Garrett AT Pro or Teknetics T2 SE

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/White's MXT/Teknetics T2 SE/Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been a relic hunter for over 15 years and am in the market to get a new machine. I have only ever used a White's Spectrum XLT and am trying to decide if I want to get an AT Pro or a Teknetics T2 SE. I am trying to get any opinions, good or bad, I can from those who have used these machines. Any help that is offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first machine was a T2 SE last year. I was blown away at the finds I made in my first season. If you'd like to see some of them I have a Post in the best of Tnet 2014. The only complaint I would have is that the id numbers are not all that accurate. But I care little about that as I hunt very old sites and dig everything. I needed a very deep machine as I'm digging 300 year old items that have settled down very deeply. Certain sites that I hunt have finds that are minimum of 8" and up to 13-14". If you plan on water hunting the AT Pro is prob a better choice. There's lots of successful guys that use them. But to me with the new upgraded T2 SE you can't go wrong. Good luck. You will get tons of good advise on here

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the T2 and the AT-Pro is a very good combo if you can afford both get them..... I`m thinking of trading my or selling my F-75 for the AT.
Gary

OP
OP
H

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all for the input I appreciate it. I have always relic hunted by sound and honestly very rarely ever paid attention to the vdi numbers my machine gave me and I have always done very well that way. I am sorta leaning towards the T2. I wish I could afford both machines but that's not possible right now. A friend who has done amazingly well owns both machines and he hinted to go with the T2 as well because honestly I don't really know when I would water hunt that much. Thanks for the great advice.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the T2 and the AT-Pro is a very good combo if you can afford both get them..... I`m thinking of trading my or selling my F-75 for the AT.
Gary

Are you serious Gary? Wow. I always thought if I bought another detector, it would be the upgraded F75. All the more reason to wear out my ATP, lol.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the input I appreciate it. I have always relic hunted by sound and honestly very rarely ever paid attention to the vdi numbers my machine gave me and I have always done very well that way. I am sorta leaning towards the T2. I wish I could afford both machines but that's not possible right now. A friend who has done amazingly well owns both machines and he hinted to go with the T2 as well because honestly I don't really know when I would water hunt that much. Thanks for the great advice.

Have you ever gone home though because it started raining, or had to be really careful where you put the detector down? The waterproof feature has some pluses besides dunking them. You're right about the VDI numbers. How many good targets were passed over because they fell in the lower range, all because it was being masked or was a coin lying on it's side? I don't think any of us hunt by numeric display alone...we all swing and listen...swing and listen...

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are relic hunting you should get the T2 SE. Every colonial relic that I have found was found with it, my first colonial relic was found 3 days after getting my T2. Maybe someone here with both T2 and AT pro can help.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good buddy of mine had an AT Pro for years. He hunted the hell out of a couple of colonial sites. He bought a new T2 SE and brought it to these sites. It didn't get a whole lot more but it did nail some deep keepers that the Pro had missed. He always said if the T2 wasn't so noisy it'd be perfect . Well now you can have it all. Trust me when I tell you that the T2 and F75 are both extremely deep and sensitive. You cannot go wrong

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you serious Gary? Wow. I always thought if I bought another detector, it would be the upgraded F75. All the more reason to wear out my ATP, lol.
OD
Only one reason is you can take the AT-Pro in the water...and the only reason,as i have the T2 Ltd also.
Gary

OP
OP
H

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the T2 is probably the way I will go. I have a friend who is very good at metal detecting, that's an understatement lol, and he is very good with the Pro and the T2 and he sorta makes me lean toward the T2 as well. He has a youtube page. His name is aquachigger and he uses the Pro like its going out of style lol and he has given me his honest advice that the Pro is an amazing machine but if i am basically strictly land hunting then i should really think about the T2. I really don't ever get into water hunting, every once in a great while maybe, so the Pro would really be almost strictly a land based machine anyway.The thing I am trying to figure out is strictly on land are they fairly evenly matched machines or are you getting more for your money so to speak with the T2. According to what I am seeing and reading the AT Pro is a great universal machine but if you are strictly a relic hunter like me it seems like the T2 might just give you that extra little something. I am just trying to get as much info from as many sources as I can to weigh my pros and cons. One final question. I have heard that the Pro is a really good discriminator with the 5X8 coil. How does the T2 fair in trashy areas. Sorry for the long post and thank you all so much for your help.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new upgraded T2 comes with a Fast Audio mode that I've been told is lightning fast and plucks stuff out of the trash with ease. You will lose a bit of depth in this mode but the machine is fast to begin with. Btw as you know you're getting advice from one of the best treasure hunters on earth in your boy Aquachigger. Whatever he says I would do lol. If you are strictly relic and coin hunting on land buy the T2 SE. There I said it. I'll prob get killed for it but the proof is in the finds. And I plucked out 2 1600s silvers and 5 1700s silvers in my first season. The machine kicks ass buddy

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a fan of both machines, but with the recent upgrades to the T2 to make them stable they really are the better pick of the two in my opinion for what you want to do.

We also have a bundle pack with three coils on our website that makes it an even better value - Teknetics T2 LTD

For only a few bucks more you can have the 15" coil, all three coil covers, a rechargeable battery pack, a carry bag, a finds pouch, and more.

OP
OP
H

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Ahab8 for the info on the T2. You aren't kidding when you say aquachigger is one of the best out there. I have been able to see his collection before and trust me it would absolutely blow your mind lol. He is a member of a relic club that I was in and my father was President of and trust me every monthly meeting was an amazing sight to see. He respects and values the AT Pro, I don't want anyone to think I am saying he doesn't for any reason, but he did say that for what I want to do the T2 is the better choice. I tend to agree with what you, and he, are all saying. Wish I could dig a 1600's coin but in West Virginia where I am from its not so easy lol. My earliest is a 1741 Spanish 1 Reale. Anyway thanks for the information.

OP
OP
H

historygrad09

Feb 17, 2015
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to thank everyone for the information they gave me about these two machines. I pulled the trigger and bought the T2 SE and I want to thank Fort Bedford Metal Detectors for helping me with the purchase. If anyone ever needs to buy a machine give him a call. I got OUTSTANDING service, was given an AMAZING deal on a machine, and left with a huge amount of knowledge about the machine. I felt very comfortable in my decision thanks to him. Again thanks to everyone for their help.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a very wise choice and Keith is awesome. Don't tell him I said that though lol

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made a very wise choice and Keith is awesome. Don't tell him I said that though lol

How cool is that, I just got off the phone with keith from Fort bedford, Etrac ordered and shipping tomorrow, keith was awesome, made the decision to go w fort bedford simple

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions