The $12,500 Metal Detector

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

New Minelab gold detector: $12,499.00
Most expensive Garrett gold detector: $799.95*

Is any detector worth twelve and a half thousand dollars? Are you buying more than just the parts that make up this machine? What exactly does "up to 40% more depth" mean?

On the other hand, if you live in gold country, one good find could pay for this machine. This is head-swimming territory, and I'm not sure how to handle it. What do YOU think?

*(To be fair, Garrett also has a deepseeker detector package at $3,280, but that one comes with two coils and several accessories and does much more than find gold.)

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as much as I like & Respect Minelab,
I do believe their pricing leaves allot of questions on their greed .
I'm not going to do the math but that pretty much tells me they want
a half a pound of gold from everyone who uses one.

yes it limits how many are out there,
but it also limits their sales.

and invites China to make allot of money on fakes they can produce for under a hundred dollars. if they ever get the circuitry right ... look out !

the upside the companies apparent profit potential
keeps them on the top of the list of detector companies
coming up with New & improved detectors :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seen them discounted to the mid 9k range in ads so it makes more appealing to some. But really still this a hard one to get the Mrs to accept. :) Then again get this model into the conversation of the next detector purchase argue your point, then reach a compromise of something a bit cheaper, a win-win for both.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen them discounted to the mid 9k range in ads so it makes more appealing to some. But really still this a hard one to get the Mrs to accept. :) Then again get this model into the conversation of the next detector purchase argue your point, then reach a compromise of something a bit cheaper, a win-win for both.

that 3030 is looking pretty cheap.
may as well get a 5000 huh :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing about Minelab …GREED RULES… That is there motto..

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had the money to burn I'd buy one! I enjoy new technology since it drives industries forward and pushes other companies to compete and innovate.

Happy Hunting!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me that if I had enough disposable income to buy that detector, I wouldn't need that detector.

I'd be sitting in some Caribbean bar sipping drinks with umbrella's in them, not digging dirt for coins and teeny nuggets.

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have a popcorn popper built in to be so expensive:)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Discounting the GPZ 7000 as soon as it begins hitting the market, does not bode well for Minelab! One expects that discounted units will be sold down the road as inventories begin to pile up and sit on the shelf for long periods but not this early in the game.

Frank

CanadaGold

Feb 16, 2015
Ontario
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it can tell the difference between aluminum and gold conductivity also copper and silver conductivity I think I would give it a go used.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me that if I had enough disposable income to buy that detector, I wouldn't need that detector.

I'd be sitting in some Caribbean bar sipping drinks with umbrella's in them, not digging dirt for coins and teeny nuggets.
WOW i will go along with that … You do not see to many with a big bank account out there swinging a detector..

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

We are not all broke, and not everybody hunts for profit, but I'm sure many of you guys will buy it........

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess if you can manufacture half as many as the previous model and make as much or more net profit, why not?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridiculous pricing! Maybe it has a cloaking devise so others may think you are just walking about. Now all you would need is an invisible clothes.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We are not all broke, and not everybody hunts for profit, but I'm sure many of you guys will buy it........

Well heck el padron, give us an unboxing video and a test report. It may be very well worth it.

I'm anxious to hear your report.

l

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for that price, I'd want a Guarantee it can Draw me towards large nuggets
like a Magnet, Or manufacture Nuggets & spit them out like a bubble gum machine
in non gold areas :laughing7:

Probably worth it in Australia But where else are the nuggets not as rare as pa?

Last edited:

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For that kind of money, I'd want an attached monitor that images the size and shape of every metal object underneath you and at what depth. That way you can say "Pop top... pop top.... 1986 quarter..... gold nugget shaped like Homer Simpson's ear... bottle cap."

:D

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me that if I had enough disposable income to buy that detector, I wouldn't need that detector. I'd be sitting in some Caribbean bar sipping drinks with umbrella's in them, not digging dirt for coins and teeny nuggets.

If I won the lottery (or was wicked loaded) I would quit my job and still detect every day. HOWEVER, I would have a butler following me around serving me drinks with umbrellas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread