th.jpg

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Holy Grail is the big brother of The Hand of Faith nugget... The Foot of Freedom nugget... it's just waiting out there in the desert for me. Yep I'm looking for a gold boulder, but I would gladly take a cache of mint silver or gold coinage as second prize.

The Holy Grail would be either the equivalent of the Atocha or the Central America in waters one could lay claim take full possession with a tax loophole that allows them to claim it as income instead of treasure.

Emerald encrusted golden crosses bigger than a mans hand, hundreds of feet of gold chain, gold bars, gold coins, rings, crowns, rubies, emeralds diamonds, silver, cannons, bells, all yours to keep no questions asked! Go big or go home right? :laughing7:

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having only been detecting 2 years my Holy Grail list is way to long to post here. But even a mercury dime, a IH penny, V nickel would make me happier than I can say. That is what keeps me going or anything I happen to find along the way.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
My Holy Grail? Problably Selena Gomez before Jeff Gordon meets her because once she sees him, she will never leave his side...

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 10 dollar US gold coin. Could be in the next scoop, that's what I love about this hobby.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My holy grail would be to find the holy grail itself. I does supposed to be buried here in Nova Scotia you know! [emoji12]

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I only find old iron wagon parts and horseshoes I'm still holding out for the "Golden Horseshoe" I know has to be here somewhere!!!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many Canadians, I'm in search of some beaver.

But not just any beaver.......

HBC 98-1460(4) - medal2.jpg

The golden beaver is my holy grail.

:notworthy:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
One of the aluminum dimes that the mint made as a test. They vanished. Frank five star.png

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An intact Viking/Saxon sword or similar OR King Johns lost treasure! supposedly lost only a few miles from here.

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's easy, a 1787 Brasher Doubloon. The last one sold in January for $4,582,500.00. There was one found in the ground in Philadelphia in 1897. One report says it was found by workman digging to put in a sewer and another report says this was found digging out a cellar. Either way, it came out of the ground. As they were made here in NY, you never know. Last year I found both silver and copper coins from the 1780's, why not gold?

1787-brasher-doubloon.jpg

Last edited:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's easy, a 1787 Brasher Doubloon. The last one sold in January for $4,582,500.00. There was one found in the ground in Philadelphia in 1897. One report says it was found by workman digging to put in a sewer and another report says this was found digging out a cellar. Either way, it came out of the ground. As they were made here in NY, you never know. Last year I found both silver and copper coins from the 1780's, why not gold?

View attachment 1125946

Value aside that would be one crazy coin to find. Maybe one was snuck up here to Nova Scotia and lost. Wishful thinking I know! Haha

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love seeing people like Don that dream as big as possible. Why not? We know their are crazy rare coins in the dirt. I guarantee you there's prob a coin out there that's a one of a kind. Why not one of us? We go out there and dig up lots of old coins. If anybody has the best odds it's gotta be us. I truly hope you find your Brasher Doubloon Don. That would make my NE Shilling look like an Indian Head lol....but I'd still take my NE

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love seeing people like Don that dream as big as possible. Why not? We know their are crazy rare coins in the dirt. I guarantee you there's prob a coin out there that's a one of a kind. Why not one of us? We go out there and dig up lots of old coins. If anybody has the best odds it's gotta be us. I truly hope you find your Brasher Doubloon Don. That would make my NE Shilling look like an Indian Head lol....but I'd still take my NE

Here it is Abe....
Oh The Chain Cent would be great because of what it represents. .
George

Attachments

• 1425222718069.jpg
    1425222718069.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
C

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 10 dollar US gold coin. Could be in the next scoop, that's what I love about this hobby.

The "could be in the next scoop" attitude is one of the things that most appealed to me about this great hobby. Well said! Here's hoping you find that $10 Eagle! :)

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Why not dream big? Most people aren't aware of the Economite hoard. There were 400 quarters dated between 1818-1828. In addition to 150 1794 half dollars, 650 1795 half dollars, 2 1796's a 1797 and 111,356 "common" half dollars dated between 1808 - 1836. Talk about dreaming big. If you want some great reading buy a copy of American Coin Treasures and Hoards by Q. David Bowers.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not dream big? Most people aren't aware of the Economite hoard. There were 400 quarters dated between 1818-1828. In addition to 150 1794 half dollars, 650 1795 half dollars, 2 1796's a 1797 and 111,356 "common" half dollars dated between 1808 - 1836. Talk about dreaming big. If you want some great reading buy a copy of American Coin Treasures and Hoards by Q. David Bowers.

I hear you brother. I've studied a few hoards. Obviously the Castine Hoard is cool because it was in Maine and the story behind it and Baron de Castin connection would lead you to believe there could be more as he was ultra wealthy. Oh yeh a bunch of beautiful Mass silvers doesn't suck either. Hard to get an accurate number of them but I think realistically it was probably between 40-50. They tend to exaggerate sometimes

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of things on my most wanted list, but some that immediately come to mind are a colonial or large denomination 19th gold coin, any 1790s US silver, a whole colonial black glass bottle with monogrammed seal, or a whole tree coin (already have a cut piece from one). But more than likely my holy grail find will probably be one that I'm not expecting, or even thinking of, like the Lord Baltimore sixpence I recovered back in Oct. I had never even thought of digging one of those, and boom there it was. Needless to say, I love surprises. But the most satisfying aspect of making an incredible find isn't in the find itself, but in the fact that you did the research, got permission, knew where and how to hunt the site, and then came away with the big prize. That's what it's all about for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread