Advise Please

Musicmancol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Advise Please from Japan

Hi Guys,

My first post, so I apologize if its in the wrong place. I have recently got into metal detecting and love it, I recently purchased a Garrett Ace 350 simply because i live in Japan and its VERY hard to find any detector other than whats available on amazon, I did a lot of research but skipped a few key things that have come back to bite me.

The machine has had issues from the beginning, target jumps all over the place all the time, false positives in every site i have gone to..even beeps in the air sometimes. This machine is an import of course so i think it also have ground balance issues with Japanese soil (might be wrong) from research this could be one of the faults. By the way this is in all modes

I am fed up digging holes everywhere like a rabbit :cussing: and the machine is going back to amazon as its ether faulty or the importer should stop importing here due to it not functioning in the soil. It doesn't matter what sensitivity its on it does the same in all sites, batteries have been changed, coil is plugged in correctly, factory reset via holding the button for 5 secs. Nothing works

Now I need some advise, If there are any hunters on here who hunt in Japan please please let me know if there are any good places to buy from other than limited amazon, Ebay might be OK if it wasn't for the shipping fees almost costing the same as the detectors :) Im so limited on what i can buy and the cost of some places I have found in Japan is nearly double you would pay in the US (no one metal detects here or very few) please can you also guide me to a good firm willing to ship here.

I have been looking at the Minelab X-TERRA 705 which is a good all rounder as far as I can tell, I have looked around and I can see it has a lot of better features including ground balancing and frequency changing and loads more etc etc, but how many steps up is this from the ACE 350?

Any real world users here? Any issues? how does it cope with beach conditions and trash?

I have looked at the AT-pro but I've read people say it also suffers from ground mineral issues.

Your advise is valuable so thank you in advance! :notworthy:

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are you hunting close to power lines,base stations or anything else that might cause electrical interference?if so, could have something to do with the false signals

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Where are you hunting? Inland or the beach? It makes a big difference in the ground conditions! If you are primarily at the beach a good machine for that environment is also offered on amazon.com as well as a host of other detectors for all terrains! Maybe you need to do some more research! Best of luck with your search and welcome to TNet!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace-350 is a pretty trusted metal detector. I think that it would work the same in Japan as it would anywhere else but I may be wrong. It is either a faulty machine or you did not do the setting correctly (it took me a week or two to figure out settings on my first machine. If you are hunting on the beach than the minerals probably made it work like that. I do not know the settings so maybe someone else can help with that.

Welcome to TNet, Coinman123,

OP
OP
M

Musicmancol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all thanks, I'm hunting in land, no power lines in a few open space fields, think it's a faulty machine, Thanks for your replies

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all thanks, I'm hunting in land, no power lines in a few open space fields, think it's a faulty machine, Thanks for your replies
Probably not the problem,but check and make sure your coil wire is connected to the box properly,and that your coil wire is not too loose where it wraps around the stem all the way up to the machine.some times a coil wire can cause a disturbance if it is to loose,but you don't want it to tight either where the wire meets the coil head and where it connects to the box.I don't know anything about Garret machines settings,but you might want to check them out again.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have read Japan has highly mineralized volcanic soil. Try lowering your sensitivity as it may be set too high. However in lowering the sensitivity you will lose depth. Might not be an issue if targets are not that deep. If that does not work then all i could suggest is a pulse induction machine. Good Luck! Mike

OP
OP
M

Musicmancol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I want some control at least over ground balance here incase, I belive garret make and ace 350 and ace euro, both the same machine but the euro is balanced for higher mineral content (might be wrong) if so I got an import from the U.S. this could explain it...or broken machine lol, thanks for your help, I'm going to research where to get and what, still thinking the minelab xterra 705 is looking ok, from the YouTube videos and what people say, still very expensive here to get, crazy prices one Japanese website compared to the U.S. :-/

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
faulty machine...send it back.many ace 350s in use all around the world.it sounding off while in the air is definitive.at pro handles high mineral soil very well.i live in highly mineralised mining district and at pro is quiet and stable.a friend swings an ace 350 with no problems here.the 350 does not like being close to cell towers(none really do)
good luck and welcome
cheers

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's sounding off in mid air I would say it's faulty. I'm a garrett user and if I was in Japan I would go with the 705 or ML 3030 depending on your budget. Good luck and let us know what happens! Where abouts in Japan are you hunting if I may ask? (just a general area, I don't need GPS coordinates hahaha)

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My T2 was sounding off in the air and acting like yours. I sent it back to Teknetics and they fixed it at no cost.

OP
OP
M

Musicmancol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers guys, @voodoo was hunting in Chiba, was hoping to get down around yamanashi (where my Fuji is) and also around Izu beaches and along the old Tokaido road (used to connect Edo to Kyoto) it's built over most places but there are still some old places in the country, maybe some old coins there.
One good thing is there are not many people in Japan that detect so should be a lot to find hopefully, but the bad thing now is finding a machine lol I should be hunting what's in the ground not having to hunt a machine first. There are two suppliers of minelab in Japan one quoted me yesterday ¥129,000 $1085 lol for the X-TERRA 705 crazy, every place I'm contacting said they don't ship here :-/ will keep hunting. Anyone in Japan is welcome to join me when I get a machine lol thanks guys!!!

OP
OP
M

Musicmancol1

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, I am now waiting for my X-terra 705 to arrive, happy hunting people!

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby! I have a 350 and at home it goes crazy (I live by powerlines), but once I get it out into the fields and parks it only tones when it is supposed to. If you are outdoors, not by powerlines, and not standing infront of an anvil, it should probably not be bleeping constantly... but I do recommend you mess with the sensitivity, and try the different settings to see if it quiets it down. Coins mode for example might do the trick until you can get away from whatever is causing the false signals.

It could be possible you were standing on top of a coin horde at the time. ;)

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread