For All You Treasure Hunters in The Northeast...

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question, would you prefer to metal detect in an area, such as the southwest, that never snows much in the winter and you can detect all year round. The only problem is that you would have to give up all the colonial artifacts you are spoiled with. Would you rather be in an area where it is warm all year round but sacrifice old items or be in the northeast with old items except only detecting 9 out of the 12 months of the year? Also, people in warmer but newer areas that do not snow, would you give up your current location and detect in the northeast and find old items but deal with the cold frozen ground part of the year.

I would chose to live in Arizona any day of the of the year without a second thought, not sure I would give up the colonial artifacts though, I'm so used to them and spoiled with finding them I would hesitate on giving them up.

What do you think?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only fair trade would be a split, part time in AZ in the winter months because come late May it's nearing 100F, June through September it's just too hot to hunt during the day, at night it was nice.

No I like the seasons even though there's the down time for the 3-4months during the winter months.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The only fair trade would be a split, part time in AZ in the winter months because come late May it's nearing 100F, June through September it's just too hot to hunt during the day, at night it was nice.

No I like the seasons even though there's the down time for the 3-4months during the winter months.
I am with you there..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No colonial artifacts here - this area was West of the Ft. Stanwix line and not settled until after 1785. No Rev. War or Civil War (though General Sullivan passed through to attack Indian settlements in the Clinton & Sullivan Campaign).

I want to detect in California where gold was in circulation. I don't think many folks ever handled gold in their day-to-day lives in this region - ever.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
been out there,snakes, scorpians and viscous women ,I can wait for sunshine, thanks for askin.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was born and raised in MI. I lived there for 38 years then moved to TN. Admittedly I NEVER dug colonial items in MI. nor TN. But I can relate to the snow and cold. MI. had BOTH in abundance. But when I moved to TN. it just never snowed nor got cold. The engrained locals thought so but being from MI. there's no comparison. Now after 21 years anything below 32 is cold to me and all I scrap out of the ground are horseshoes and old iron parts (where I live).

I'm sticking with the horseshoes, hard soil and warmer shorter winters... Maybe I'll find an iron button someday!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking maybe your mountain is magnetic or something to attract all those horseshoes!
You are now the horseshoe King!

Being a snow bird sounds good about now, splitting time between both places.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
.....no viscous women for me either....

I will always pick colonial over year round, if for some reason I have to get a 'fix' in the winter months I think I'll book a trip to the UK or something like that, keep the Rosie's and wheaties, I don't need to go detecting in February to find those

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This winter has been so tough....but I absolutely love the different seasons. Seeing the snow melt and the grass start to grow is such a happy time of year for me. Life is returning and people are coming out of hibernation. I would NEVER give up the colonial finds. I am so spoiled with the sites here in Midcoast Maine it's ridiculous. For anybody in this area if you're willing to put some time into the research and get on some great old sites you cant help but be successful. I have this fantasy of having a small collection of Mass silvers by the end of this journey. I'll deal with these hellish winters to give myself a chance at reaching that goal

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking maybe your mountain is magnetic or something to attract all those horseshoes!
You are now the horseshoe King!

Being a snow bird sounds good about now, splitting time between both places.

Maybe.... but I'm thinking with all these shoes in such a small area there was a LOT of activity here at one time. Civil war, my undocumented cave and the river crossing close by need to be MUCH further explored. I'm talking about with an MD.... Brad

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a plan!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as it pains me to say it, I love living up here in Northeast pa, the history here is ridiculous

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread