a memorial in Sioux city for the only man to die on the expedition.

Wade

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting bit on the gun and when it was made. It must of been a real wonder to the natives to first see a smokeless gun or to anyone for that matter.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda. They mostly were not killed because the natives they encountered had already fostered relations with the French/Canadian Voyageurs and had an established trade. The voyageurs trapped and traded but did not make any land grabs for farms or mining and got along great with the locals.

Sacagawea was married to a French/Quebecois trapper when L&C arrived. She probably did more being with them than the air rifle. War parties did not bring women along. They were more a curiosity to the locals than a threat.

With hindsight they would have wiped them out. A bow reloads faster than an air rifle and is even more silent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread