Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Fake detectors that are so close to the originals one would never know! Buyer beware when purchasing off the internet!
I stumbled on this while searching for info about the CTX 17" coil!
I'm blown away that they are so blatant about their counterfeits!

rip off.png

Last edited:

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only purchase from an established dealer you know!!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely! And when buying used, Check the serial number with the manufacturer!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's sad when people think they're getting some incredible deal for hundreds less than everybody else. If a machine is $1500 new at basically every reputable dealer and then you see one for $900 put some thought into it. Do you really believe that somebody is that far below an msrp? Prob not guys. It's so easy to avoid this crap and if everybody bought from legit reputable dealers these guys would go away....but there's lots of people out there that just think they're getting the deal of a lifetime and getting a killer machine that's normally way out of range. Then the rude awakening happens. First Texas actually confiscated the fakes I believe it somebody sends one into them. Stay vigilant guys

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! And when buying used, Check the serial number with the manufacturer!

Yes! That too Rusty!

Another thing to remember is that old saying..."If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is!"

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go to alibaba.com and type METAL DETECTOR in the search bar. 270 pages of metal detectors. Some original, but tons of fake Garretts (ACE 150-250-350, Pinpointer), Minelabs (GPX4500 & 5000, XTerra 705), and White's.

Just another reason to hate China! HAHAHA

Mike

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if ya want crap...ignore advice given above.If you actually fall for it.I,for one,dont have your back.You are on your own

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BF1,

They have gotten really good at selling that crap on CL and Ebay. They don't advertise them as new. They say they are very lightly used, but look like new. That's why so cheap.

Its getting where you have to do a lot of homework to buy anything any more. Someone with authentic detectors will understand and accomodate. If not, don't buy from them.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can put an ad on CL saying that I am an authorized Garrett Dealer, and here is an ACE250 for $199. For something that inexpensive, most people won't check it out. For a $5000 GPX5000, bet your butt I would check them out. I have been lucky so far.

Mike

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can just call Minelab and give them the serial number and they will tell you if its real or fake. Most hi end detectors are faked....

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Just go to alibaba.com and type METAL DETECTOR in the search bar. 270 pages of metal detectors. Some original, but tons of fake Garretts (ACE 150-250-350, Pinpointer), Minelabs (GPX4500 & 5000, XTerra 705), and White's.

Just another reason to hate China! HAHAHA

Mike[/QUOTE

Actually at those prices you shouldn't be hating China.
They are simply another reason to hate Garret and Minlab. LOL

(Seriously, I have heard the Chinese CTX 3030's are superior in at least a few ways, and they come with an instruction manual in case you don't permanently carry a DVD player around with you in the field.....)

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the price tag would have set the alarm bells ringing for me straight away, only stupid people would fall for a scam like that.

SS

RCDIGGS

Greenie
Apr 17, 2013
southeast NH
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE, BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM, TEKNETICS T2, GARRETT PROPOINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a person that bought a "like new" T2 on ebay, only to find out it was a fake. When we compared his to mine, You could tell the difference. If you were not familiar with a T2, it would be tough to tell. The one quick way we found to tell, is we could not pull up a software version on the display. The detector does work, and he is still using it, but it is not even close to a T2 in performance. My BH platinum kicks its butt bad.......

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do the frugal get the best price? I always said "if you watch your nickels, the dollars will take care of themselves".
And a msrp is BS! All dealers within $20 on a At Pro speaks to me. Great service though. Lol
Ray

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do the frugal get the best price? I always said "if you watch your nickels, the dollars will take care of themselves".
And a msrp is BS! All dealers within $20 on a At Pro speaks to me. Great service though. Lol
Ray

Lol. Do I have some bargains for you friend 8-)

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would anyone do business with a place named Alibaba!! Didn't we all read or hear Alibaba and the 40 Thieves as kinds?!? :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread