CCC camps ?

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Would be nice to know what a CCC camp is. I flipping hate acronyms.

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To tell you the truth I'm not sure I have ever seen it spelled out. I think it is the Civilian Conservation or Construction Corps. A government project back in the 30s that put folks to work around the country when there were no jobs.Anybody out there want to tell me what the right name is also? LOL !

Wade

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted a few CCC camp locations. Made a lot of nice finds. Remember that these guys didn't have much money and if they dropped a nickel, he and his buddy would be looking for it! These were mostly tent sites so there are things to be found. Permission is the big thing as most of these are now state parks and the like. I probably have ten of them in driving range and only one is accessible to metal detectors. Park rangers don't have much to do sometimes.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know where two were approximately but have not found them with certainty. CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) was a make-work infrastructure project that the F.D. Roosevelt Administration came up with. They cleared land and "built" or worked on many of the federal and state parks. They planted billions of trees and constructed roadways.

It was a brilliant idea back when folks were too proud to just take money without showing effort for it.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted in a couple of the old CCC camps in GA back in the 80's, found a few Wheats from that era but not much else. My father was in the CCC, and I have his "dog tag" which is brass, round, hole punched, and stamped with his name and number that he had been given. Most those guys had the majority of their pay sent home to help their families and had very little cash with them to loose, after all it was the Depression. Cheers!!

OP
OP

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a documentary this week that indicated the money was mandated to be sent home. One guy said he got $10 a month and $20 was sent home.

Wade

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its civilian conservation corps - CCC - used during the depression to provide govt work projects to provide employment for men so that they could provide for their families ..typically the bulk of their pay was sent home --they did many various labor intensive work project -- like at the Hillard , Florida camp (which was manned by blacks*) they did a lot of reforesting --planting small trees in areas that had been formerly "logged out" ---there were various camps -- black camps --former army vet camps --and plan old just white men camps -- the typical things you find at a "work camp" are the items you will find at these camps for the most part.

some camps were located alongside railroad tracks --like the one in Hilliard ,Florida was --others will be some distance from them --the records will often say the nearest train station / town post office location and distance to it

building roads , reforesting places and making trails in state and federal parks were all just some of the things they did..

Last edited:

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
images.jpeg 2.jpeg Here you go.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know this topic got me thinking, what about scouting camps? like for the boy scouts and girl scouts? has anybody ever looked into those. i remember going to onwe in my younger days as a scout for the jamboree's. i wonder if those could be hunted. also i belive in stark new hampshire there is an old concentration camp where ww2 prisoners were sent, it would be nice to get back there some time...

i found this...hope its ok to post a link...
Camp Stark: New Hampshire?s WWII POW Camp | The Leisurely Blogger

Last edited:

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huh interesting it started off as a ccc....

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scout camps can be very productive. In the late 70's thru the late 80's I was active with my sons Troop as an Asst. Scout Master. My best years detecting were those same years as many camps had never seen a detector at that time. Some camps are very old and the tent lines are reused often as troops move in and out. Be sure to secure permission from the local Scout Council before going into a camp as these are full of young kids in the care of a few adult leaders, and they have to know who is on site and what their intentions are. To go in without permission is no different than you walking into a day care to detect the sand lot without permission. Or maybe a better option would be to donate your time to a local troop as a Troop leader or possibly a merit badge councilor then you get to go along officially to the camps.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scout camps can be very productive. In the late 70's thru the late 80's I was active with my sons Troop as an Asst. Scout Master. My best years detecting were those same years as many camps had never seen a detector at that time. Some camps are very old and the tent lines are reused often as troops move in and out. Be sure to secure permission from the local Scout Council before going into a camp as these are full of young kids in the care of a few adult leaders, and they have to know who is on site and what their intentions are. To go in without permission is no different than you walking into a day care to detect the sand lot without permission. Or maybe a better option would be to donate your time to a local troop as a Troop leader or possibly a merit badge councilor then you get to go along officially to the iii

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions